Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New boy has questions about the tanks he has just bought.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New boy has questions about the tanks he has just bought.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 02:27 AM
perthboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New boy has questions about the tanks he has just bought.

Hi,
Well, just bought my first tanks,

A Henglong Snow Leopard.
A Henglong Tiger 1 ( without sound or smoke).
A Matorro King Tiger ( with smoke and sound).
Staight away my problems have started and I would like some advice please.
The Snow Leopard is slow and has always run at one speed.
The Tiger 1 was ok and seemed to have a slow and fast speed, now its reverted to one slowish speed.
All this happened in the first hours of running.
The King Tiger ( Which arrived yesterday ) has not run at all, as the controller does not work, it does not even light up.
I have contacted the supplier of the King Tiger and he is sending another controller out to me.He is Australia based.
The Henglong tanks were bought from the USA.
Does anyone have any suggestions to maybe sort out these faults.
Regards
Perthboy.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:45 AM
M.A.Ts

Default RE: New boy has questions about the tanks he has just bought.

Hi perthboy make sure the batteries are fully charged, the batteries supplied are not the best, The non S&S Tanks are very basic in there function only one speed.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:32 AM
perthboy

Hi MATs,
Both batteries are fully charged , using the formula found on this forum, as regards time on charge.
The manuals with both tanks states that to obtain full speed ,push the R/Hand control stick fully forward.
On the Tiger1 this did seem to make a differance at first, but not now.
The Snow Leop[ard was slow straight out of the box, and remains so.
Also with having the problem with the controller with the King Tiger( it does not work ),
its all turning out a big disappointment.
Regards,
kango
Old 01-14-2009, 08:17 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone has been warned about the NON S&S tanks. Stay away from them. Always Buy S&S . IS your snow leopard non S&S as well?

Usually slow speed is a function of the batteries. Not many complain about a single speed Heng long being too slow!!!!!!! I don't know what you were expecting, these are not buggies. Most of us go to great time and expense to slow ours down.

Check you tracks and gears. Make sure nothing is binding Take them apart and have a look inside. Every tanker has to do this sooner or later. You might as well get used to it, and roll your sleeves up and get started.

You probably won't get more then 30 minutes out of a stock battery. Charge them up and see if this immediately improves your speed.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:20 PM
andicog

Well I,ve just bought a second hand Panzer 3 non S+S, that too had two speeds but high speed was intermitent, if you open up the transmitter and look at the contact for the speed stick you will see it has two small fixed contacts for the forward slow and fast speed, in my case the fast contact was not being touched by the other half of the switch even though the stick was pushed fully forward, as the 'trim' levers are glued I just gently bent the moving contact so it touches the fast segment at full stick travel. It really is easy to sort out, cleaned the contacts and it now runs fine, I have recently bought two non S+S (panzer 3 and Tiger) for very little money, whilst they are not as good as the later Tanks they are good value and can be upgraded as and when required.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:37 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's your batteries. They'll need conditioning to see if they're up to par. The Pershing is slow to begin with. That's why it seems so much slower compared to the Tiger. See the difference in sprocket sizes?
Old 01-14-2009, 04:32 PM
perthboy

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer my questions and moans about the two HengLong tanks I have bought.
Yes, VHR, theSnow Leopard is non S&S as well.
Its my fault for not doing my homework before buyng the Henglongs at a sale in the USA, they seemed a bargain at the time.
I will just have to put up with their limitations and try the suggestions on this forum to make some improvements to them.
The function with the controller that andicog describes, is very similar to my problem, so my next step is to have a look inside to see if there is a problem with the contacts.

Is there a guide anywhere on the forum that shows how to disassemble these tanks.
If the standard batteries are not very good, has anyone a suggestion as to what to buy to replace them.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:00 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "search" feature is your friend mate! 3000mah and larger batteries with a peak charger is the way to go. You'll also see lots of posts on how to upgrade them to better electronics without going broke.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:28 PM
timslocum

I'm a new tanker and I've spent a great deal of time doing searhes and reading ALOT of info on upgrades, fixes etc. I was lucky and heard the warning to get S&S, so thats what I got. This still didnt keep me from running into troubles, but probably saved some. Were I got my tank the price difference between S&S and standard tanks was very small.