Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/16 Elefant Heavy Tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:04 PM
shadopilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1/16 Elefant Heavy Tank

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamiya-1-16-Elep...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-27-2007, 08:21 AM
ArmChairGeneral

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/16 Elefant Heavy Tank

How much Panther production does that represent? What a waste of resources that thing was, ponderous and lacking infantry defense most were over run. I guess it would have been OK in ideal defensive conditions but when does that ever happen. Since it did exist seeing one around would be cool though, kinda like seeing a Maus
Old 03-27-2007, 11:04 AM
swathdiver

I agree, I recently read Tigers in the Mud. What a waste of time, men and resources. Caruis' unit was ineffective with the Hunting Tiger. If they had stopped PZIII production for PZIV, and concentrated on the the Panther and Tiger I instead of the specialty tanks, they probably would have fielded double the numbers and experienced much greater success. Fortunately for the Allies, this wasn't the case!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:06 PM
pattoncommander

The Ferdinand was a very poorly thought out design. When Heinz Guderian, then Kommandant der Panzer Truppen, inspected the Ferdinand, he raised hell about no defensive machine guns and even weht to Hitler about it, but to no avail. The first units didn't even have the bow machine gun and he tried to get others in the turret front and rear, but Hitler wouldn't hear of it. The Russians just walked up to them and stuck flame throwers into the vents. Helluva way to go.

Tigers in the Mud is a powerful book. Two other excellent books are "The tigers are Burning"by Martin Caidin Hawthorne Books
and "Panzer Leader" by Heinz Guderian, Army publications, printed in india May be listed Panzar Leader. A world of info and insight in both books.

Bill
Old 03-27-2007, 01:49 PM
shadopilot

I have the hard bound " The Combat History of Panzerjager Abteilung 653" It has the most excellent photos of the Elephant and Jagdtiger. Its available in soft cover now at a much reduced price.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:51 PM
shadopilot

another great one I have is "Schwere Panzer in detail" by Ryton. A must for fans of heavy German armor.