Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Newbie with Tamiya Leo

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 06:35 PM
templarlock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with Tamiya Leo

I just found out that I will be getting my first R/C tank; a Tamiya Leo2 full option. I am new to R/C but not to modelling. I built tons of models when I was a kid, but haven't done any in well over 15 years.

Any tips on assembly, accessories, painting, and the like would be appreciated. I have scoured this forum and learned that I will need more ceramic grease, lots of paint/primer, and the like.

I am thinking about gettting the gun stabilizer also. Is this necessary?

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Supreme Reign

Default RE: Newbie with Tamiya Leo

Wow!! That's some present. The gun stabilizer isn't necessary unless you just gotta have complete realism. It'll keep the main gun level while going over uneven surfaces. It's also ridiculously expensive.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:40 PM
templarlock

I'll probably wait, then, on the stabilizer. Is the Leopard 2A6 one of the better "starter" R/C tank kits? From what I have read there, they can take a fair bit of abuse.

I also recall something about getting metal suspension parts due to the plastic stock ones cracking or something. Should I look into this?
Old 12-03-2006, 08:41 PM
templarlock

I almost forgot - are there any "after market" accessories for the Leopard 2? Something about a turret-mounted MG or something?
Old 12-03-2006, 09:45 PM
templarlock

Sorry for the numerous questions, but as the topic says, I am a newbie.

Is there any book or website where I can get a winter camo paint scheme guide for my soon-to-be-arriving tank?
Old 12-04-2006, 08:06 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

templarlock

Saw your comment asking for tips, here is a review that may help:

http://www.sead.us/kitreviews.html

And whether the Leo is a better 'starter' RC tank kit? Well, lets just say it does not get any better than the Leo in 16th scale. The Leo is not really a starter kit but is a great place to start!
Old 12-04-2006, 05:21 PM
templarlock

Thanks, Eric!
Old 12-11-2006, 04:40 PM
templarlock

I went to the local hobby shop to look for a transmitter for my hopefully-soon-to-arrive Leopard. I'm new to R/C of any kind and the guy at the shop talked me into buying a Hitec Laser 4-FM, a basic 7.2V DC quick charger, and a Venom 1800 NiCad battery.

Unfortunately, the guy knew little to nothing about R/C tanks but a heck of a lot about Tamiya R/C cars; he told me the transmitter would work fine as would the battery. He also said the battery is a bit more powerful and has more run-time than the standard 6-cell.

Did I get anything incompatible or not recommended?
Old 12-11-2006, 05:30 PM
TANKDUEL

Take back the battery and charger, your Leo won't last long on that batt. Instead get a NIMH battery, the higher the MAH (3000+) the better and a good charger.

I would also suggest that with your first RC tank you just build it stock and you can see how you like it before doing any mods.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:07 PM
sneff

You may want to take back the Hitec radio also. I own the leopard a2 and I know the instructions show the multifunction unit set up for the Futaba 4wd 4ch radio. I'm not positive that the Hitec radio will work properly. If the throttle on the hitec radio you bought has a ratchet I'm pretty sure I remember the instructions saying it wont work correctly. If you get the Futaba radio you wont have to worry about any problems like that.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXBCP2**&P=V

As for the paint do yourself a favor and get the Tamiya stuff. It may cost a bit more but it works great. I airbrushed the the main colors and the camo. The A2 comes with a big fold out sheet that shows the tank from every angle. So after I painted the main Nato green color I penciled in the camo scheme using the fold out as a reference. Get the Tamiya Metal primer also so you can prime the gun barrel and the metal parts before painting.
I'm not sure if you know this or not but the Leopard A2 takes almost 100 bearings. I chose to just use bearings in the transmission and just use the oilite bushings on the suspension arms. the transmission came out great and I can actually push the tank and the tracks roll freely.
When you get to the wiring and the lighting take your time. All the lights are sent through fiber optic cables and they take a little time to get situated.
The 1800 battery will work fine but you will want to upgrade to more mah hours in the future.
If you have any other questions dont be afraid to ask!!
[img][/img][img][/img]
Old 12-11-2006, 06:15 PM
James S.

Be sure your radio is on 27 or 75 mhz .. if its 72 mhz .. take it back its illegal for Ground use in the USA you could wind up crashing somebodies expensive plane.

Also I see your in VA. The AAF in Danville has an indoor battle field. The next event will be the Winter H*E*A*T fun run on December 30th.
I encourage you to come even if your tank is not complete.
http://www.heatarmor.com
http://www.aaftankmuseum.com/

For batteries I have had good service from www.maxamps.com they have 4400 mAh NMiH packs and 10,000 mAh Lipo packs..and you can spec which plug you want. (tamiya, deans) Price differance is alot so it depends on your Budget.

Quick chargers suck as do NiCAD. Spend a little more and you will be much happier.
There are alot of good peak chargers on the market. I use a MRC 977 Smart Brain but like I said there are many good ones its a matter of preferance... and pocketbook.

