Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

2.4 ghz

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 12:24 PM
DAP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 ghz

Anyone using 2.4 for their tanks? Esp. for more than one model?
Old 03-14-2007, 12:54 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: 2.4 ghz

I'm using a Spektrun Dx6 on my Tamiya Tiger 1, and I love it. I did several mods to it such as replace voltage regulator for extended run time, mod the left stick to spring loaded self center instead of the ratchet, and install mg and main gun push buttons. I have great range and don't have to mess with crystals or frequencies. I'll never go back. My next tank will be a Tamiya Tiger 2, and I will simply install the rx only, and use the tx I already have.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using a Spektrum DX6 with BR6000 bot receivers on my WSN 1/16 T-34/85 and HE 1/16 Leopard 2A5. Since the radio stores settings for up to 10 models, I only need to buy a Spektrum receiver for each new tank. The radio works great and has excellent RF noise rejection for glitch free operation without soldering noise suppression capacitors to the motors.

For more info on the DX6 and bot receiver, go here: [link]http://www.botmag.com/articles/spektrum_radio.shtml[/link]
Old 03-14-2007, 01:06 PM
DAP

I'd like to see it sometime. Not like your far away. Im @ Brookhurst & Warner.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Richard L.

Also, since the Spektrum bot receiver has two very short antennae that can be completely hidden inside the tank, there is no need to worry about long, unsightly antenna wire sticking out.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Dugster

I've been using the DX6 and BR6000 setup for some time on my Tiger 1. Works great!

You should take advantage of the programming features of the radio. I wrote a primer on setting up the DX6 that is posted on the DAK website:

www.desertarmor.com

Go to the radio room to find and download it.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:21 PM
DAP

I stopped by a local hobby shop and asked about the Spektrum. I told him it was going on my tanks and he refused to sell it to because it was an "air channel." I didnt know anything about them so I didnt argue the point. lol Having since done some reading I was just wondering how the multiply model set up worked.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:29 PM
hdbeast

will not sell it to you is why the local hobby shops are going away and the Internet is sometimes the only source ( and sometimes cheaper)
Old 03-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Richard L.

It is both ground and air since it's 2.4 Ghz and not 27Mhz, 49Mhz, 72Mhz, or 75Mhz.

It is a computer radio. To store another model, simply scroll to a different slot and use it. The LCD screen shows what model you are currently on. You can even assign the model a 3-letter name. When you turn off the radio, all settings (trims, endpoint adjustments, etc...) will be automatically stored.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Jeff489

The hobby shop people are ignorant and technology resistant. Take it from me, you can only make someone like that smarter by talking with them. I hope that hobby shop wasn't Hobby People on Ellis St. My wife calls them "Snobby People" because they were mean to her. I am using Ultimate Hobbies up in Anaheim (57 and Katella) for supplies. As for location, I am at Brookhurst and Adams, and I'd be happy to show you my radio set up. Just PM me, and I'll give you my number so that we can get together). In fact, last night I installed a r/c relay on my speaker (using one of the two spare channels on my radio) to provide a mute setting (the motor sound bugs my wife when I drive it around the house). Works great, just a flick of the swich and I can go stealth LOL.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:15 PM
DAP

Sounds like a winner. I'll have to do some shopping and pick one of these up. Im tired of all the radios.

Dugster. I went to DAK and printed your info. I'll read it tonight while the wife is complaining.
Thanks
Old 03-14-2007, 03:23 PM
cpd1343

Here is some ordering info that I received:

Les,

Hello and thank you for your question. Yes we can modify the sticks
on the DX6 radio to have both centering. There is no charge for doing
this, all you have to do is ask when you are ordering to have the radio
sent to service for modification. Hope this helps, and have a great day.

We are going to offer the DX6 with the bot receiver. Here is the
part number for the radio system with the bot receiver.
SPM2460BR - DX6 DSM 6CH Park Flyer w/Bot Rx - Price: $199.99

These should be in around mid-March. Hope this helps, and have a great
day.

Thank you,
Dennis Davenport
Horizon Hobby Consumer Sales
800-338-4639

Les.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:43 PM
The_Stuff

someone want to post some pictures of what they are talking about? also from what i have read, is this a one controller can control multi things but one at a time thing?
Old 03-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Richard L.

