Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

My HL Tiger - work in progress

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

My HL Tiger - work in progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 03:26 AM
leggeron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My HL Tiger - work in progress

The way I see it, my Tiger will probably always be a work in progress. Now it is at the innitial stage of weathering - nothing much to show, but I am working on it. At this stage I have installed proper metal headlights, engine grills, detailed the jack, corrected the gun mantle, pistol port and commander's hatch, made dents and twists and moved the antenna to its proper place. I wanted to scrape off the body cast tools but I lack the necessary cutting tool at the moment so I put this off for sometime in the future. So far there is nothing modified in the running gear. I have painted the panzer gray basecoat and added a light whitewash/filter. I dont use an airbrush. Some progress pics:

Does not look particularly good at this stage, but it will look better along the way.
This what I managed with the godawfull HL commander (I have never been good with figures anyway, but to be honest it looks better than on the pic):

And of course a zink bucket
Old 01-17-2009, 04:18 AM
1percenta

Default RE: My Tiger - work in progress

Looks good, a friend of mine here in Australia want to build a Tiger and a Pantha. Did you buy this as a kit, or have you hand made it, what can you tell me about it. Regards Mick
Old 01-17-2009, 07:24 AM
leggeron

Default RE: My Tiger - work in progress

Its just a Heng Long Tiger.
http://www.rctank.de/index.php?cPath...929b374cab7cb1
This is a German vendor of Heng Long tanks and accessories you can take a look at. You can read a lot about these tanks on these forums.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:59 AM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My HL Tiger - work in progress

Tiger looks nice and the field damage is just right.

Hope you have got some heat. I was in Sofia and Plovdiv in Nov-Dec but the Russians hadn't cut off the heating oil. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Sturmgewehr
My Feedback: (4)

Looks great!
Old 01-17-2009, 01:57 PM
atkleiv

Keep the pictures coming, I am one step behind you.

atkleiv
Old 01-17-2009, 03:36 PM
leggeron

Today I installed the metal towing cables, painted the tools on deck (god I hate those casted buggers), applyed some rust from a rust kit, drybrushed and blackwashed. All in all its a big mess . I ll make some pics in the morning.
Im quite unhappy with the rust. Its a 3 component set - adhesive, metal dust and developer. I have trouble getting the dust to adhere to surfaces as a whole and to get it to develop where applyed in very small quantities. I ll have to play with it some more. Basically whats left is to paint some rust dots here and there, to apply soot powder on the muzzle break, mufflers and engine deck, apply decals when they arrive and durty them a bit, and to powder the tank with russian steppe dust. This will be the end of the first stage.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:04 PM
timslocum

leggeron, Im anxious to see the updated pictures as it looks like you and I have about the same idea of what we want our Tiger to look like. I have my towing cables,tools,figure, and tracks painted. Im planning the following washes, grime, mud, rust and a final black wash. I havent figured out how to post pictures here, but I will on www.rcgroups.com in the tank section, probably next week.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:26 PM
leggeron

ORIGINAL: timslocum

leggeron, Im anxious to see the updated pictures as it looks like you and I have about the same idea of what we want our Tiger to look like. I have my towing cables,tools,figure, and tracks painted. Im planning the following washes, grime, mud, rust and a final black wash. I havent figured out how to post pictures here, but I will on www.rcgroups.com in the tank section, probably next week.
Make sure to give a link here, Im very curious myself!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:48 PM
SoulAssassin

How do you take off the turret?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:24 AM
leggeron

I used this guide
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743482
Old 01-18-2009, 03:57 AM
leggeron

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

Tiger looks nice and the field damage is just right.

Hope you have got some heat. I was in Sofia and Plovdiv in Nov-Dec but the Russians hadn't cut off the heating oil. Good luck.
Heating is low, but the weather is nice these days so its ok for now, thanks for the concern Patton

Here is yesterday's work. Took the pictures inside behind curtains since the sun was agresively bright.

Dont mind the wheels. So far I dont like the towing cables and rust, I ll see if I can improve those.
Btw, any advice on improving the commander, or should I sack him all together?
Old 01-18-2009, 04:57 AM
atkleiv

I think it looks nice! What are you going to do with the tracks?

A.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:04 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks great! Don't forget to lengthen the barrel.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:58 AM
leggeron

I plan to get metal tracks and let them weather themselves naturally.
The gun extension is beyond my skills
Old 01-19-2009, 01:15 AM
timslocum

leggeron, could you tell me what order you used the washes? Looks like you have a white, black and ? Im keeping the plastic tracks for now. I gave them a steel wash, followed by a little rust and then a mud wash. Finally, I sealed it all with several coats of dullcoat. As for your figure, repaint the piping panzer pink, thats the correct color. Also the ribbon on his right lappel is White and red. These are nitpicky things, overall it looks really good, alot like mine. Go to www.rcgroups.com go to the tank section and on the second page theres a thread of mine about my HL Tiger figure. You'll get some useful info there.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:46 AM
leggeron

