Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

hl tiger Metal Gears

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Benny Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hl tiger Metal Gears

Do the metal gears go better in performance than the plastic ones.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:15 PM
kevinb120

Default RE: hl tiger Metal Gears

They are problably a bit slower if anything, but much tougher then the plastic ones.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Harquebus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plastic gears, actually nylon, are pretty much bulletproof. I've never heard of any problems or failures with them on this or any other forum unless it was caused by negligence or abuse on the part of the owner. Always a good idea to make dust/splash guards for the gearboxes to isolate them from debris and keep the gear lube from spattering all over the tank interior.

Tamiya uses nylon gearsets in their RC tanks so that let's you know they are proven.

-Harq
Old 01-04-2007, 11:59 PM
Benny Boy

But dose it alowyou to go up and over biger things that the plastic gears could not go over.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:08 AM
kevinb120

I use them for the metal tracks, as the plastic ones skip immediately after putting them on.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Tank4fun

Benny Boy, look at it this way- Does a Glock pistol perform better at shooting accuracy and endurance than an Airsoft pistol? With the combination of plastics, metal,and perfect synchronicity of driving components;yes, metal rules![>:]

I am really impressed with the metal gears and brass bushings, especially with the final drive gear axle which is now more ridged This eliminated the wobble/flex that the drive wheels had when the gears and bushings were nylon plastic. This set-up also works well with the addition of metal tracks and wheels.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Harquebus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. Not at all. I don't care what anyone says. For better climbing ability and power you would need more powerful motors and/or motors offering more torque. The metal gears are, I would say, almost completely necessary if you upgrade to the heavier metal tracks. The nylon gears would not handle the additional strain very well or for very long if you did not make the upgrade. The metal tracks reportedly make the nylon gears slip because of the extra weight.

As it is now, my Pershing with stock running gear can conquer most every obstacle. Metal gears would not do anything for climbing over stuff.

-H

ORIGINAL: Benny Boy

But dose it alowyou to go up and over biger things that the plastic gears could not go over.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:42 PM
kevinb120

Yea the tiger was much faster and had no troubles with anything(i didn't do anything abusive) stock but I started porkin her up and then added the metal gears