Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya VVSS Simulation Kit at Tankzone...!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya VVSS Simulation Kit at Tankzone...!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:54 PM
killick64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya VVSS Simulation Kit at Tankzone...!

Check it out guys...

[link=http://www.tankzone.co.uk/cart/tz_m4.htm]Sherman Upgrade Parts[/link] .

Fourth item listed for Sale Under 1/16 M4 Sherman - Conversion & Upgrade Parts

Old 12-30-2007, 11:40 PM
OliverLove

Default RE: Tamiya VVSS Simulation Kit at Tankzone...!

Someone mentioned this before but the conclusion was drawn that there is no way to use these for RC without alot of fabrication.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:57 AM
killick64

I guess that's why they call it a "Simulation"

Sorry if this is old news, guys--but ever since my Tamiya Sherman "came home" I've been seeing stuff I never knew existed!
Old 12-31-2007, 06:08 AM
grompix

Converts HVSS suspension on Tamiya M4 Sherman to LOOK like the earlier and more usual VVSS system. But is NOT designed to be functional and does not replace the HVSS system.
I ordered a set some weeks before Christmas but Tankzone is having difficulty getting replacement stock at the moment.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:21 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Someone once mentioned that Hen Long and Tamiya tanks look the same from about 30 feet away, so if you place your tank on a high enough shelf or you remove your glasses maybe you can't tell how ugly these covers really look on the HVSS.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:42 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These are cosmetic true, enough, but from 3 ft away they would look OK. I was going to cast something similiar, but I was going to have the arms as seperate pieces, and hinged to the center forging. This would allow them to move with the suspension travel. I also think you should remove the stock return rollers and incorportate the rollers on the VVHS. Do this and somebody would have to take a close look to see you still were using the HVSS. The huge cast metal forging of the VVHS makes a pretty good view block and would hide the functioing HVSS pretty good. As long as you were getting suspension travel out of the arms, I think the mod would be pretty convincing.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:36 AM
Panther F

Maybe so, but the narrower tracks of the VVSS will be missing and the wider tracks for the HVSS will throw it off.

JMHO

Have a great New Year!
Old 12-31-2007, 09:43 AM
darkith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These were posted before with links to here http://www.rc-panzerketten-forum.com...tuser=0&page=2
Somebody found a video as well http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=XZk3_sqwG6g
Looks decent static at >3 foot range, but a bit comical in motion.

I presume that nobody makes tracks that would be correct or sorta-correct for a VVSS suspension? If there were tracks, I'd be tempted to try modeling VVSS in CAD and CNC machining it, but it gets less interesting without the tracks.

D.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:05 AM
wackywheelz

Looks OK. Whatever they took the sounds from (for that video) needs a good tune
Old 12-31-2007, 10:20 AM
Panther F

Atrocious! [sm=lol.gif] I'm not that desperate.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:44 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: Panther F

Maybe so, but the narrower tracks of the VVSS will be missing and the wider tracks for the HVSS will throw it off.

JMHO

Have a great New Year!

I've been looking into that.

Here is where Heng Long comes to the rescue. I have a set of plastic Bulldog tracks and Pershing sprockets. I can cut off all the horns of the bulldog tracks and they look like the older Sherman tracks. The plastic Pershing drive sprockets can then be shaved to reduce their with to match the cutdown bulldog tracks, and you end up with a really close facsimile. Cutting the horns of the bulldog tracks wil remove some import pin holding material. To get around that I was going to use epoxy putty to beef up an enclose the open pin guides in the middle section of the track.

Here is a quick few pictures to show what I am talking about.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64685.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	838458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12802.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	838459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92501.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	838460  
Old 12-31-2007, 11:57 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: Panther F

Atrocious! [sm=lol.gif] I'm not that desperate.

A little comical with the fixed gear, but if you could make the outriggers travel with the suspension, I'm all in. The cap idea in the wheels is something I never thought of. It would allow you to connect the outriggers easily to the wheels. Without a whole bunch more work this could be done. You might not be happy but I am betting many guys would
Old 12-31-2007, 12:16 PM
pattoncommander

The VVSS suspension frames may look OK but the problem is getting the correct track to use with it. At this time, nothing on the market will fit or look right. [:-]The video on this thread is interesting and looks good, until it turns and you see the double pin chevron track [:'(] Sooner or later (hopefully much sooner) someone will come out with the correct stuff There is a vast market for it and some body just HAS to pick up on it.[sm=confused_smile.gif]
Old 12-31-2007, 12:20 PM
YHR

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

The VVSS suspension frames may look OK but the problem is getting the correct track to use with it. At this time, nothing on the market will fit or look right. [:-]The video on this thread is interesting and looks good, until it turns and you see the double pin chevron track [:'(] Sooner or later (hopefully much sooner) someone will come out with the correct stuff There is a vast market for it and some body just HAS to pick up on it.[sm=confused_smile.gif]
It has been my experience that vast market and hobby shouldn't exist in the same thread.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:28 PM
pattoncommander

The M-41 tracks would look totally absurd. [:'(] No Sherman ever had the 'Y" bolt-on Massey-Harris track pads and other than that, either a flat block, later rubber chevron or one of the various steel grouser tracks. The VVSS had the end connecter (external) guide teeth, whereas the M-41 has the centerguides and dual wheels. This alone would interfere with the track running back across the top.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:32 PM
pattoncommander

OK YHR...how 'bout "extreme demand" or " great desire". Anyhoo...Somebody start making the stuff. [sm=drowning.gif]
Old 12-31-2007, 12:48 PM
YHR

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

The M-41 tracks would look totally absurd. [:'(] No Sherman ever had the 'Y" bolt-on Massey-Harris track pads and other than that, either a flat block, later rubber chevron or one of the various steel grouser tracks. The VVSS had the end connecter (external) guide teeth, whereas the M-41 has the centerguides and dual wheels. This alone would interfere with the track running back across the top.

I am cutting off the horns so they will be external guide teeth. I realize these are not bang on, but I am prepared to live with the compromise because if I have to wait for these to be produced, I'll never have one, or it will be so cost prohibitive, I won't be able to justify the expense to myself. If some cottage industry guy does it, you will expect to pay big dollars. I've done casting and this would be a very time consuming endeavour. This little add on would end up costing you as much as a full blown Tamiya kit. Most guys when faced with the decision will buy the Tamiya and forget about the Sherman upgrade. That is why it has never been done yet. How long has that Sherman been out??? A long time and still nothing.

So it comes down to compromise or go without. In my opinion the compromise at least gets you close.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:20 PM
pattoncommander

You have your work cut out. [:@]Be very interested in seeing the finished tracks....converting a single pin into double pin track with end connectors and having to make individual connectors and guide teeth is one I would never consider doing....but hey, good luck. Still have to redo all the road wheels, return rollers and idlers to singles. If you do your own molding, are you going to redo the track pads to a single block? I'd think it'd be easier to motorize one of the Century 21 Shermans, or copy and mold the tracks. [&:]My model and dorama work is easier in that respect because the stuff doesn't move....(I can simply glue a cantankerous piece in place)... one of the issues I ran into converting some HL models. to have it look authentic , but still move....and worse, disassemble [:@]

Hey man, go for it and let's see what results.