Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

tiger 1 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 03:27 PM
brel
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tiger 1 rebuild

I have started to re build my tiger 1, so far I have gutted the hull but left the battery box in place because I am not putting a charging circuit in the tank, I have ordered the Elmod gear to use with the HL electrics, I have not made my mind up as to whether or not I am going to put the smoker back into the tank, the speaker will go back into the tank in it's original position. I have removed the HL swing arms and drilled out the lugs to accommodate the metal suspension gear and metal swing arms, also I have drilled and tapped the swing arms (M2) to hold the axels in place with grub screws even thought the axels had splines on them to hold them in place.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17075.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	923425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20223.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	923426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di11240.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	923427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66345.jpg
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	923428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg55839.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	923429  
Old 04-06-2008, 03:44 PM
fv432
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: tiger 1 rebuild

looking good BREL
Old 04-06-2008, 03:49 PM
lanierrl

Very cool Brel,

I am going to do a similar project as soon as I finish my Panther. I will be very anxious to see how easy or hard the El-Mod stuff is to install. Keep us posted.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:42 AM
brel
Banned

I forgot to mention the I had to trim down the Axels by 2mm to stop them from rubbing on the aluminium (aluminum) plate that holds the swing arm mounts in place.
I also forgot to add that the plastic that HL use goes very soft when you try and drill it at high speed, even with a mini craft drill with a variable speed control.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:19 AM
brel
Banned

I have removed the moulded tools and ordered some replacements of the E- place, along with the tow cables and track cable that goes on the side plus late commanders cupola, the gun mantle was flipped not long after I bought the tank I have also ordered the track adjusters and Elmod Gear to work with the HL electric which will hopefully arrive before the weekend
Old 04-09-2008, 05:41 AM
brel
Banned

I need some ideas on a camouflage scheme suitable for a late production tiger in Normandy in 1944. around the period of D Day.
also I need some information as to what was on the tank i.e. tools, pistol ports storage bin etc
Old 04-09-2008, 06:14 AM
zorrow
My Feedback: (34)

hello, could you elaborate on the "track adjusters" please? source and price?
thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 06:25 AM
brel
Banned

ORIGINAL: zorrow

hello, could you elaborate on the "track adjusters" please? source and price?
thanks
they tension the track to stop it jumping off the drive sprocket and rear idler
I have ordered them from this site http://tank-modellbau.de/
the site is in German so you have to use babel fish to get it in English.
He does not use pay pal so you have to either make an international bank transfer or send him cash in Euro's by registered post

Update on the guys paypal status he now does use paypal
Old 04-10-2008, 07:51 AM
brel
Banned

update I am waiting for the elmod gear and the rack adjusters before I can continue
also I need some info on which Tamiya paints to paint a camouflage pattern on it whilst I wait for the bits to arrive
Old 04-15-2008, 04:08 AM
brel
Banned

I have bolted down the gear boxes and put a cross brace between the to stop any lateral movement also painte the tank with red under coat as a base for the final cammo scheme.the el mod gear arrived this morning and am in the process of figuring it out

Name:	Ca81586.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	929482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17695.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	929483  
Old 04-15-2008, 09:14 AM
swathdiver

ORIGINAL: brel

I need some ideas on a camouflage scheme suitable for a late production tiger in Normandy in 1944. around the period of D Day.
also I need some information as to what was on the tank i.e. tools, pistol ports storage bin etc

Since you''re tank has metal road wheels that makes it a February ''44 or later model.

Turret:
New commander''s cupola, no pistol port, flat plate escape hatch, loader''s site with armored cover, ventilator moved to center of turret roof, smoke dischargers no longer installed, 5 spare track links on driver''s side, 3 on radio operator''s side. Some of the later tanks had 40mm roof, either 1 piece or 2 and a grenade launcher in the location where the ventilator fan was installed on the earlier tanks, The 40mm roof tanks had the loader''s hatch from the King Tiger. These late tanks also had a smaller muzzle brake.

Upper Hull and Rear Plate:
Feifel air cleaners gone, jack block deleted, c-clamp on rear plate, coolant heater plate below left armored guard on rear plate, crank starter plate has two holes for bigger motor, option of making a barrel travel lock on rear deck or not, several hundred had them during this time frame, rear hull extensions notched for towing clamp.

Lower Hull:
Hull side extensions up front notched for better movement of clamp for towing and lifting, zimmerit anti-magnetic coating factory applied, all of these tanks were painted at the factory during this time frame in 3 colors, RAL 7028 Dunkelgelb for the base coat, RAL 6003 Olive Green and RAL 8017 Brown were used for the disruptive patterns. These colors were generally applied in large bands with about 1/3 of each color covering the tank.

Running Gear:
In addition to your metal tracks the tanks also switched to the smaller rear idler and the sprocket bolt pattern was changed to a star pattern, both are available in the aftermarket.

I''ve probably forgotten a few things, this is just off the top of my head.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:42 PM
brel
Banned

Thanks for the info Swathdiver, I am looking for an idea on the cammo pattern
also I am not trying to represent an individual tiger just a general representation of one, so some details will be dealt with and others will not ( sorry but I don''t do rivet counting.
I had enough of Rivet counters in the model railroad and train sim world)
Old 04-15-2008, 02:56 PM
swathdiver

This is basically how they were painted from the factory at that time. I agree with the rivet counting, I strive for about 90% accuracy, leaving the most minute and fragile mods off.

