Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

So ya, Pershings suck in the mud.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

So ya, Pershings suck in the mud.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:17 PM
The_Stuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So ya, Pershings suck in the mud.

I had my pershing out back, I have the metal tracks on it, and im driving around in the back yard, there is some mud from the deck reno last year, and so I'm driving around and go through it etc then all at once the tracks decide to grab the mud, which forces it up into the skirt area. well that plugs up almost instantly and then since the pershing is powered by an outside sprocket type drive wheel, it fills up instantly and boom. dead in the water sorta speak. I ended up having to remove the tracks and washing them to get the mud out of them. I had to take off the top hull to get the mud out of the suspension, still have to scrape the underside of the fenders to.

so, how do you guys go have your fun in the mud without clogging up so badly? also the dirt here is kinda black sediment type of mud. (live in a valley)
Old 03-26-2007, 12:26 PM
shadopilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: So ya, Pershings suck in the mud.

I read that on the real tank they would sometimes take the sideskirts off to prevent mud build up unless they are in the desert were they would leave them on to keep the dust down. I cut mine off. I just think it looks better without them.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:57 PM
pattoncommander

The skirts didn't really have all that much to do with mud buildup...they were a royal "discomfort in the posterrior" for maintenance. To get at the track, return rollers, sprocket or idler, the center sections had to be lifted up and the end sections had about 8 or 10 9/16th bolts to remove. They also didn't hold down that much dust. It was simply a matter of convenience to "loose" them. The double pin chevron or clevis track is a self cleaning style....that's why they look like they are on backwards when you think of a scooping effect. As the track is picked up around the sprocket, most of the trash will break loose and be dropped off. Thick, sticky clay is a different matter, as that stuff stays put. The original T-81 single pin track had problems in getting clogged.

Bill
Old 03-26-2007, 02:48 PM
The_Stuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wonder if that silicone spray on the treads and under skirt would deter mud build up...
Old 03-26-2007, 05:45 PM
shadopilot

I got to thinking. 1/1 scale mud doesnt behave the same way on 1/16 scale vehicals as it does on the fullsize item. This might sound crazy but put some dishwasher soap and water in a garden sprayer and spray the mud pit. It should break up the surface tension and slide off your tank easier. I know its nuts but it might work!! LOL!!!!