Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

A tank build sub forum?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Chow_Hound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A tank build sub forum?

I was sitting here tonight and reading over the lastest tank build and/or rebuild build project. I am envious of the talents of many who have posted their builds and projects. I am thankful this forum is here and it has helped with even my small projects is some fashion or another.

To the point... Would it be possible to have these builds in a sub-forum for ease of reference for others who may learn from from the successes of others?

I love this forum and and commend those who moderate. Thank you again.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:28 PM
James S.

Default RE: A tank build sub forum?

heres my latest... HL M41A3 conversion to Tamiya
http://heatarmor.com/joomla/index.ph...d=69&Itemid=29

I also like reading about builds.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:49 PM
JerB

WOW great job jstewa

Yeah I agree, I enjoy reading about peoples builds
Old 12-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Amuro

ORIGINAL: BBC_KT

I was sitting here tonight and reading over the lastest tank build and/or rebuild build project. I am envious of the talents of many who have posted their builds and projects. I am thankful this forum is here and it has helped with even my small projects is some fashion or another.

To the point... Would it be possible to have these builds in a sub-forum for ease of reference for others who may learn from from the successes of others?

I love this forum and and commend those who moderate. Thank you again.

I second BBC_KT's idea!!!
Old 12-03-2006, 08:39 PM
bullyhys

Excellent job, keep us posted as to it success on the field.

Bullyhys

PS

If anyone would be interested I could post my latest project, My Kit Bash Ferdanand (see the Gallery). I sure there will be some who may dislike it.

The idea was taken from a auction I saw on ebay, I took it a slightly different direction as a kind of experiment.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:02 PM
vollenc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BBC KT I totally agree on more build details.

Jstewa41,

Nice Bulldog! I like the gearbox and motor upgrade. Great work on the model, and your website.

Bullyhys,

Let's see that Elephant. I certainly won't give you a hard time.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:35 AM
bullyhys

Ok here goes,

My Ferdanand started with a beatup Tamiya KT chassis, the only functional parts was the suspension system. Definately not cost effective to restore to operations. Then my son and I saw the Elephant conversion kit on ebay and we started brain storming about the possibilities.

So that said, we'll start with the chassis modifications. The actual Elephant has 2 sprockets for each track, we thought it would be cool to have both powered. I had some left over parts from my HL Tiger1 upgrades (the plastic gear drives and sprockets with tracks) so I started with those.
My Ferdanand is powered by 4 HL Tiger1 gear drives two per track.( the cost was $6.50 a pair) As I stated my Ferdanand is a kit bash project. My power control is handled by a Sabertooth Dual ESC which can handle up to 18 amps. Since I have 2 sets of plastic tracks from my HL Tigers I used them and added some extra links to get the proper look. All driving tests were very successful.

To be continued..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63233.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	571437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64002.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	571438  
Old 12-04-2006, 12:54 AM
pantiger man

Beastiest bulldog ive seen and probably the fastest aswell great work and also great work on the elephant bully.

kind regards pantigerman.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:15 AM
ksoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bullyhys,

Looks like we won't be battlen' till after the new year. That should give you some time to get 'Killer' ready. Just remind me not to take you on head on. The more variety the better!

Kevin O'C
<S.C.A.T.>

www.socalareatankers.com
Old 12-04-2006, 06:29 AM
schutzstaffel

using 4 motors,
do you think you have ganed more torque(climbing power)?
great piece of mecanic [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 12-04-2006, 10:59 AM
bullyhys

Kevin this monster would give some modern tanks a run in a toe to toe slug fest.

The project is progressing very very well.

bullyhys
Old 12-04-2006, 11:09 AM
bullyhys

schutzstaffel

Oh yeah, and provides some other advantages that were made appearent during the chassis shake-down.

Example: during drive testing one of the drive sprocket came loose and fell off this went un noticed until the track on the affected side bound up and stopped the chassis.

The slow turns are really cool when tracking a target, It can track as if it had a turret and the terain does not seem to interfear with the movement.

Did I mention that it will climb? even with the upper hull attached I can get into and out of places that my Tigers cant do as well.

The ESC is a large part of how well this tank works.

bullyhys

Old 12-04-2006, 11:30 AM
bullyhys

ORIGINAL: bullyhys

Ok here goes,

My Ferdanand started with a beatup Tamiya KT chassis, the only functional parts was the suspension system. Definately not cost effective to restore to operations. Then my son and I saw the Elephant conversion kit on ebay and we started brain storming about the possibilities.

