Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

2 Snow Leopards won't turn on

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

2 Snow Leopards won't turn on

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 03:06 PM
dlla88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Snow Leopards won't turn on

I am probably doing something wrong, but can't figure out what.

I recently bought my son a Airsoft Snow Leopard Battle Tank (Heng Long is written on the bottom) for Christmas. When my wife saw how excited I was to give it to him, she bought me one. Well, Christmas morning we put the batteries in and nothing. Neither one will do anything. No lights, no sounds nothing. The lights come do come on, on the radio. I tried charging the batteries for several hours and still nothing.

Does anybody have any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thank you,
Darrell
Old 12-29-2006, 03:14 PM
steenv

Default RE: 2 Snow Leopards won't turn on

Just a control question :-) Have you turned the on-off switch contact to on. It is normally located next to the battery under the tank.

regards
Steen
Old 12-29-2006, 03:19 PM
steenv

just want to add a picture of my Tiger 1 on-off button.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71141.gif
Views:	20
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	586041  
Old 12-29-2006, 03:21 PM
dlla88

Yes, I have turned the switch to on.

There is something I forgot to mention. Both tanks are on the same frequency, but have channels A B and C. One tank is on A and the other is on C. There is a switch in the battery compartment and on the radio for the channels.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:22 PM
cpd1343

Also check the ABC switches. You will find one on the transmitter and one under the tank opposite the on/off switch. Both the tank and the transmitter must be set on the same letter. Each tank and transmitter combo must a use a different letter. Example: your tank and trans use letter A and your sons tank and trans use letter B.

Hope this helps.

Les.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:24 PM
uly

check battery pack with volt metre or light bulb make shure contacts in plugs are tight switch on tank and lights should blink switch on transmiter and press button with key on it you should here motor start sequence and lights should stay on if you cannot here engine there should be a white slotted screw underneath this is the volume turn to make louder or quieter strange to have same trouble with both tanks where they bought from a shop if so talk to them
Old 12-29-2006, 03:24 PM
steenv

previous picture was not that good.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35748.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	586042  
Old 12-29-2006, 03:28 PM
cpd1343

From the looks of those DIRTY wheels, you drive that tank HARD!!
Old 12-29-2006, 03:52 PM
dlla88

Thanks for the quick replies.

I will check the batteries with a volt meter when I get home tonight.

I agree, it is strange to have this problem with both tanks. Either I am missing something or both tanks are defective.

I have tried calling and emailing the store (hobbytron.com) but no response since Tuesday.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:01 PM
uly

keep us posted
Old 12-29-2006, 04:41 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's clarify something. If your transmitter has a switch on the lower right side you have the original non-smoke and sound tanks. Probably have red headlights right? You will not get a startup sequence or sound, the lights will stay off until you move the tank forward and the rears will come on when you move backward.

Charge your batteries for at least 4-5 hours each. If you haven't read the posts here before, these are tanks and Heng Long wanted you to get the full amount of realism possible. Tanks break! Get your soldering iron handy. If the batteries still fail to get the tank going, you'll have to open up the transmitters and tanks and check for loose wires. It's really not worth it (to me) to send them back. You'll be working on them all the time anyway.

Keep us posted and we'll do our best to help.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:52 PM
The_Stuff

umm, what color is the light on the remote? it should be a solid orange color. dunno what green dose, and red means error or low battery. always use brand new batteries in the remote of all the same brand. better to be safe then sorry.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:31 PM
karma99

Just to clarify a little more (I was so confused when I first got here.. still am most of the time in fact!)..

There are 2 versions of the tank that you might have.
The original version, and the smoke and sound version (makes engine noise and trickles smoke out the exhaust).

To distiguish between them.. Does your transmitter have 3 buttons on the lower front panel, do they have a little engine logo (looks like a key lying horizontally to me!), a G and a K? Did your box include a little bottle of clear liquid? Does your manual or box mention smoke/sound features? Is there a round white "knob" with a slit in it on the bottom of the tank (this is the sound volume control)?
If so, you have a Smoke and Sound model. If not, you don't.

Now the start ups for them both are different...

