Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Metal tracks

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 11:30 AM
suthers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal tracks

Hi i've seen that Mato have a sale on and that tracks have a big discount but they still cost money so before buying them i would like to know if they actully help in any way or are they just for looks??? thanks
Old 12-31-2006, 01:13 PM
Tank4fun

Default RE: Metal tracks

suthers, I just completed installing metal engine box gears, suspension arms, drive, idler, road wheels, and metal tracks. Spent time making sure all moving parts were true, in-line and freespining, with no binding. This was done to a HL 1/16 Tiger I, and the only performance gain I see so far is that traction has improved due to its heavier weight. The tank performed more quicker, responsive and the battery charge lasted longer before the upgrade was made. Well, the next battery is charged and will run the tank some more...
Old 12-31-2006, 01:20 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the search feature to see what everyone has had to say on the subject. Do you NEED them? That depends on the model of tank you own and if you mind fixing broken track links.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:34 PM
suthers

i tried the search but i didn't find much and i'm new to tanks so i don't really have a clue about fixing broken track links and i don't own the tank (yet) but they will be for a hen long walker bulldog thanks
Old 12-31-2006, 01:40 PM
suthers

oh well the mato sale has ended so i can't afford the tracks anymore[]but thanks for your help
Old 12-31-2006, 02:05 PM
swathdiver

A Bulldog doesn't NEED metal tracks. That design is very reliable. Metal tracks are way cool though! Have them on my Tigers and Pershings and another set for my Bulldog still in the box. Spend your money on some spare parts and stuff before the tracks.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:17 PM
Harquebus

AMEN, brother.

My advice to you is drive your tank as it comes from the factory; OEM. See how it does. I cannot fathom why heavy tracks could attribute to a speed performance gain but that is what some people say. They do add weight. They will increase traction because of added weight but weight can be added to the body of the tank if that was your chief concern. They add a sense of realism because they are metal and go "clack-clack" just like real tracks. They are cool, no doubt about that. They do however increase the strain on the running gear because it is plastic designed for plastic tracks. Metal tracks need a host of other metal upgrades (swingarms, sprockets, etc.) to make the setup wholly reliable.

Just the pros and cons. My two cents,

-Harquebus
ORIGINAL: swathdiver

A Bulldog doesn't NEED metal tracks. That design is very reliable. Metal tracks are way cool though! Have them on my Tigers and Pershings and another set for my Bulldog still in the box. Spend your money on some spare parts and stuff before the tracks.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:13 PM
sownare

The bottom line, for me, is that metal tracks are just too good for the soul. There's a lot of satisfaction knowing that your tank is really turning metal instead of plastic. From a performance point of view, plastic is best. A lot of tankers change from metal to plastic tracks when they battle. Like Harq just said, if you have to satisfy the craving in your soul for metal tracks, prepare to spend some money on upgrading the gear drives and rear idler. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2007, 07:35 AM
suthers

thanks for the replies because i'm more into performance than realism does anyone know where you can get paintball firing tanks??? thanks
Old 01-01-2007, 12:49 PM
swathdiver

You have to make it. Look through my posts and from others on increasing the performance of our guns to handle paintballs. It's still an ongoing project for increased performance. If you're looking to shoot the big .60 cal paintballs, well the 1/6 tankers adapt guns for that need.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:32 PM
kevinb120

I love the metal tracks, especially when they squeak a bit, but they take a ton of 'performance' from the vehicle. I had the tiger stock and the bulldog with the mato metal gears and the tiger was MUCH faster. Added metal gears and it slowed it down a bit. Added the tracks and it slowed it down a LOT. I originally tried the metal tracks with the stock gears and it started slipping right away. I still think it is the metal gears that slow it down more then anything though. I got them at half price on sale and did use the metal goodies included in the set, but I may switch back to plastic for the speed, scale or not, until I upgrade the motors or something. The bulldog I bought for my brother definately has more ground clearance comming up to objects though. I may pull the 'spare tracks' off the front of the hull on the tiger to help the approach angle a little bit.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:04 PM
kevinb120

n/m just ran it with the plastics, definately the gears slowing it down(may need more breaking it). Metal tracks re-installed