I used just a white wash, off white drybrushing, rusting and a blackwash in that order. I applyed a tad bit more rust yesterday. The tow cables are really beginning to bug me, I will probably give them a heavier black wash and later a brown-rustish wash. Your figure thread was really usefull - thanks! When I was looking at unifrom pictures the piping DID look pinkish, but for some reason I thought it could not possibly be pink hehe, thought it was a faded/faulty red. Ill correct it when I get my hands on pink.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:36 AM
timslocum

Thanks for the info. I had the same reaction to the pink!! Some of the German uniforms were very flamboyant. Painting that tiny piping about made me go blind!! My only regreat is I couldnt get the iron cross to look better. HL makes there figures out of some funky rubber material that does strange things to paint. Even with a basecoat, it seems somethings trying to seep thru the paint on my figures hat! Makes it look stained. I put about 10 coats of flat on it and it still looks too shiny for me. Its amazing how your tank is turning out how I invisioned mine. I may not do a much battle damage(not familar with techniques) and I may try some ideas about mud out. I've gotten 3 different brands of rust color and I dont like them, I think there too red. I dont think that allot of rust is very realistic, so Im going easy on that. I dont like the way the sprockets are silver, I may paint them grey, to match the road wheels. Who know's maybe someone did this in real life? As soon as I get a little more done, I'll be posting pictures. Have fun with your Tiger!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:43 AM
timslocum

TOW CABLES I really like how my tow cables turned out. Here's what I did. I removed them from the tank. Then I painted them with Model Master Steel, not a wash...full strength. Then I gave them a fairly strong wash of black followed by some dabs of med strength rust here and there. Lastly I painted the hold downs grey to match the hull. The "pipes" or whatever those things in the middle are, I painted grey also. I read somewhere that they should be brass colored or paiinted the same as the hull. Thats all. I like the way the black settles into the cables.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:01 AM
leggeron

Yep, the figure is a nightmare. Mine's face is also dented on one side - hardly visible now with the headphones though. I had to cut off the arms and reposition them and I couldnt get putty to stick on that damned rubber. Didnt have much troubles with the paint apart from it remaining glossy even after dull coating twice.
Painting rust is often frustrating, never can really get it to look right - its either too red or too orange or too drown or too whatever. I remember Testor's/Model Master had probably the best rust color paint, but I cant get my hands on any where I live. And so I opted to use a rust kit. Following the instructions didnt quite give me the result I wanted - it had trouble adhering to the model. Last night I tryed mixing the metal dust and rust developer with Revel Contacta model glue and I ll see how it turned out when I get back from work - it did stick better though.
Its beyond me why HL ships the Tiger with silver sprockets and idlers, but then you need to repaint the whole thing anyway. I do battle damage by heating the plastic with a candle untill it softens up (or starts burning lol - dont heat it to the point that it starts deforming and dripping hehe) and I dent it with a screwdriver handle. While soft I cut between the separate plates of the fenders. Plastic is very thick and hard. Ideally I would have cut away the fenders allthogether and replaced them with tin strips, but currently my premier cutting tool is a swiss army knife - which doesnt quite cut it
Im eager to see your pics.
And yeah, its all about fun!
Old 01-19-2009, 05:11 AM
leggeron

For the tow cables I got this kit
http://www.tankzone.co.uk/images/tam/T1/cables%2B.jpg
Turned out out the mounts are not enough, I need 4 small ones more... should have taken a better look at the picture...
also the 4 large mounts are made in a way I cant insert the middle gun cleaning rods... so no rods on my tank for now, I need to figure something out though.
I painted the cables with an iron metaliser and blackwashed but they need more work.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:26 AM
timslocum

Gun cleaning rods....thats what they are! I was wondering what those where. Obviously, I have alot to learn. Im still a newby to armour. It will be a while before I post pictures, Im afraid. I've never really painted armour or figures before, so I hope I can pull it off. So your from Bulgaria?Your English is very good. Sofia is the capital right?, I was just reading about the last weeks of WWII, when the Allies where overrunning Germany,Austria, Bulgaria etc,etc. and I remember Sofia being mentioned. God, I'd love to travel to Europe and see some of the places I've only read about.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:57 AM
leggeron

Yep, your right. Bulgaria was a measly axis country. Which by the way never ever declared war on the USSR (due to previous hystorical events), it did however declare war on all other Allies, but the USSR ran it over never the less with no fighting from our side - sort of a piecefull occupation. So we had really bad luck in being overrun by the USSR rather than the US or Brittish forces, which is a weird thing for me to say since both my grandfathers were communist partisans...big irony hehe.

Europe has a lot to show, I hope you make the trip some day!
Old 01-22-2009, 04:16 AM
leggeron

Got these decals today http://www.rctank.de/images/ep1076.jpg
Will apply them probably tonight. I decided to give the tank a dull coat before that and to my horror after doing it most of my white and black washing dissapeared... Oh well, I ll have to wash it again after the decals anyway...
Old 01-22-2009, 05:36 AM
atkleiv

ORIGINAL: leggeron

Got these decals today http://www.rctank.de/images/ep1076.jpg
Will apply them probably tonight. I decided to give the tank a dull coat before that and to my horror after doing it most of my white and black washing dissapeared... Oh well, I ll have to wash it again after the decals anyway...

Oh no, now I am afraid to dull coating my tank...will all of my work disapear?

A

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.