Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Upgrading the airsoft (question)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Upgrading the airsoft (question)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 04:53 PM
cmryan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading the airsoft (question)

Hi, has anyone any experience with improving the stock airsoft gun? On the box it says that it shoots 25 metres - I can only assume that the standard Chinese metre is a lot shorter than ours. I've used silicon spray in the barrel and bought some high quality BBs but still get a range of about 8-10m [] which is pretty pathetic.

How does creeping death get 170fps? Any ideas?
Old 09-01-2008, 06:24 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: Upgrading the airsoft (question)

some guys have upgraded hl gun with vs tank gun shoots harder .

thanks
jimmy
Old 09-01-2008, 06:32 PM
ostketten

On the box it says that it shoots 25 metres - I can only assume that the standard Chinese metre is a lot shorter than ours.
What you do is position your tank at the edge of a cliff, then fire... your BB will travel 5 feet forward then drop straight down at least 25 meters...LOL If it's any consolation, all my HL tanks have really pathetic BB firing range, only the Panzer III comes anywhere near 25 meters. I've heard you can improve the velocity with stronger springs and I think someone once posted info here on how to do it.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I just used the spring out of the VS gun and made sure everything went together well so there's on air leaks. It made a huge difference to the power.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Chally2

I got threatened that I'd get bombed by a real helicopter (and nicked) if I didn't stop playing with the HL bb gun, by my mate the police inspector.[]

I need more elevation and some explosive ammunition, that'll teach the bugger![X(]

Old 09-01-2008, 08:53 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

Upgrading an HL airsoft gun is as much an art as it is a science. I've been involved in this hobby for over 2 years and have been tinkering with the HL guns for as long. Through trial and error (and I have about 50 destroyed airosft units to prove it) I've pretty much figured out how to maximize the power of the HL tank's main gun through a combination of upgrades to the airsoft unit and replacement of the inner barrel. It's hard to describe all the steps involved but its about a dozen things you need to do to get the unit to work to it's maximum potential (and there's still a risk of the gun self destructing when using it. All my tanks shoot well over 100 feet (and well over 200fps) I just finished modifying my Panzer IV (pics included in another thread) which includes a modified airsoft gun and lathed madbull 6.03mm inner diameter barrel that shoots over 150 feet. I always maintain these are not toys and can really do some damage if hit by a bb (so always wear safety glasses)
Old 09-02-2008, 11:16 AM
cmryan

Thanks all for the replies, inc;luding the tongue-in-cheek ones! lol

Thomasjohnmurphy: perhaps you could list the steps you took and the potential destructability of each one, and then I'll have some ideas of what to try.

Cheers all.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:12 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

first piece of advice
get several replacement units (with the yellow cap motors) There are ones with blue cap motors that are a bit different and won't upgrade- to the extent of the yellow cap motors

what you will need

a stronger (heavier guage)spring (mine are 1 3/4" long by 1/2")

a tight bore inner barrel (you will have to cut it to length and clean out the cut end so the bb will roll freely. As well, you should drill a hole (1-2mm) about 3-4 inches down the barrel. make sure the hole's edges are cleaned so the bb rolls freely.

a spacer (about 1/4 " hex nut) I use 2 to preload the spring, Its about 1/2' total spacing. I even add a few washers to refine the power. These go inside the plunger.

a # 2 washer to compress the tall gear

two #1 washers to compress the second gear from the plunger

you need to cut the small plunger spring in half to increase the power the return plunger sets the bb

you will have to bore out the plastic breach to fit the new inner barrel. Be careful or you may crack it. Don't drill to far because the barrel will hae to set against the rubber seal properly. Even being out byt a fraction of a mm and you gun won't fire regarldess of what you do. You will have to drill it our to 11/32" I start with a smaller drill bit and work my way to that one. I even heat the breach up so its more flexible

I secure the barrel to the gun with a small screw (I drill a hole int he top of the unit and just slightly into the barrel inside the unit. Then I use a small screw to secure it once the barrel is set properly in the unit. (I usually fire several dozen bbs to test the gun and tweat it unti I am satisfied

So even all this there is no guarantee it will work. What tank do you have? I've sold these before here (even on ebay) If you want me to put one together for you PM me

Old 09-02-2008, 03:42 PM
cmryan

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the instructions. You mention #1 and #2 washers - is this referring to the thickness or are they a specific type?

Regards,

Chris
Old 09-02-2008, 07:30 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

these are the washers I have gotten from the local hobby shop. They are small and very small. The inside of the washer is just big enough to fit the gear shaft mentioned. #1 is smaller than #2.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Ern

cmryan... I highly recommend thomasjohnmurphy's upgraded airsoft units. I bought one, and have finally installed it as well as the barrel extension, metal tracks, laser pointer, and RX14 board. The Tiger is looking awesome. I fired off a round and didn't even see it! It bounced around the living room and I have no idea where it went. I stood up a heavy plastic shoping bag [not the thin ones from the grocery] and it shot right through the bag at about 12 feet! I have no idea how many fps this thing has but it is impressive. This tank has been disassembled for a couple months and I was so glad to get it running I took it outside for a spin. Unfortunately, while checking out it's climbing ability with the metal tracks, and turning around to go back down the hill, I snapped the barrel off in front of the barrel extension [] and at the end of the inner barrel... I even turned the gun to the side, but because it was dark I couldn't see that well and soon found out that I didn't turn it far enough.

Anyway, TJM - thank you! More than a fair price for your efforts, and now I have an airsoft that is tank worthy. I've shot myself with the stock HL and an HL that was upgraded with a VS Tank spring, but will not be testing this gun out on myself - or my wife while she is walking away from me!
Old 09-06-2008, 10:13 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

I just posted my first video on Youtube of my upgraded airsoft gun in use (in my Panzer IV)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JhdI1ZD8Dw
Old 09-07-2008, 01:50 PM
cmryan

Hi TJM, your upgrades certainly get good recommendations. I am curious about how much you charge, but I'm also a bit concerned about making it too powerful as I have 2 youngsters in the house and wouldn't want any serious injuries.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:58 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

A couple of points. I never fire my tanks when my kids are around (and they are young and at time clueless when it comes to the dangers of airsoft guns) For a basic gun/barrel combo I charge $30 plus shipping. I believe its about $15 to the UK. I use 0.20g bbs as they fly slower (but straighter) and you can actually see them so you know where they are going. As well, wear safety glasses just incase of rebounding bb.