Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

tiger power

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 11:53 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: tiger power

What's all this talk about gear ratios, Perry just make a set(they'll gladly pay you) for everyone here to prove your point! You've already done it man! I volunteer to be the first naysayer to try out your "theory".
Old 08-24-2007, 12:00 AM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, it's getting time for me to put my money where my mouth is. Note to self, if and when I get it done Swath asked for the first set. Here's my prototypes in my Tiger
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29009.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	748295  
Old 08-24-2007, 12:45 AM
swathdiver

Wow, that gearing with Speed400s? Does it climb trees? I blew a board in the sugar sand with my Speed400s. I didn't have a fan or heatsinks then either. Been thinking about putting them in my Walker Bulldog when I tear it apart to redo the suspension springs, gun and interior.
Got some video of that setup running around the yard?
Old 08-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Miggers

When I raced buggies,20 years ago mind but I doubt anything has changed,if I raced a long track indoors on carpet or astroturf I'd put on a big pinion,say between 16 to 19 teeth for more speed and less wheelspin.

If I raced a short track or off road circuit I'd use a small pinion,anywhere between 12 to 16 teeth to give me more "sprinting"ability out of and between corners.Plus if I needed to break traction i.e make it wheelspin to slide into and through a corner or flick the backend out,I could do it easily with a small pinion fitted that would allow the motor to "get on the pipe"quickly.

So like the man says:

Big pinion=Slow acceleration and high top speed.

Small pinion=Quick acceleration,lower top speed but more "driveability",i.e the ability to crawl away and move at a "scale" speed,just what you really need in a Tiger1.

Oh yeh,I used 48DP gears both on the motor pinion and the gearbox spur gear.Believe me,32dp,48dp and 64dp certainly won't mix and match.You wont get them to mesh at all.
I'd say HL 'boxes are around a 32 diametric pitch(DP).Finer pitch gears(48 or 64DP) are more expensive to produce and harder to mesh in a busy production environment.
Miggers
Old 08-24-2007, 06:01 PM
darkith

ORIGINAL: Perry S.

Not sure they exist. The HL pinion is 8 tooth on a 2.3 mm shaft. I thought I saw a 7 tooth one before but can't remember where. Your kinda between a rock and a hard place here. A low turn motor will surely pull too many amps for the HL electronics to bear. Gearing is the only way to go if you want more torque to the tracks.
Perry

Perry,
The pinions on the two stock HL gearboxes on my desk (1 plastic 1 metal) are 10 tooth. Perhaps you were thinking of 8 teeth as the smallest you've seen, not as tht stock pinion?

David
Old 08-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep David, 10 is stock but I remember seeing an 8 before.
PErry
Old 08-26-2007, 07:47 AM
pcomm1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy trial and error performance HL mods.

The motors and gearing that came in your tank from HL is the probably the best solution.

But, the stock Tamiya 380 tank (not rc buggies) motors with stock pinions will drop into the HL gear boxes with no mods (HL gear boxes are a copy of an out dated Tamiya Design). That will make your tank a little to fast, but fun. The motors with pinion gears are cheap and can be found on ebay.

Try the site below for various low torque 400 motors and pinion selections. The tank will become scale speed slow, controllable and crawl up almost anything in the backyard or battlefield using low torque motors. I did not like this mod. To slow and not much fun.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/speed400.htm
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/motoraccy.htm
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/pinions.htm