Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Pershing vs Sherman...Tracks- are they the same?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Pershing vs Sherman...Tracks- are they the same?

Old 01-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Dmon1996

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pershing vs Sherman...Tracks- are they the same?

Are the metal tracks for a Pershing the same as for the Sherman? I've got a HL Pershing, and the track sure looks the same to me. The reason I ask is because I do not want to wear out the vintage metal tracks on my Tamiya Sherman, and the tracks for a HL Pershing are far cheaper than any posted for a Sherman (which currently is only for a Tamiya Sherman). Add to that the fact that a Pershing should have a longer track, and I'd have extra track to put on as battle protection as they sometimes did.

So, am I right?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:04 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pershing vs Sherman...Tracks- are they the same?

Not sure how accurate the 1;16 tracks are, but the Easy 8 Sherman and Pershing tracks are not the same. As regards 23 inch width and using the same end connectors, they are both alike, however the Pershing used a narrow tooth style center guide wheras Sherman had smaller road wheels with much more space between them and used a rubber block double pin or steel combat track track with a square block center guide. Both tanks later went to the rubber track for extended use and less damage to roads..
Old 01-26-2009, 06:41 PM
phasor

Hello, Yes, you're RIGHT. My Tamiya Sherman is currently set up as you thought. I have chosen to keep as spare the stock Tamiya tracks and used instead a spare Henglong Pershing tracks. I would not call it an excellent 100% fit but it works perfectly fine and have ran the Sherman countless times through grass, pebbles and long drives (several blocks) with absolutely no problem. Track width matches the Tamiya sprocket but the meshing of the sprocket teeth and track links may be off by perhaps 1 or 2% - no problem though.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:42 PM
BarkingSquirrel

While we're on the subject, does anyone know what tracks are exactly one inch wide? I need to replace 1 inch wide tracks on a conversion, the M41A3's tracks look very close to the type of tracks that I'm replacing, but in the end any kind of track will do so long as its 1 inch or less wide.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:49 PM
phasor

Hi, Henglong's Panzer III/IV track width is pretty close to 1 inch.