Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Sherman?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 06:25 AM
steve73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Sherman?

I'm living out in Japan and reliving my childhood!!! In the summer I stumbled across a Marui Tiger in an electric store. When I realised it could fire BB's I just had to have one to drive and fire round my house.
It was after I got it that I found this site and started reading and looking at the great pictures of your builds.
So I thought OK I'm here at the home of Tamiya, lets build a tank...

I decided to go for the Sherman 105mm Howitzer full option, not because of the price or from what I have read here, a good beginners tank. But because my Grandad was in the 8th Army in WW2 fighting in North Africa, Sicily, Italy and Austria. Before the war he was trained as a blacksmith. Upon entering service he was assigned to maintaining the running gear on the Shermans and Churchill tanks used by the British. Usually this meant repairing and replacing tracks first in the red hot deserts of Africa and then in the waist deep dust and then mud of Italy. A very hard job I am sure.......... After all the stories he has told me, thats why I went for the Sherman.

As I have never built anything RC I have decided to leave both the tank and the paint-work nice and simple, no weathering, damage etc. As you can imagine I have no problem getting materials, but I do have a question that I really need answering. It states in the instruction/building manual that you should use SYNTHETIC RUBBER CEMENT. I have checked all over the model shops and I'm unable to find it. I've seen Tamiya CA glue (I think its like super-glue) is this the stuff I should get? Please help me!!!
I will post some pictures as the work progresses, any build tips will be greatly appreciated.

Anyway on my last visit to one of the model stores on Friday night for some paint I was again tempted. This time I walked away with a Wild Willy 2 Jeep!!! It was so cheap I just couldn't refuse it, 8,000 Yen. Thats about £40..... I also picked up a Tamiya Lunchbox to send back to my brother. That was only 6,000 Yen!!!!!!!

I plan to paint the jeep the same colour as the tank and the driver the same as the tank commander. In just a few months I have gone from nothing to a small collection. Who knows what's next? I did notice the Leopard, Tiger and King Tiger in the same store all at good prices. Its hard to turn down a good bargain.....................
Old 12-19-2006, 08:23 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Sherman?

Hello and welcome! Sounds like you have some really great eye-witness stories, we should all be so fortunate.

The CA glue will work fine, I recommend medium viscocity. Bonds almost anything, just be sure where its used as the 5 second bonding leaves no room for mistake.

Synthetic just means it is man-made rather than natural distillates. Just make sure it is a rubber cement rather than plastic cement. Some of the kit parts are made of different materials and will need a more general adhesive to bond them properly.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:55 PM
ksoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,

Make sure what you are using the "SYNTHETIC RUBBER CEMENT" for. If I remember it correctly, I used a silicone type product "GOOP" where it called for SRC. These tended to be parts that you might want to take apart later. The product I mention is a little messy, but has great adhesion. You can pry the pieces apart with some constant pressure, and remove the residue. CA glue will make a more permanent but brittle joint, and you will not be able to easily remove the residue.

Kevin O'C
<S.C.A.T.>
Old 12-22-2006, 02:07 AM
steve73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Thanks for the replies and answering my question. I know one of the areas that specifies SRC is for the caps that hide the screws on the return rollers. Is the silicone the same as you get in hardware stores for plumbing etc. or is it better to get model specific.