Non Smoke and Sound version: The On/Off switch underneath turns the tank on and off (no, really!). Once it is on, it will just sit there showing no sign of life. When you push the transmitter sticks it will move and the lights will light up as it moves. The ABC switch on the bottom needs to be set to the same as the transmitter, and the transmitter turned on off course.

Smoke and Sound version: The On/Off switch underneath turns the tank on and off (wow!). Once it is on the lights will flash about twice a second. On the transmitter you have an engine button (the left one of the group of 3 on the bottom panel), press this and the tank will play an engine start up sound for about 3-4 seconds, the lights will then be on constantly and the tank will be ready to go. Forward, back, turret turn etc all work as expected. Now, this is the odd bit. The ABC channel switch on the bottom on the tank is the on off switch for the smoke! They just didn't rename it!
Old 12-29-2006, 07:40 PM
martin g

Ah...one thing seems to be missing from this lot

On the NON smoke nd sound version, which it appears you have. On our Panther the middle button at the bottom of your TRANSMITTER ( the bank of three press buttons) enables and disables the control. If i remember right, when the light is RED the tank wont run, press the middle button and it should turn YELLOW ish, the tank should then run. Of course check that the ABC setting is the same on both TRANSMITTER and tank, and of course different on each tank. That is to say, tank 1 is on A+A, and tank 2 B+B as already mentioned.

it may be a variant like we had with the enable dissable option on the transmitter, MIDDLE button.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:04 PM
Kabul Tanker

I had a similar problem with my brother's christmas gift. What I found was teh crystal contacts on teh remote needed to be bent in a little because they were not making a proper contact with the Crystal prongs. I simply used the point end of a steak knife.

just a suggestion based on experience.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the non SS version and if I remember rightly then it's programmable. You press a button on the remote (one of the 3 in the middle) do a series of manoeuvres then press another button so that in it stores the manoeuvres. Then when you press another button it runs through the pre programmed manoeuvres.

Maybe you've pressed one of these buttons by accident.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:19 AM
dlla88

I checked the batteries and they are putting out about 7 1/2 volts and the contacts look good.

When I put the battery back in one of the tanks and turned it on the turret will move if the radio is about an inch from the antenna.

Maybe it IS the crystal, but I am not sure what you did with the steak knife (Kabul Tanker).
Old 12-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Kabul Tanker

Sorry, I should have explained better. I simply used teh end, or any pointing tool, to bend, SLIGHTLT the contacts in. If you pull teh crystal out you will see two female sockets, plastic with metal inserts. I simply bent teh metal part in a bit to make better contact with teh crystal.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:22 AM
dlla88

By the way it is the non smoke and sound version. The transimitter has the ABC switch on the lower right side, but the headlights are clear not red. It also has the three buttons in the lower center (OK) (/) (curvey arrow with 123456).
Old 12-30-2006, 12:39 PM
swathdiver

OK, with a non-smoke tank there isn't a crystal that you can remove or adjust. Have you checked the antenna inside the tank to make sure it's connected properly? How about the transmitter's antenna? Take them outside to get them away from any electrical interferences, my tanks sometimes act funny in the house.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:09 PM
dlla88

I checked the antenna on the transmitter when I had it apart. The connection looked fine. I did try both tanks outside. With the antennas from the radio and tank touching one tank will move. The only thing I haven't checked is the antenna inside the tank and I haven't opened one up yet. I know i will sooner or later, but was hoping to get to use it before I did.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:11 PM
dlla88

What is the XTAL slot on the bottom of the tank for?
Old 12-30-2006, 03:30 PM
The_Stuff

are you using fresh batteries in the remote? in my experience having the remote closer then a couple feet from the tanks antenna makes it stop dead.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:56 PM
martin g

Weak signal
Old 12-30-2006, 08:06 PM
dlla88

The voltage, on the radio batteries, was good, but I went ahead and put 8 new batteries in anyway and I get the same thing.

I was hoping that was the problem since this is happening to both tanks and the batteries came out of the same pack.

I guess I will have to open the tank up to check the antenna. Can anybody tell me where to start?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.