Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Wecohe Recoil unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 03:51 PM
barra733

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wecohe Recoil unit

I have just modified my recoil unit with the Wecohe upgrade. Although I haven't fitted to the turret yet it doesn't seem to work. With the Tamiya parts fitted when I test fired the gun the recoil 'stay' moved backwards then forwards driven by the large black plastic cog, thus simulating the recoil then the barrel moving back forwards. With the new worm cog and brass large cog fitted (as below) the large cog is driven anti-clockwise so that the 'un-cogged' part of the large brass wheel is next to the worm cog. This obviously provides no movement so the microswitch isn't activated and the motor just keeps driving. I know this all sounds complicated but if you've fitted this part I hope you know what I'm on about.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28391.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	573342  
Old 12-07-2006, 11:35 PM
schutzstaffel

Default RE: Wecohe Recoil unit

thanks for that sharp pic. , and infos
Old 12-08-2006, 06:43 AM
James S.

I have a friend who has this installed and working I will ask him.
I plan on installing this in the Tiger 1 I am building and I am going to try and retro fit it in my Pershing. Working on a bracket to install tiger1 recoil unit in M26 turret.

It just looks very cool.

Off the top of my head the and having never installed it could it be the gear is installed upside down?
Old 12-08-2006, 06:58 AM
James S.

I emailed my friend a link to your picture.. but from looking at it closer I think the gear is just not turned correctly when the barrel is all the way forward it seems to me that there should only be 1 or 2 teeth engaged when the gun fires it starts to rotate hits the smooth section of the gear and the barrel slams back then the worm gear reengages and to move the barrel back forward.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:50 AM
James S.

Response from my friend who has the recoil unit installed

I think you are correct about the image. If you look at the two rails near the mantlet, you will see two rubber "gaskets" (little washers). I'll bet that two is too many and it keeps the barrel from running out fully, preventing the lower gear from moving around freely. I had the same problem and I fixed it by only using one black rubber washer on each of the rails.

Hope the info helps
Old 12-11-2006, 06:38 PM
namdoc69

[&o] barra733 hope you have better luck with your recoil unit then I did.
Ordered one from BackYardArmor several months ago and it never worked. Gun barrel would reach full recoil and then stop, woudn't budge, only way I could get gun barrel to return was to physically pull on it. Tried retiming the brass cog gear, removed one and then all of the rubber bumpers on the two shafts and that didn't even help. Seem to me the brass cog was binding on something but could not find out what. Other problem I had was the large central spring kept unhooking from the front end. I diddled arround so much with that spring that eventully pulled it out of shape. Sent several emails to BYA but they never
responded. In frustration, I removed the unit and went back to the old tamiya recoil unit which works just fine. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:36 AM
EugeniRUS

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is working 50/50. If you miss a tooth it does not work. In time a tooth shifts and it is not working again. In my opinion, it is a waste of money. In my next tanks I will keep to standard recoil system.
Wecohe suspension upgrade is working fine.