Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Another L plate tank driver

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Another L plate tank driver

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 02:42 PM
karma99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another L plate tank driver

Hi all
Just wanted to say Hi and introduce myself. I've been lurking around here on and off since June, and I've been a tank owner.. and then not, and then will be soon! Let me explain..
3-4 years ago I bought an RC Abrams (having read around here, I think it might be an old VS) whilst on holiday and had some fun blasting it around. I tired of it after a while due to constant track loss (rubber tracks) and because it was modern and my real interest is WW2 armour.
Then in the summer this year for my Birthday my wife got me a 1/16 Tiger I. I'd never seen such a cool (and huge) Tiger model other than the ££££ Tamiya ones, which I knew it wasn't. Well as most of you have worked out easily, it was a Hen Long. "Was".. interesting word to choose describing it.. not really! Turns out it was an old Hen Long (non-smoke/sound) unreliable heap!
Sure enough, 3rd time of driving it stopped working and that was that. I sent it back to the company for a replacement, and in the meantime I read this site from front to back, learning that my tank was going to be a "problem child" even after replacement.
1 week later... they gave me a refund, not the replacement they'd offered!
It was then I decided that the next Tiger purchase would NOT be an old style Hen Long!
And so last Saturday I finally ordered my Hen Long S/S with metal gearboxes... oh and metal tracks and spindles and idlers and now each morning is spent pacing up and down waiting for Parcel Force to deliver it!

Once I've run it in a bit, it'll be stripped down, modded, painted and made to look like some of the AWESOME examples you guys have posted on here. The inspiration from seeing what you've produced and the advice that's contained in this forum is going to be invaluable I'm sure. I've not made model kits for 15+ years but can't wait to make this Tiger my own.

So after far too many words... errr... Hi!
Old 12-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Harquebus

Default RE: Another L plate tank driver

Welcome to the forum, karma99!

Interesting story you have about your prior ownership of a HL Tiger I. I must say you are a one-of-a-kind steadfast and stubborn kind of fellow who likes to take chances.

I applaud and commend you for wanting to tackle yet another HL RC tank in seemingly complete disregard of the problems you've had with your first one. That's great.

The 1/16 Tamiya tanks are great kits if you want to merely assemble--but the HL, while they come prebuilt, are a great inspiration for tinkering, improvement, enhancement and all sorts of modifications (as you are no doubt fully aware) for very little investment.

Looking forward to seeing your results,

-Harquebus
Old 12-20-2006, 01:38 PM
karma99

hehe, yeah I guess stubborn is right. Honestly, I'd love a Tamiya but can't justify the expense to the wife.. maybe if I get into the Hen Long's enough then one day she'll see the "need" for a Tamiya

It arrived today by the way (except the metal idlers, they're coming in the New Year). Any advice from metal track owners on do's and don'ts for fitting the new tracks would be much appreciated.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a non S+S Tiger and upgraded with all the metal bits.

The only problem I've had with it was that it kept throwing its right track (metal tracks). I fitted metal suspension arms and it's not thrown a track since. So I'd suggest getting some metal suspension arms as the plastic ones are too flimsy.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:45 AM
karma99

Well I'd have to say, I couldn't be more pleased!
It runs like a dream. The metal tracks make it look like a heavy tank when it's running, and despite an hour of giving it plenty of direction change, single track turns (I like to drive it as close to the real thing as I can, those "Super Spins" are HORRIBLE!) the tracks stayed firmly where they should be.
I ended up using an extra link on each side too, giving them that "real Tiger" track look where they hang on the top of the road wheels and it still ran a treat. Time will tell if it will remain as such!

Mato Toys have the metal arms for about £5 and there's a set on Ebay with a starting bid of £8 too so I'll take your advice Wozwasnt and get them just to secure my future as it were, can do without snapping anything.

One thing I didn't consider, after looking at it upside down as I took out the battery I noticed quite a few of the wife's long hairs around the wheel spindles that I had to clear out. Something I'm sure the German's never had to deal with!