Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya King Tiger Gear Box Play

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya King Tiger Gear Box Play

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 09:44 AM
digger1976

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya King Tiger Gear Box Play

Has anyone noticed a lot of play in their King Tiger gearboxes? I have a Pershing and it does not have nearly as much play as the King Tiger does. I even went as far as getting two new gear bozes and they still had a lot of play in them. This is when you push and pull the tank forwards and backwards. This sometimes interferes with the motion of the recoil action of the tank. Any fixes out there?
Old 12-29-2006, 01:32 PM
PoisonPorkChop

Default RE: Tamiya King Tiger Gear Box Play

Yes..I hace noticed that too...now you got me thinking[sm=72_72.gif]..well i always say dont fix anything thats not broken but ..you are right..it does sometimes "reduce" the recoil effect.
All my king Tigers are the same(i have 3)..lets wait and see what others have to say

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4986780/tm.htm
Old 12-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Stern

Hallo,

I have not noticed something like that at my new Tiger II ... but I think I will put better gears inside if I get metal tracks ...

Greetings
Old 12-29-2006, 04:00 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

same here on mine I always wondered why they moved so much with lots of play..
Old 12-30-2006, 12:21 PM
W Reid
My Feedback: (-1)

I noticed when I first got my KT there was a lot of play in the gear boxes. The one area I noticed there was a lot of play was the fit of the output shaft bearings to the gear box side frames. On mine the bearings could wiggle around in their holes a little. I used some green loctite and carefully locked the bearings in place. This got rid of some of the play. I also shimmed a few gears to cut down on the side to side play they had. In all I managed to get rid of maybe half the play in mine. I plan to latter see what else can be done to remove some more. So far during the holidays I have run my KT a fair amount so my brother who is a fan of military stuff could see it run and play with it and I have had no problems. The recoil motion seems fine. I am also running my metal tracks and the gear boxes are holding up well. My KT has probably climbed over just about everything on the floor in the house and over some rough frozen ground for a few hours as well.

Wayne Reid

Ontario,Canada