So that said, we'll start with the chassis modifications. The actual Elephant has 2 sprockets for each track, we thought it would be cool to have both powered. I had some left over parts from my HL Tiger1 upgrades (the plastic gear drives and sprockets with tracks) so I started with those.
My Ferdanand is powered by 4 HL Tiger1 gear drives two per track.( the cost was $6.50 a pair) As I stated my Ferdanand is a kit bash project. My power control is handled by a Sabertooth Dual ESC which can handle up to 18 amps. Since I have 2 sets of plastic tracks from my HL Tigers I used them and added some extra links to get the proper look. All driving tests were very successful.

To be continued..
The upper hull for my Ferdanand is constructed from 1/8th wood veneer paneling, the model is scaled up from a card model kit that I have had for some time. Using a computer program from my model airplane days. the card model kit scale is 1/25 and I scaled it up to 1/16 and printed the patterns from my computer.

The main gun is installed and has a recoil motor from a Tamiya Tiger1. I still have to install the gun elevation system.

I will add aditional info as it becomes availible.

Enjoy

bullyhys

Name:	Db84804.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	571633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83134.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	571634  
Old 12-04-2006, 01:03 PM
FFR2608

I agree to a builders sub forum and still want the Tamiya/ Henglong split up also. I have an HL tiger and love it but dont need search through dozens of " HL not working properly, NEED HELP" threads to find something on tank builds or Tamiya related issues.

Is this something that could happen?

DH

Old 12-23-2006, 12:34 PM
Chow_Hound

Wow Jstewa41, That is a great job on your conversion. Now it makes me want one even more LOL.

Bullyhys, great work, I can't wait to see how it all comes out. I'm waiting on pins and needles.

I love combing through all the threads and finding all the builds everyone has done. Be it Tamiya or Heng Long or what ever else some one has worked on. So many talented people out there and so many ideas.

Song time.... (you have to use yor imagination cuz i've had to much egg nog already so just hum the tune of "Mr. Postman")

"Please Mr. Moderator, look and see. If there is a build, a build for me. oh please Mr. Moderator please deliver the builder, the sooner the better. "
Old 12-23-2006, 01:29 PM
raimian

i think thats a nice monster of a tank.

do you still have your patterns for the build?? , it would be great if we can have a go with your patterns and maybe make a heng long one.

also where did you get your esc from?? as good esc's are hard to come across.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:02 PM
crosswind4

Great Idea Guy's

I have been looking everywhere for assembly instructions on a Tamiya KT without luck.

Just want to see if I can justify the cost before I jump in with both feet.

Merry Crhistmas Guy's

Dave
Old 12-23-2006, 03:56 PM
bullyhys

Work is progressing nicely.

I just changed out the gun mount for a more scale looking gun (a la Tamiya King Tiger) Looks so much better

I have part of the sound setup installed and should have more work done by the weekend.

Still have to setup the gun elevation unit.

To:Raimian

I still have my patterns, actually I have several sets these were scaled to use the OLD Tamiya KT Chassis which is slightly larger than the HL Tiger 1.
In any case the answer is yes.

The ESC I used was found here (Sabretooth 10rc) http://www.dimensionengineering.com/

Have a Merry Xmas everyone.

bullyhys

Name:	Zw69606.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	582390  
Old 12-24-2006, 03:56 PM
raimian

cool i cant wait to have a go at building a elefant from your plans. ive got enough spare parts and materials do make it over a week if i work hard at it.

i was thinking if everyone who makes scatch builds could make a scanned plans pack then some of us others with lesser craft skills can make cool tanks too.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:24 PM
bullyhys

We all have different skills, as a general rule I don't build ground models all that often.

And when I do some times I get lucky with the results. FYI the camera has been very kind to my creation.

I borrowed from my model airplane experience from when I built and flew Control line scale, that and my research into R/C electric profile foam planes.

I can't build planes do to work space limitations, so R/C tanks was my alternative choice for something to do as a hobby. In other words I learning too.

raimian check your email.

Regards

bullyhys
Old 12-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Benny Boy

Hay Bullyhys can you please send me a 1:16 scale patterns of the Elephant because i cant find any on the web so could you send me some please. thanks
Old 12-28-2006, 08:22 PM
bullyhys

Benny Boy,

My Ferdinand/Elephant is only setup as a conversion body, ya gots ta have a chassis availible.

When I scaled this I took measurments from the 20yr old Tamiya KT chassis.

What chassis are you planning to use? Since the model patterns are a computer file and setup as a Tile format ya gets some 56 or so pages to print and then put together.

Drop me an email and we can work out some details.

I'm planning to post some new updated pictures hopefully this weekend.

Regards

bullyhys