Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Valkyrie

Old 11-15-2008, 03:11 PM
RMSINSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valkyrie

You may have seen trailers for a Tom Cruise movie, "Valkyrie" coming out this month. It's set in WW2, very loosely based on the plot to assassinate Hitler. Anyway, there are some teaser shots of some DAK Panzers! I can't tell if they are III's or IV's. No, they're not M41's or M60's painted tan, as in a previous movie (Patton). I leave it to those more savvy to view the trailers and ID the tanks...
Old 11-15-2008, 04:04 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Valkyrie

According to IMDb:

" At the height of WW2, a group of high-ranking German officers hatched a plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler, and seize power of the military command in order to end the war. The operation was codenamed "Valkyrie", for the emergency plan that was meant to be used in case of a revolt against the Nazi government. This plan had been modified by the conspirators to ensure their success, but for various reasons the plot failed when finally carried out on 20 July 1944. The conspirators of the inner circle were shot after a kangaroo trial or sentenced to death soon after. "

Many of us may know of this as the July 20th, 1944 Wolfschanze (Wolf's Lair) Headquarters explosion. Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg was the officer who took the bomb into the bunker.

http://valkyrie.unitedartists.com/ (says its due out Jan 30, 2009)

As for the trailer, I went smart, and went to the gallery. There is a Kubelwagen and a Pz. 4, but the tracks look odd, and from the side it looks like they rigged a panel to hide the real tank suspension. Also saw either an Sd.Kfz. 250 or 251 halftrack (could only see the front) and I think I saw the open protective cage (open) of a 222 patrol car!

Look through the site's Navigation link, as the 'Historical' section (still being filled in) is rather informative about the whole situation, and locations.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:24 PM
ksoc

Great job of mocking up tanks. Most of the shots are so busy or moving so fast you can't see clearly, but the suspension on the side is a mock up. Watch the "Featurette" trailer. You will need to pause and go frame by frame. There is also a good shot of the top of a Panzer IV.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/mgm/valkyrie/
Old 11-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

There's definietly a sdkfz 222 (or at least a 1st class replica) out there for hire - the Brits here will know it as Lt Gruber's "little tank" from the BBC comedy 'Hello Hello'
Looking forward to another thread of "spot what they made that tank from" - Oz, hope ur watching mate??
Mart
Old 11-15-2008, 05:54 PM
bubbajoexx

Kubelwagen is also a fake as you can see the homemade substructure in one of the shots and the gaps you can see truogh the doors
Old 11-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I didn't see that in the vid (too busy with other stuff) but there was a post war VW version, did they convert it from that?
post pics folks, lets have some fun!
Old 11-15-2008, 08:20 PM
RMSINSD

Here are a few - the trailer footage is quick and moving...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68265.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	1072842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59932.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	1072843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18652.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	1072844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf95927.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	1072845  
Old 11-15-2008, 09:17 PM
killick64

ORIGINAL: bubbajoexx

Kubelwagen is also a fake as you can see the homemade substructure in one of the shots and the gaps you can see truogh the doors
Check this out You can have/build your very own replica Kubelwagen! See [link=http://www.kooblekar.com/]Welcome to KoobleKarWerke[/link]. (Pic is from the Kooble Kar Company Website.)

....I believe the Post-War version of the Kubel was known in the US simply as "The Thing". It was very popular with the (wave) Surfing Dudes !

Name:	Bz78764.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1072874  
Old 11-15-2008, 09:36 PM
killick64

Here's a shot of the 1974 model of "The Thing".... Called the "Safari" in the UK and the "Trekker" in other parts of the Commonwealth.

Name:	Us53848.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1072893  
Old 11-16-2008, 02:58 PM
militarymight

At least they are trying to reproduce vehicles that look genuine not just paint some American armour Grey and paint a cross on it, remember the Battle of the Bulge movie.
Even if they dont fool you guys at least they are trying to be realistic.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:00 AM
RMSINSD

ORIGINAL: militarymight

At least they are trying to reproduce vehicles that look genuine not just paint some American armour Grey and paint a cross on it, remember the Battle of the Bulge movie.
Even if they dont fool you guys at least they are trying to be realistic.
Our dissections are all in fun, I'm sure. The director is known to be a fan of that period in history, so he's doing a good job. After all, if it takes a frame by frame inspection to determine if it's real or not, the illusion is high quality!
Old 11-17-2008, 01:56 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the Kubelwagen is a VW 181 post war military vehicle based on the Kubelwagen the reenactment group I'm involved with has 2, the panzer IV as has been said is a mock up