Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Sorry about the video link...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Sorry about the video link...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Ern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry about the video link...

Wow! Sorry I worked last night and missed all the excitement!

I'll just say this - I apologize if I offended anyone by posting the link to the video. I have removed the link from the thread I started. I was amused by the content of the video because of it's references to an internet forum, being banned, being the only one that could spell [we all make typos when posting], and not having anything to do now that he couldn't participate on the forum. How this evolved to "cutting down the enemy" and "the smell of battle", and "no respect" I'm not quite sure. I admit that I have been desensitized to profanity because of the life that I have lived, but Bill, had you answered my PM when I first joined this forum and asked about your background, perhaps you would have learned a bit more about me in return. [If I offended you because I got your rank/grade wrong, again I will apologize, but I couldn't find the picture of you in your uniform and was working from memory when I sent the PM and didn't see the picture again until much later and realized that I was incorrect in stating E6 - I meant no disrespect to you or your military accomplishments].

"Use of language pretty much points to education level and life style"... Contrary to what you apparently believe, I do have a college degree and resent the implication of being uneducated, insensitive, and disrespectful, and being grouped with the current youth of today because I posted a link to a video that contained profanity. Sorry, but I don't say "Oh! Poo Poo!" when I hit my finger with a hammer. Although I served during peace time, I too am a Army vet having served my time with the 3rd Infantry Division in Germany in the 80's [2/15th Inf. Wildlfecken and 1/4th Inf. Aschaffenburg]. I am 46 years old and a 23 year veteran police officer. I too have seen my share, and know all to well the problems of todays society - I see it everyday. I also have the utmost respect for the two generations that preceded mine, and am thankful for the relatively easy life I have been blessed with in comparsion to what you/they have lived through and have experienced, and again, I apologize if anyone was offended.

Can we just talk about tanks now?!
Old 05-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Sorry about the video link...

ORIGINAL: Ern

Wow! Sorry I worked last night and missed all the excitement!

I'll just say this - I apologize if I offended anyone by posting the link to the video. I have removed the link from the thread I started. I was amused by the content of the video because of it's references to an internet forum, being banned, being the only one that could spell [we all make typos when posting], and not having anything to do now that he couldn't participate on the forum. How this evolved to "cutting down the enemy" and "the smell of battle", and "no respect" I'm not quite sure. I admit that I have been desensitized to profanity because of the life that I have lived, but Bill, had you answered my PM when I first joined this forum and asked about your background, perhaps you would have learned a bit more about me in return. [If I offended you because I got your rank/grade wrong, again I will apologize, but I couldn't find the picture of you in your uniform and was working from memory when I sent the PM and didn't see the picture again until much later and realized that I was incorrect in stating E6 - I meant no disrespect to you or your military accomplishments].

"Use of language pretty much points to education level and life style"... Contrary to what you apparently believe, I do have a college degree and resent the implication of being uneducated, insensitive, and disrespectful, and being grouped with the current youth of today because I posted a link to a video that contained profanity. Sorry, but I don't say "Oh! Poo Poo!" when I hit my finger with a hammer. Although I served during peace time, I too am a Army vet having served my time with the 3rd Infantry Division in Germany in the 80's [2/15th Inf. Wildlfecken and 1/4th Inf. Aschaffenburg]. I am 46 years old and a 23 year veteran police officer. I too have seen my share, and know all to well the problems of todays society - I see it everyday. I also have the utmost respect for the two generations that preceded mine, and am thankful for the relatively easy life I have been blessed with in comparsion to what you/they have lived through and have experienced, and again, I apologize if anyone was offended.

Can we just talk about tanks now?!

It's not the first time the video has been posted, nor will it be the last. I still believe if someone doesn't like something, change the channel or find something else to do.

You did nothing wrong, so keep posting those things you feel are funny and informative and we'll leave the moderating to the moderator.

I'm 48 (close to the majority of the age group around here) and still find humor in the little things in life like the video. It sure does take the edge off of hearing about the Korean War all of the time.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:03 AM
wackywheelz

I concur!! Little bit of language, all in good fun

(it wasnt a non-contextual blast directed at anyone, so really theres no point getting upset over a few words "made to be laughed at" video)
Old 05-10-2008, 10:27 AM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it was just that the language was tacky, tasteless and unnecessary. A few years ago, I would have laughed and repeated quotes from the video with friends, as an inside joke. Today, I look at my two innocent sons and I don't want them exposed to that kind of trash. The first time I clicked on the link I did not know what to expect, but luckily my children are still too young to read the words. As a responsible parent, I would have previewed the clip first, but I felt sure that this was a family-safe forum and did not think twice about the content. That is not a mistake I will make again.

