Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Newbie to tanks, very lost

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Newbie to tanks, very lost

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Mekong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to tanks, very lost

I have a brushless stampede and a 1/8 nitro warhead. Now I think its time for a tank

All I really know is I want somthing at least the size of a 1/10th stadium truck. I already have a bunch of 7.2v stick packs so somthing that uses thoes would be great. I dont know anyone else with a tank so battles are left to annoying my dog and girlfreind lol. Speed and durablity are key. I plan mostly to bash.

So how much can I expect to pay, and what would people recomend?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:52 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Newbie to tanks, very lost

Hen long walker Bulldog!
Old 12-20-2006, 01:46 AM
ah64

By bashing you mean see what it will run over? I ran mine over some boards on steep inclines, over some boxes I opened up and layed on top of each other. They seem to go over just about anything that the tracks will get a grip on. Price depends on what you want to spend, Guessing you would want something cheap but reliable right? If so a Heng Long. They are within price range of about 100 bucks. They run good, and when you get bored and want to do something new you can get some up grades for it. Most of us Like the Model quality we can get from a Tank. I myself detail, add things that are from the prototype, and make it look more realistic.
Others are like you and want to battle it out. The heng Long tanks shoot 6MM BB's in case you didnt know. Right know Mato is sold out seems like it will be that way till after X-mas. I Have ordered from Mato and they are a great Heng Long Dealer I think. I have recived my packages 2 days early in the past. and if you need to ask them something they are real nice people with straight answers. If you look at my tank I have used 7.2 Volt stick packs. I have a M26 Pershing. If you decide on one, Look at either the M26, The walker Bulldog, or the Tiger. Only because every one on the tank forum has at least one of these tanks from Heng Long and could give you great advice on Technical information or detail if you chose that route. Hope that helps Anthony. [8D]

Old 12-20-2006, 01:50 AM
ah64

This would be the whole M26 Tank I have Minus the Gun at front of the turret.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:18 AM
Mekong

Thanks alot ah64

That tank looks like a lot of fun.

How fast will the stock tank travel?

It looks like it needs two indipendent speed controls? Does it come with a MSC or ESC?

Are there any 'rolling chassies?' I really dont care about looks, I just think it would be cool to have a high powered fast, tracked RC, a turrent/gun or noise and smoke are not needed. It would be great fun to tear up any terrain, water proof the thing and crash through mud and snow...
Old 12-20-2006, 05:12 AM
Mekong

Oh and how hard do they shoot I would expect them to be like a spit wad lol
Old 12-20-2006, 06:24 AM
pantiger man

hi mekong the tanks shoot about 25 metres i think, but you could make that distance even more with a vs shooting system out of one of their tank i think thats the one but yeh these tanks are great fun and are an enjoyable hobby.

I would recommend the 1/16 scale m41a3 walker bulldog tank because its a beast.

kind regards pantigerman.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Harquebus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speed and durability you will not find in any tank discussed in this forum, except the Kyosho Blizzard which is a tracked vehicle.
These tanks, just like the real ones, break down from time to time and they've never been really fast because of the weight of all the armor. And so it goes with the miniature versions.

The one ah64 has pictured is not what they look like inside--his is heavily modified and a lot of the electronics are removed.

The Blizzard comes in electric and nitro versions. I think that is what you are looking for.

-Harque
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30781.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	580816  
Old 12-22-2006, 02:16 AM
schutzstaffel

nitro..bash around ..

ORIGINAL: Harquebus

...I think that is what you are looking for.

-Harque
too funny..
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2006, 10:51 AM
digger1976

Ah64, I have a couple of questions on the HL especially the one you posted pics of. I have two Tamiya's and I like them, but possibly looking for another tank but price is a factor. How heavy are they and are the tracks the rubber kind or are they similar to Tamiya's tracks? Does the main gun and turret move? Thanks Ah64.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:41 PM
James S.

Before you spend any serious money I would suggest you visit BAT or SCAT websites and take a look. I don't know when their next event is but I would suggest going as a spectator. Shooting BB's is nice but having to work team mates to outsmart your opponent is very cool and the best tank for those kind of fights is the Tamiya line of Full Option tanks. For less money the VS-Pro line with IR are good.

http://www.bayareatankers.org/
http://web.mac.com/ksoc/iWeb/S.C.A.T./Welcome.html

I am suggesting them because if your in CA they would be closer then coming over to AAF in Danville VA.

You're of course welcome to visit www.heatarmor.com as well

Regards,
James

Old 12-26-2006, 02:34 AM
Harquebus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Pershing as well, and while I don't have a Tamiya Pershing to compare it to, my HL Pershing is comparable to the Tam Sherman in overall weight, if not a few ounces lighter I believe. They are quite well-made for inexpensive tanks.

If you looked closely at ah64's pics, you'd have noticed the shiny metal pins on the tracks ends. The tracks are made of a plastic similar to Tamiya tracks and are joined with steel pins.

The main guns and turrets move (Turret traverse and gun elevation and depression).
Smoke & Sound versions have main gun sounds, machine gun fire and a blinking LED that "fires" from the hull or coaxial MG positions in tune with the "rat-tat-tat" sound effect. Not to mention engine startup and shut-down sounds as well as a mid level acceleration mode. And of course the smoke generator. Works reasonably well on most HL tanks.

-Harq

ORIGINAL: digger1976

Ah64, I have a couple of questions on the HL especially the one you posted pics of. I have two Tamiya's and I like them, but possibly looking for another tank but price is a factor. How heavy are they and are the tracks the rubber kind or are they similar to Tamiya's tracks? Does the main gun and turret move? Thanks Ah64.