Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

firing blanks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 04:23 PM
OwlsfanDan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default firing blanks!

OK, so my HL Pershing had its first proper outdoor test today at my mates farm, and cross country-wise, it passed with flying colours. However, the gun seems to have stopped firing. It sounds as though it is working, but nothing is coming out, and it has plenty of ammo on board. Was wondering if a BB shot had got jammed inside. Is there any easy way of clearing jams, and if not, is there any way to get into the turret without taking the tank completely apart?
Old 03-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Harquebus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: firing blanks!

First of all, you didn't by chance use the substandard Heng Long BB's that came with the tank did you? These must be discarded at once and replaced with a premium brand/type such as Flying Colors or similar. Reason is the cheap-o BB's are literally out-of-round, have molding seams, "flash" and other imperfections which make them have a tendency to jam your gun.

It is very probable that the gun has jammed. The only thing you can do without disassembly is to lightly poke a rod down the barrel and try to dislodge the BB. There is no way to get into the turret without disassembling the tank completely. The screws holding the turret halves together are impossible to get to unless the upper hull is removed from the lower.

Sorry. []

But don't worry, it's a fun if not informative thing to spend your time on. If you do take the plunge, be careful to go easy on the wiring holding the turret to the hull. They have a habit of pulling loose.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:54 PM
OwlsfanDan

Thanks for the quick respose! Thought I'd have to take the tank apart! Oh well, it's all part of the tank owning experience!! Still, pleased with my tanks performance otherwise though! Incidentally, the BBs were decent ones bought from the tank zone website. I was warned about the ones supplied with the tank!
Old 03-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Harquebus

My pleasure.

I too am a Pershing owner and the tank is pretty much unstoppable. I'm very pleased with the thing. Some have added some weight to the front of the Pershing so it it climbs obstacles better but I think they're trying to make their tanks do more than what the original was capable of, scale-wise that is.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:17 PM
pattoncommander

Harq, I just installed the gun tube extension on my Tiger and now it won't fire the BBs. It clunks OK but no spit...the brass tube came out, firmly attached to the gun, but seemed to seat OK on reassembly,so maybe I diconnected something inside?

Bill
Old 03-03-2007, 10:06 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These are very finicky devices. The rubber gasket, the barrel and the breach all must be in perfect harmony. Too much compression of the gasket and the round will not leave the breach, to little and you get too little velocity. Try inserting the bbl without the Plastic shround. Make sure you trouble is in the breach area and not in the bbl itself.

Sounds like your bbl is loose as well. Try one wrap of masking tape around the metal bbl. This should tighen up the bbl as it is slid into the gun breach. There is a definite sweet spot. Try slightly moving the bbl in an out of the breach as you fire a round. Try and find the sweet spot. Mark the bbl with a marker, and then use some silicone as an adhesive and fix the bbl into the breach using your mark as a guide for the "perfect" spot.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:46 AM
pattoncommander

Thanks for the tips...everything is cemented in place, but I'll give it a look-see. Hate to mess with it now as I have all "natural" camo on the Tiger.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86912.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	634590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68267.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	634591  
Old 03-04-2007, 10:49 AM
irongutz

the rubber gasket in the bbl is a sore spot on hl's. But for some reason my pershing shoots harder than my tiger. I wonder if its got something to do with the small hole in the bbl on tigers?
Old 03-04-2007, 03:03 PM
pattoncommander

Mine are the same way...the Pershing will hit someone's pantleg and actually sting, where the M-41 has a very low muzzle velocity when it fires at all and the Tiger moderate.
Bill