Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

HL Tiger 1 metal gear box

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL Tiger 1 metal gear box

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Benny Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HL Tiger 1 metal gear box

Hi can any one tell me how to install a metal gear box for my hL tiger1
Old 12-26-2006, 10:37 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HL Tiger 1 metal gear box

You couldn't find it using the search engine?

First you have to remove the tracks by taking a pin out of one link on each side. Then remove the 7 screws- 4 under the sponsons, 3 on the bottom. Next separate the upper and lower hull by disconnecting the upper hull wiring harness and antenna wire.

Now pop or pry off the hub caps on your drive sprockets and remove the screws with a phillips screwdriver. The sprockets may come off with ease or you may have to pull hard on them. Now label and desolder the wires from the motors at the board. Each gearbox has 3 screws securing it to the hull floor, remove them. Each motor has two screws securing it to the gearbox, remember which position the positive terminal is at on the gearbox so when you reassemble you don't come up short.

Before installing the metal gearbox, spin it and make sure there's no binding, if there is, take it apart and remove the rough spots with a dremel, sandpaper, file, whatever you've got. If you don't, there's a good chance you'll stall the motor and fry your electronics.

Install the motors on the gearboxes and put everything back together in reverse order. I like to lubricate my gears and have fabricated a shield to fit over the boxes to keep oil from spraying everywhere. I made mine from sheet styrene, they look nice. If you don't have that, use a soda bottle, crude, effective and very quick and easy to do. As for the oil, I use Penn Reel Lube, I'm a fisherman, it's safe for plastic. I also use my 80 weight airsoft lube sometimes that's 100% silicone.