There are plenty of pictures of the Spektrum radio and bot receiver on the net. Just click on the link above or do a Google search.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:19 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Check out DAK and the Radio Room page. We have four tankers who use this radio.

http://web.mac.com/ethandunsford/iWe...io%20Room.html
Old 03-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Jeff489

Nice resource page for setting up to control more than one tank. If anyone needs information on how to set up firing buttons, installing your own scratch built self centering stick, or installing the voltage regulator (that makes radio run time go from about 2 hours to 5 hours) just let me know, and I will share what others shared with me on these subjects.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:58 PM
DAP

I found a RC shop in Garden Grove that sells the DX6 for $189.00. Best Ive found so far.
Jeff. When I get mine I'll take you up on the offer for the firing buttons & voltage regulator mods.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:11 PM
statikrx

Jeff, would you please send me the details on the button and voltage regulator mods or post it here?
Old 03-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Jeff489

The voltage regulator mod is removing and replacing the voltage regulator with a new one from Dimension Engineering. Their website is www.dimensionengineering.com. And no, I don't work for them, but they have a cool product. They have a complete step by step instruction of how to do the mod at http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...ektrum_mod.htm. Its self explanatory, and if you can solder, you can do it.

As to the fire button mod, I will have to crack open my tx to take some pictures. I will post when I have them. Same deal, if you can solder, you can have fire buttons.

FYI, most of my information came from the tank forum at [email protected]

Also, I have included some information from Willy at http://www.customrcmodels.com/ who is pretty sharp on these things. Willy wrote the following...

"The DX6 Spektrum system is for sure a cool way to go ..I wrote several posts about these DX6 radios in the past, and will combine them all and post all that with some setup-instructions and the newest findings on my website.

My kill-switch's work great and could be also used for old style radio's which would give the advantage to shut a tank down, but leaving the transmitter on , which would cut down on these run-away tank's…Buy the DX6 radios with the BR6000 receiver, if it comes with the older AR6000 ,just contact Horizon Hobbies , they will exchange them ….The difference between the AR and BR receiver is the fail-safe function …
On the AR receiver only the throttle-channel has a fail-safe setup …The other channels "remember" there last stage , means turret-rotation , gun-elevation would keep running after a loss of signal, or if you have your throttle on a channel other then the throttle channel , your tank would keep on running …The BR receiver has now fail-safe on all channels ….

The DX6 transmitter comes with a ratchet throttle on the left stick (mode 2) If you want a spring-loaded left stick , buy the radio from Horizon
Hobbies, But place the order by phone and tell them you want a spring-loaded throttle …They do not sell just the parts for you to install it yourself ….I had to send my 2x DX6 transmitter's back to them, since I wanted the spring-loaded throttle sticks …If you need a spring-loaded throttle on the left , but don't care about the right stick as ratchet, you just can swoop the parts around …if you want to safe yourself the hassle of returning the transmitter to Horizon. Even though they did the spring-loaded throttle-setup for me free of charge, I even didn't had to pay any shipping …

Setup is simple , just read the manual to get familiar with it before you start messing around …Make sure you have it in airplane mode ( which will deactivate the preset mixing functions from the Helicopter mode ) ..All servo-travel-settings by default are on 100%….After binding the receiver (binding is explained in the DX6 manual) make sure you have your left stick (in case you have the ratchet left stick) in the center (otherwise you will have a run-away-tank with the older AR600 receiver ), go over the regular DMD setup as explained in every Tamiya tank
manual …

The DX6 transmitter has digital trims, therefore I recommend to change some servo-travel-settings to get around thumbing the trims for firing or engaging the drive-function (Pershing) …

After the initial DMD setup, change the servo-travel for the firing/gun-elevation channel to 125-130%. This will allow you to fire without changing any trim-settings …Same for the reverse on the Pershing ..set it also to 125-130%…This way you push the throttle-stick fully in reverse , move it back to the center and then just slightly in reverse again and your Pershing will be engaged for driving …

My kill-switch is a small transistor-type switch (It is about the same size as that small DX6 receiver) which plugs in to an open channel , like the gear or aux channel on the DX6, and has 2 more servo-plugs to be connected to the receiver and DMD unit ….For the ones want to do a little soldering yourself (soldering of the servo-cables), I can supply these switches for $25,- plus $10,- for 2x 12 inch servo-cable-extensions
(male and female plug on each side, which you can cut to your personal layout ) , or for $10,- more I send you a plug-and-play unit ….
$5,- shipping , priority-mail , tracking and insured….

