Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Early Tiger 1 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Early Tiger 1 questions

I have same book among others, haven't read it in awhile. Ok, I was wrong. They fought the enemy for 1 day and within 2 weeks were wiped out. Unless I was doing a 1/35 diorama of 313 upside down, why bother with these tanks?
Old 06-04-2008, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because contrary to popular beliefs, Heer units fought as bravely and as ferociously as Waffen SS units. But most people choose to just focus on Waffen SS units for some reason...

Sure, they fought at only one counter attack, but they fought like tigers (pun intended) during Goodwood. Imagine getting massively bombed the heck out of you, then rushing to the frontline, facing a massed, concentrated armor attack, and despite the losses, beat back the Allied armored back. The 3rd kompanie was decimated, but they made the Allies pay for it dearly.

That is one impressive fight.

If you read the SS 101 and 102's action in Normandy, they didn't last that much longer anyway.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:29 PM

You're right, they didn't. The 503rd had an impressive combat record at other times and in other theaters.

While I've read through the chapters on the SS units, haven't spent much time on them at all. The 501st in Tunisia has been my primary area of study. I guess it shows, ehh?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:15 AM

I have to admit, Rivetcounter had me confused with talk of "drum coupler" and "late coupler" ([link=http://www.thelightsource.com/products/30/photos/91/huge/image.jpg]This[/link] is a coupler)

I dont know why people have such a hard time spelling cupola, I mean I see copula etc and thats bad enough, but Coupler, that had me beat!! (it was early in the morning that I read it)
Old 06-05-2008, 03:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

11th July 3rd company 503 under the command of Leutnant Von Rosen was in action from Couberville to Colombelles they knocked out 12 Sherman's and captured 2 one is used as a recovery tank, this is quite an achievement for a company that never saw action.

all tanks left the factory painted dark yellow "Dunkel Gelb" they where camouflaged in the field hence the unique camo pattern of SS102 and the diverse patterns used by SS101 and 503, some of 503 Tiger II where painted with tiger stripes.

wackywheelz, you understood perfectly well what I ment LOL
Old 06-05-2008, 04:21 AM

*raised hand* I have a question for any of you "Tiger Experts" :

One of my Books states that an Allied Observation plane spotted "Tigers" in a wooded area in Normany and radioed this information to the Invasion Fleet. Battleships just off shore responded by blasting a number of tanks in that area.

The Naval Gunfire was devastating! Some tanks were blown into the air, overturned, etc ...does anybody know what unit might have been been the target, and if these tanks were indeed Tigers? The Book MAY have been Ryan's "The Longest Day".

( JJ Fedorowicz publishes its WWII Books right here in this City....I could drop out and visit their associated shop "Tiger Hobbies" but those folks take a rather dim view of people pawing through their $100-$200 "Panzer Unit Histories".....!!! )
Old 06-05-2008, 04:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This happened on more than 1 occasion and could have been 503 another unit's suffered the same bombardment there are pictures of up turned Panthers, would need to know the date and area shelled
Old 06-05-2008, 05:23 AM

I know some (Panthers) were bombed by Typhoons and flipped 9th June while making their way along the railway (Norrey en Bessin / Bretteville l'Orgueilleuse) causing scenes like the one below...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15117.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	964104  
Old 06-05-2008, 12:19 PM

Didn't I tell ya this was gonna be good!

For us ametures out there (here?, somewhere), great entertainment with a free history lesson. And we didn't have to spend $800.00 on books to get the info!

Most enjoyable (and informative too), my friends.
Live long, in peace, and prosper!