As for the Leo.. nothing like starting at the top

Old 12-12-2006, 06:53 AM
templarlock

Thanks for the continued help!

My transmitter does have the ratchet sound on the left joystick; I guess that needs to be returned. I will also take back the battery and get a more powerful one.

Also, thanks for the tips on using Tamiya paint and the other painting tips; I need all I can get. I will be trying to paint the Leopard with the "unofficial" winter camo scheme; using white instead of black. I hope it turns out well. I have done quite a bit of web research and learned that there is no officially-sanctioned NATO winter camo scheme.

And thanks for the invite to Danville. I live two hours west of Roanoke close to the Tennessee line, so Danville is quite a haul. However, if I get the chance I'll try and drop by.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:22 AM
sneff

I went back through the leopard instructions and this is what it says about the radio system. It can only be on AM or FM, no PCM or HRS systems will work. And the throttle must be self centering. Which means it needs to have the spring inside to bring it back to neutral. If the Hitec radio you got can be modified to accept the spring then it will work. It may just be easier to get the Futaba radio system. It costs about the same as the Laser.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:11 PM
templarlock

Thanks very much. I am at the office right now, but I recall my Laser transmitter being FM. The joystick on the left is the one with the ratchet and does not spring back to the center. Is that the one used as the throttle? The joystick on the right does spring back to the center.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:55 PM
sneff

yes, the left up and down stick will control your throttle
Old 12-12-2006, 07:00 PM
templarlock

Sneff,

Do the bearings you were talking about come with the kit?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:07 PM
James S.

you can set up the throttle and turning to work on the right hand stick... I have 4 tamiya tanks set up to drive with the right and fight with the left. ... If the leo is differant I would be very surprised.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:56 PM
sneff

Well as far as I'm concerened for as much as this tank costs it should come with all ball bearings, but unfortunatly it doesnt. All the bearings for the transmission are included. All the rest are oil lite bushings. Each suspension arm takes 3 12x8 bushings for a total of 42 and I just didnt think it was that important to have bearings on a part that moves a 1/2" up and down. I also used the bushings in the wheels because my tank doesnt get driven very much. If someone were planning on using the leo for battle events I would say spend the money and get the bearings.

I suppose you can set up the radio to drive on the right stick but I know I personally wouldnt be able to get used to that. you would just have to switch the leads into the DMD unit. the only problem with that is you always have to make sure the stick is in the middle so the gun barrel isnt moving up and down .
Old 12-12-2006, 10:08 PM
James S.

Yes the left stick not auto-centering is a pain ... on radios like the Futaba 6yg both sticks auto center. .. on the 4yf it costs ~$2 to get the two parts you need to make the left hand stick auto-center.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:43 AM
templarlock

I think I'd rather get another transmitter instead of trying to modify the Laser. I would probably mess the thing up if I tried.

Are the metal detailing parts from Backyard Armor worth getting? It looks like most, if not all, of them are substitutes for the plastic ones that come with the kit.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:41 AM
James S.

Some detailing parts are just metal substitutes for the plastic ones in the kit. Some like the periscope covers for the Pershing are not. Its a matter of personal preferance for the most part.

I always buy metal barrels if the kits come with plastic (sherman for instance or WSN T34) but again thats personal preferance.

I wish someone would put out a correct scale barrel/muzzle break for the HL M41 walker.... one on the tank is about 2 " too short... looks stubby compared to the one on the real walker I have seen.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:28 PM
templarlock

Well, the hobby store I bought the Laser 4 transmitter system will not take it back, won't exchange it, won't even give me store credit. So, it looks like they have lost my business as well as the business of anyone I talk to.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:14 AM
James S.

What is the name of this store?
Did they tell you no refunds or exchanges when you bought the radio?
(I don't do any business over ~20.00 with a company that does not give refunds)
What band is the radio (27 or 75 if they sold you a 72 mhz for a ground radio you would have legal recourse)
Old 12-15-2006, 09:21 AM
sneff

Thats crazy. I've worked in the hobby industry for years and they absolutely can send that back!!! You only bought it last week. the they should just automatically order you the Futaba system and do an R.A. (return authorization) with horizon or whoever they ordered it from and send it back.
Whats the name of the hobby shop???
Old 12-15-2006, 12:35 PM
templarlock

The hobby shop is local to me, Gizmo Hobbies. The transmitter was a 75 mHz, so no go there. The receipt said "no refunds, no returns" but I wanted to exchange the thing. I told them a way we could both win: they keep my money, they take back the brand-new transmitter which they can sell to someone else, they order me the Futaba, I pay the difference in price (if any) between the Futaba and the Hitec. They said no.

Luckily, there is another hobby shop in the area and I got the Futaba from them today. The owner says he gets stories like mine all the time. He told me that if I couldn't sell the Hitec on-line or elsewhere, he would take it off my hands and sell it for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.