More details and "how to's" are be posted soon on my website ….

Willy
CustomRCmodels
ACE"

Jeff.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Richard L.

ORIGINAL: Jeff489

Also, I have included some information from Willy at http://www.customrcmodels.com/ who is pretty sharp on these things.
Does Willy have a phone number or a mailing address? I have been trying to reach him via e-mail to no avail. I wanted to order his custom low speed, high torque 540 motor for one of my King Tigers.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:50 PM
proulxlaw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great idea. I logged on today to specifically solve the problem of being able to control all or most of my tanks with one transmitter. I have a bunch of them around and they all take up space and finding the right one can sometimes be a challenge.

Does the DX6 have a memory chip that can be replaced for other models like the Campac on my Futaba 9c?

I'm mostly done with my Tamiya KT. I ordered a bunch of upgrade parts from Daryl Turner and some from Germany (Axel's Modelbau Shop). I have only a Tamiya Sherman (1/16).

Which Tamiya should I build next? I already have a metal track set and a metal road wheel set that will fit the Tamiya Panther. Has the Tamiya Tiger I been discontinued and if so, why? Anyone know?

Is it easy to install the bot receivers in Hung-Long tanks?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65233.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	733206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79812.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	733207  
Old 09-20-2007, 12:32 PM
DGES

Can anyone help me set up my DX6 to be able to turn on the lights and work the machine gun? I followed the steps detailed in the "The Spectrum DX6 for Dummies" PDF but the file stops just after describing the set up for the main gun fire setup using the flap switch. I would really like to get the most out of the DX6 and with digital trim I am having trouble getting the above mentioned light and machine gun fuctions going.

Thanks for any assistance you guys could provide...I will be working on a Leo 2A6 next so any info. for DX settings there would be helpful as well.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:46 PM
hdbeast

This Info came from Pzjgr and worked for me, the lights are something else, I have not seen that yet.

Ok if you follow the spektrum for dummies pdk then you can setup your gear switch to fire the machinegun. What your doing to do is substitute Mix C for Mix A for the setup (your following the directions but subing the Mix C for Mix A). I setup Mix C Ach Master channel 5 and slave channel 1 (mine is different from yours, I steer tank with right side controller), you would probably do Mix C Ach Master channel 5 and slave 3 (like you did for main gun). Next on the Mix C ASW I set it to 5 (for gear switch). Last step I setup the Mix C51 (yours might be different), I make sure it shows 0% before I set it to +125 not -125. I had to play with the setup until I found out what works. the worst that can happen is you reset and start over.

BTW this is what I did for my Tiger I too.

Pzjgr
Old 09-22-2007, 02:07 PM
tiger205

hi all of you guys seem to be using spektrum equipment, although good,it is not as good as futaba, on my tiger 1 i am using the futaba 6ex 2.4 ghz transmitter and r606fs receiver,it could not be easier to install and set up, i might also add i am not an electronics boffin, far from it,when i installed it in my tiger it took about 2 hours, and it worked 1st time, no problems, except i forgot to install the battery?,. so, if anyone is considering changing to 2.4ghz, give the futaba set serious thought, it knocks spots off the spectrum range
Old 09-22-2007, 03:20 PM
DGES

Thanks for the info. I was able to set up my machine gun to fire using the Aileron D/R switch as mix "B". The weird aspect was the fact I was able to match the settings above to B53 but my mix B53 was set to -125 just like the main gun is...I am a bit confused but happy its working. However, like a kid who just got a math problem correct but can't explain how they got there, I am at a loss to start trying to figure out how to configure the lights...especially since this requires the use of both control stick trims (according to the Tamiya instruction manual) since it appears the spektrum can only be set to adjust one control stick movement and trim direction, not to trim adjustments and a stick movement at the same time.
Again, I am very new at this but having just built the Sherman I would really like to know that the lights work period let alone get them to come on witht he touch or flick of a switch. Any assistance from those more experienced would be much appreciated. If it helps at all the instructions follwed under "The Spectrum DX6 for Dummies" PDF worked out perfectly for setting up the main gun with the throttle hold switch if that can tell you where my settings are at.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Jason

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.