Maybe when they are 30 or 35 I will let them use the Internet. That way the adult humor will not be lost on impressionable children.

Happy Tanking,
Jason
Old 05-10-2008, 10:42 AM
wackywheelz

cotton wool anyone?

I'd rather expose people to the everyday realities of REAL LIFE, so their heads don't explode the minute something isnt going "as it should"... it's like parent-germ-freaks, their kids are usually the first ones to get sick or have allergies to regular everyday things
Old 05-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Hey Jason, you know you are very correct when it comes to our children. Having raised 2 myself I feel exactly the same. But I find the same harmful content is on TV too, not so much language oriented, but adult situations that I sometimes are left shocked that it's in the programs and the commercials we must then explain very tackfully. Being a parent isn't an easy job having to 'screen' everything as we go along and unfortunately the internet is the same too. I've always thought this is for adults.

Maybe we should write a disclaimer along with a link we're giving/posting warning parents and those weak at heart. I wouldn't want my child (though they are now 18 and 29) subjected to extreme language.

But for me I have very thick skin and if I don't like it, I just stop the video.

JMHO

Jeff
Old 05-10-2008, 12:39 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Ern,
Having a nasty mouth myself at times and in the right places I still consider myself to have a fair ammount of common sense and respect for other's.I too am not thin skinned as they say and at times can find some hummor even in profanity,in the right setting.This being a public forum where anyone can punch in RCU and then are able to see and read what is on here,I also understand the why for of their rules and agree with the way it is run.I don't feel you had any intention of posting this other than the fact you found some hummor in it and wanted to shre it with other's.Having raised three children and giving a hand at helping raise
two beutifull grand daughters,our sociaty now days is not much to be proud of.All one has to do is look around and see what it has become.Something wrong when you go driving down the street and a couple of 4 or 5 year old kids standing on the sidewalk giving the finger to anyone who happens to drive by.To some this may be funny,but is it really.????? Some of the replys posted concerns me more than the content of the video.Thats where the common sense factor and the respect for other's come into play.
BIGMIG [:-][:-][:-]
Old 05-10-2008, 01:13 PM
icecreamslick

cotton wool anyone?

I'd rather expose people to the everyday realities of REAL LIFE, so their heads don't explode the minute something isnt going "as it should".
I understand that to an extent. You can let your 3-year-old and 5-year-old watch whatever is out there. I'm sure that they will turn out to be well-rounded adults. Prisons need patronage, too. I mean, what would all of the wardens and prison guards do if we all tried to raise our children without exposure to the negative aspects of life?
Old 05-10-2008, 09:54 PM
wackywheelz

OK OK, so you're saying that by letting someone see the "negative" (as common as it is TODAY) aspects of society, then you're kid will turn out a criminal? Oh... rightttt

I know in my life I would rather of seen both sides of how humans operate, the good and the bad, as in the end I feel it makes me a better person, unlike some rich ____ thats never had anything go wrong for them ever, they're no good to no-one because they have no empathy for those going through a rough patch, as they have never remotely been in that situation themselves. FYI my daughter is top of her class in reading and writing (and common sense), heck even in prep she was "level 18" reader while the next kid down was level 10 and the majority of the class under level 6. She reads books everyday, and we read to her too. She has everything I never had, and then some lol!!
Old 05-10-2008, 10:25 PM
thebronze

All this over a video with the "F" word...What would happen if there was some nudity...."Oh My God...a boobie" I have a 3 University degree's and 2 sons 15 and 17 this yr, so I can understand "protecting" our childeren.....But the "F" word is in the dictionary and We all can admit to using the word Ourselves..Heck I bet Our kids use it when they're with their friends...So I think that everyone should relax, accept that it's 2008 not the 50's-80's and Get back to the subject...TANKS

Kevin
Old 05-10-2008, 10:36 PM
wackywheelz

Well said, thebronze
Old 05-11-2008, 12:45 AM
icecreamslick

Old 05-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Panzerfaust77

I don't know why you're apologizing...