Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Metal track pin removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 02:11 PM
speedpro440

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal track pin removal

Hi all. I tried a search but couldn't find an answer to this question. Maybe I phrased it wrong, because it seems like something that should be a common question.

I bought a HL Panzer III and metal track upgrade a few weeks ago from Mato Toys. When I tried to install the new tracks, I could not figure out how to get the pin out. When I took the plastic ones off, the pin pushed out relatively easy. I also have a Tamiya Tiger with crappy metal tracks and the pins push out on them fairly easily. Is there a trick for getting the tracks loose, or should I take the drive gear off, install the tread and then try to line up the screw to reinstall it all?

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2007, 02:22 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Metal track pin removal

you should be able to push the pin out with a thumb tack or paper clip. One side is scored and the other is smooth. Push from the smooth side. The T-81 tracks are a real bear, but Pz III and tiger are push-outs.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:46 PM
speedpro440

On the plastic tracks and my other Tiger tracks, they are smooth on one side and scored on the other. On the Panzer III metal tracks, both ends look "mushroomed" out to keep the pin from falling out.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:19 PM
pcomm1

ORIGINAL: speedpro440

On the plastic tracks and my other Tiger tracks, they are smooth on one side and scored on the other. On the Panzer III metal tracks, both ends look "mushroomed" out to keep the pin from falling out.
That is not the case on my PZ3 tracks, so, since both ends of the pins are closed and without removing any track pins: Remove the front outer drive sprockets, leaving the inner drive sprockets in place. This assumes your drive sprockets are 2 piece assemblies, as on my Pz3. This is also the same install/remove method for the Tamiya Sherman tracks. Carefully remove the tracks from the rear idlers and return rollers.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:17 PM
bravo_2_zero

I kinda apply presure to the tank and force the suspension down while moving the tank forward to ease off the tracks like a bike chain. I've tried the pin trick but wow is it hard as the pins don't want to budge. I know it's not ideal but for me it's quickest and safe as i've cut my hand with the pin trick a few time with too much force.