Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Speed400 Motors

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 01:39 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speed400 Motors

Merry Christmas everyone. Earlier this year I purchased a pair of Graupner Speed400s to upgrade my non-smoke Pershing when one of the motors conked out. The tank sat for awhile, I swapped in other gearboxes and developed grand plans for upgrading and detailing the tank. Over the past 3 months or so I've been able to accomplish a fair amount. The electronics and motors have been in the tank for awhile now but I never really ran the tank anywhere. The other day I took it outside and noticed that it was quite a bit faster then the other Pershing I have but since the kids weren't home, I didn't have a buddy to test them both together. Until today.

kids were getting a bit of cabin fever so I took them outside and my oldest brought her Panther and I brought the M26A1. That Panther is the fastest of the bunch with the old style motors, plastic tracks and metal gears. It moves quite a bit faster then my metal tracked Tiger I. We lined them up side by side, fired them up (smokers off) and said GO!! The Pershing smoked the Panther, it was at least 2x as fast! It's also much heavier with the added weight in front, metal gears, tracks, brass barrel and weighted turret. Of course its not scale and I'm into realism so I'll probably pull the motors and put them in the M41A3. All that thrashing around for 45 minutes, both tanks limped home. The Pershing would turn both tracks forward but the left wouldn't do anything in reverse. The Panther's left motor locked up or jammed, it wont budge. Ahh the joys of tanking! Tomorrow we rip em apart and fix em, never know when the next battle might be!
Old 12-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Turbobearcat

Default RE: Speed400 Motors

sounds like working on Turbo Dodges! hahahah.. I'll shutup now.. I own 2 of those Shelbys!
Old 12-23-2006, 09:25 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The Pershing would turn both tracks forward but the left wouldn't do anything in reverse

[] Sounds to me like the speed 400 motors drew to many amps and burnt your speed controle and this is why you lost motor controle.... Maybe the HL electrics are just to cheap for a good motor upgrade?
Old 12-23-2006, 07:44 PM
swathdiver

You're probably right. I pulled the motors and powered them directly to a battery and they work fine. Swapped in replacement Suntechs, tested them beforehand, and the board fried! Then I unsoldered everything and powered the motors directly to a battery again, one of the motors doesn't work! ARRGGGHHH!!! Two spare boards left and maybe another under the Christmas Tree!

Is there some equipment that can test the health and rpms of these electric motors? I have a pair of black capped ones and 2 more pair of Suntechs.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:02 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi James i havd a ds pocket checker it's used for slot cars it can only chek motor RPM.... But do this with your motors and they should run better

put them under water and run them for like 2 min with 3 volts from d batteries it will break them in very good and then let them dry and re oil the bushings on them.