Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Someone needs to sticky a FAQ thread!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Someone needs to sticky a FAQ thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 11:59 AM
kevinb120

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone needs to sticky a FAQ thread!

I have spent tons of time on forums yet this one is the most convoluted I have seen in some time. If you do a search, the drop down list of forums makes it an adventure just to find 'rc tanks' to pick a forum. I think there needs to be a FAQ thread on at least the HL tanks(based on repetative threads on the same subject by the hundreds). Such as a sticky "FAQ HL TIGERS", "FAQ HL PERSHINGS", ect. then the best articles on the basics, 'free' tweaks and mods, suspension mods, metal tracks and installation, cold solder problems, barrell extensions, ect can be posted there on a LOCKED thread and added as good ones are posted, It would keep things a lot neater for sure

Just a thought...
Old 12-27-2006, 12:07 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Someone needs to sticky a FAQ thread!

Ask a moderator. Better yet, become a moderator and do it yourself.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:12 PM
kevinb120

Its fairly easy, I've been a mod on several other forums :P Searching for HL TIGER SUSPENSION MODS yielding 150 threads with only 1 in 10 actually having information at all is a little annoying. Somebody, somewhere I am sure made an effort to post good information only having it lost forever deep in the mix. So what do you do? well start another thread asking about it again, and again, and again...
Old 12-27-2006, 12:22 PM
icecreamslick

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what do you do? well start another thread asking about it again, and again, and again...
That's true............and annoying.

You have a good idea. [sm=thumbup.gif] Unfortunately, it is a lot of work to go through all of the old posts and find the information that you mean to make into a sticky. I am pretty sure that I have answered several of the same questions about 15 times, but I have never tried to put them all in one thread before.

I tell you what, if you can make a sticky(s) (or get some made), I will help you fill it/them with information. Deal?

Jason
Old 12-27-2006, 01:12 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Kevin,
RCU has a very specific policy about what to make sticky. RCU made a decision a while back to limit the number of stickies that are placed at the top of the forums. We do this because stickies at the top of forums causes several problems. If there is a long list of stickies it actually makes it harder for people to find the forum listings and many people find this annoying. Also, stickies actually cause a forum listing to go "stale". With a list of the same stickies appearing every time the forum is viewed members actually start "tuning out" what they see in the list, because it looks the same every time somebody pulls up the list.

Over the past 6 months or so there has been a considerable amount of discussion, fighting, and rebuilding of the RC Tanks forum here on RCU. We have started to make new sub-forums under the RC Tanks forum (the War Room was created a couple of months ago), but right now there isn't enough traffic to support new sub-forums. While many people can suggest and argue that we should make new sub-forums the fact of the matter is that a sub-forum that gets little to no traffic actually causes more harm than good. The management of RCU looked at the traffic levels and felt that there wasn't enough traffic at this time to justify setting up new sub-forums. Now that doesn't mean that the issue is closed either. We continue to monitor the situation and if the traffic levels change enough we will setup more sub-forums here.

Ken
Old 12-27-2006, 02:38 PM
kevinb120

Yea a subforum FAQ would be the way to ultimately go. But a controlled locked FAQ thread simply takes notable posts and saves them. You don't necessarilly have to actually type out an entire FAQ. People who went through the trouble to post a modificaton with photos and full explanation typically can find thier old posts easilly and bump or resubmit them. As you can see already, they will volunteer the info, its pretty atypical of forum folk I think an FAQ on just the HL Tiger would cut down on a ton of repeat threads(just shuffle through the pages for all the HELP HL TIGER (insert issue)!!! threads. Every second page you see the same thread. If someone puts metal tracks on one and takes pictures in a post, or flips the mantlet, or changes the smoke unit, ect, then just cut and paste it to the FAQ-piece o cake...
Old 12-27-2006, 02:49 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Sure, we could have FAQ's. As you said we setup a HL FAQ. Then the Tamaya people get upset and they want their own FAQ, so we Tamaya FAQ. Then the people with VS get upset, so we setup a VS FAQ. And so on and on..... And in the long run you wind up with a long list of Stickies in the forum list, and this is what we are trying to avoid.

Ken
Old 12-27-2006, 04:55 PM
kevinb120

Technically it could be a subforum that is completely locked just like any 'rules' or 'announcements' subforums, and just save any very informative and/or thorough how-to posts under locked threads that will basically be all the posts the search-police wanted you to find from months ago(that, of course, is nearly impossible). Most posters that have done such in the past-particularly those that have done more of a feature article then a simple post-will surely re-submit the information without asking anyway. I was actually trying to find information on a Tamiya Sherman myself here recently and it is extremely difficult. After a few hours of browsing all the Sherman threads I was thinking about starting a few new topics asking questions...

Just have a thread for each like 'HL Tiger FAQ and feature posts' 'Tamiya Sherman FAQ and feture posts', etc and just cut and paste any really good posts. Someone takes pictures and writes a full how-to on removing the hull top on tank so-and-so then simply cut and paste it.... The only sticky in RC Tanks forum would be 'please read the FAQ section before posting'....