Name:	Vt58383.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	929842  
Old 04-15-2008, 04:01 PM
brel
Banned

ORIGINAL: swathdiver

, RAL 7028 Dunkelgelb for the base coat, RAL 6003 Olive Green and RAL 8017 Brown were used for the disruptive patterns.
thanks for the info on these colours, do you know which Tamiya colour is the nearest shade to them
Old 04-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Ern

Hi Brel...

Here''s some links about paint schemes, etc. Good reading. Keep the pictures coming - I''m planning on doing a similar conversion - IF I EVER GET MY TANK BACK FROM MATO! [:@] I think it''s lost in the mail, but tracking provides nothing other than it was picked up for delivery on 4/2/2008. At least it wasn''t delivered to the wrong address and someone else has it!

http://www.panzerworld.net/colours [don''t forget to check the links at the top left corner of this one]

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/tigers.htm

Here's some links for Tamiya and Model Masters colors

http://www.megahobby.com/ProductImag...stors_MMII.pdf

http://www.ontracks.co.uk/library_gu...ur_charts.html

...and I just found this. I didn't look up the specific RAL numbers, but it looks like they cross reference the colors to Tamiya's, and other manufactors paint colors. Hope it helps

http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpo...ce/humbrol.htm
Old 04-15-2008, 04:46 PM
brel
Banned

A few good links there Ern.
I am halfway through fitting the elmod gear and will finish and test it tomorrow as a running chassis the upper hull and turret fitting of the TLS set was pretty straight forward.
the lower hull booster set will take longer because you have to make sure that the motors are connected the right way round and that the run in the right direction, also you have to make sure that you have connected the motor wires from the HL board into the connector block the right way again in accordance with the picture in the literature. I will post some more pictures after it has all been fitted in to the upper and lower hull.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:55 PM
swathdiver

Most fellows use XF60, XF61 and XF64. I prefer Xtracrylix and Polly Scale, they are more accurate and near odorless IMO. Send me an IM with your e-mail address and I''ll send you my excel file on paint colors after Church tonight.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Ern

Sounds good Brel. I''m a total novice with a soldering iron and electronics, and while the El Mod stuff sound great, I wonder about my ability to install it without destroying everything, and if it is worth the cost.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:08 PM
brel
Banned

ORIGINAL: Ern

Sounds good Brel. I''''m a total novice with a soldering iron and electronics, and while the El Mod stuff sound great, I wonder about my ability to install it without destroying everything, and if it is worth the cost.
Ern I will give you an update tomorrow about the think tank booster from elmod. also you have an PM with details of the elmod site
Old 04-16-2008, 01:02 AM
brel
Banned

james Thanks for the colour chart
Old 04-16-2008, 01:41 AM
brel
Banned

pictures after testing the rolling chassis which now weighs 9 pounds and 1.75 ounces
it is now really hard to control the tank in a small area due to the inertia setting of the elmod booster. as you can see the fitting of the kit in the chassis went OK, I have fitted the TLS kit to the upper hull but have to fit the light and refit the turret before I test that part of the kit.

Name:	If10573.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	930417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16357.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	930418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh95002.jpg
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	930419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le92966.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	930420  
Old 04-16-2008, 12:29 PM
brel
Banned

hi an update after further testing and work on arranging the pcb's and reinstalling the proportional smoker
the tiger chassis runs like you would expect a 57.2 tonne tank to do so i.e. slow to build up to speed and slow to stop, the inertia feature of the elmod booster is very good, but be warned the heat sink on the booster gets hot so a fan is required, so I have fitted one.
I have been working on the placement of the TLS unit in the upper hull so that it does not interfere with the gear in the lower hull and the ribbon cable and the original cable does not get trapped on the heat sink or in the fan blades. the chassis now weighs 9 pounds and 5 ounces in the last picture the blue wires connect to a choc block connector because the elmod wires and the proportional smoker control wires don''t fit into the small connectors on the pcb.

Name:	Mk26769.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	930636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48061.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	930637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx59931.jpg
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	930638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30116.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	930639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aj66324.jpg
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	930640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar10116.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	930641  
Old 04-17-2008, 11:17 AM
brel
Banned

looks like the forum has been rolled back to a good back up
so here is the link for My video of testing the chassis on You tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb3SFO8cakA
Old 04-17-2008, 01:17 PM
lanierrl

BREL,

Nice setup. I am in the process of doing a Tiger with the El-MOD gear as well. It looks like you are using a combination of HL and El-MOD electronics. I would love to see how you got the smoker to work. I was not aware it would work with the El-MOD electronics.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:41 PM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: lanierrl

BREL,

Nice setup. I am in the process of doing a Tiger with the El-MOD gear as well. It looks like you are using a combination of HL and El-MOD electronics. I would love to see how you got the smoker to work. I was not aware it would work with the El-MOD electronics.

Nice work Brel!

lanierrl

You can run the EL MOD with the Heng Long board if you want and then you get the smoker and simple radio, but you won't have the power to run a heavy tank and the afterburner has not been approved to run in this configuration!

The Blitz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.