Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Advice on Airbrushes

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:31 PM
SoulAssassin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Airbrushes

Ok folks I want to get an airbrush. Whats a good, not too expensive airbrush that I can use for my models? Also what compressor would you guys recommend?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:10 AM
skosti

Default RE: Advice on Airbrushes

I LIke the Grex line of airbrushes as good as or better then the Iwata's and half to one third the price. they have a website. for an aircompressor you have 2 general choices A "airbrush compressor" Small quiet and usually pretty expensive or a small compressor from harbor freight or similar discount tool place. bigger noiser can be used for other things around the house and about half the price. Stay away from those el cheapo airbrush compressors they arent worth the money.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:03 AM
AlphaAuriga
My Feedback: (17)

I use a Paasche Millenium... Not expensive and does everything you need for 1/16th scale tanks. Very versatile with regard to what medium you can run through it... I've also go Iwatas and Sotars too, but have yet to pick either one up when working on my tanks.

Compressors... Early on I tried a few and came to realize a "silent" compressor was for me... The noise on some of the cheap ones will drive you to distraction. What you should look for in a compressor is one that has a moisture trap, regulator, and some type of tank that holds the air. I tried one that did not have a tank and the air would come out in pulses...
Old 03-28-2009, 02:00 PM
thebronze

I use an Iwata Micron C....Fantastic airbrush....Will do anything you need..was a little pricey but a great piece of kit
Old 03-29-2009, 01:11 AM
streetsquid

SoulAssassin,
For what it's worth - I've used a lot of airbrushes, I currently own 5. I have a Testor's/Aztek 470, a Pashe HB100 single action, a Badger 150, An Olympus HB-100 Internal mix, gravity feed, and the Iwata Eclipse. For me the best hands down is the Iwata.

I have "test driven" the GREX brushes and have to admit I was very impressed with both the quality of the construction and the flexibility in settings of the brush. Although I don't own one yet, I think Skotsi has a great point they seem to be very nice brushes.

Here in the states the Iwata goes for $149 at Hobby Lobby, but if you look their website you can usually find 40% off coupons almost weekly. I also bought Iwata's whisper quite Smart Jet Compressor ($249 @Hobby Lobby), but use the coupon for that as well. Using the coupons you can land the $400 get up for about $250.

Whatever you choose make sure you do lots of research. These are expensive tools that should last you a long time if you take care of them (I owned my last compressor for 27 years), so make sure it's not only something you can live with, but something you'll be happy with.

Squid
Old 03-29-2009, 05:04 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I gotta agree with streetsquid. I was advised to get Iwata Eclipse also. I have over the years used several others, and the Iwata hands down is the best. Got it for about $100 last summer, thanks to a friend/customer in CA. Compressors, can't help you there besides advise one with a tank. I use the heavy duty one we have here for work on the house, and did the same in USA. You will want a good pressure regulator and water seperator, and don't forget to drain the air tank of water periodically. You can test drive compressors for the quietest. Also hit yard sales. It is amazing what shows up there. Friend of mine in Jax got an almost new Sears top of the line one for 30 bucks at a garage sale.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the brands listed above make great airbrushes so any one would be a good buy. i would just stick to a brand that is easy to find replacemant parts. the needles can easilly be damaged or bent, and the nozzels can become out of round. This will affect the spray pattern. Also get a good airbrush cleaning kit,and the proper cleaning solution for what ever type of paint that you like too use.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:44 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tamiya Spraywork #74520 is what I use. It's powered by the same batteries we run in our tanks. Also bought a very fine airbrush for minute detail work but really don't need it for this size tank, just for ship models and such.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:10 PM
SoulAssassin

Looks like Im going to go with an Iwata Eclipse. Is the Eclipse HP-CS a good one?
Old 03-29-2009, 04:58 PM
streetsquid

SoulAssassin,
The HP-CS is the Eclipse model I have and it's really well suited for painting models (Both RC and smaller scales). The body design is a dual action, gravity feed ( 1/3 oz. color cup is integrated into the top of the airbrush body, read non-removable) the needle allows a lot of versatility from very fine lines to wide spray coverage.

The other Eclipse models basically have either a smaller (1/16th oz for HP-BS) a removable side mounted color cup on the HP-SBS, or are a syphon feed HP-BCS (has a lift hose) design with a bottle attached to the bottom. All are internal mix and made of high quality easy to disassemble and clean parts. They are also relatively popular so parts are easy to find. Iwata also has a 5 year warranty.

Here's a link to their site page for the Eclipse Series

http://www.iwata-medea.com/index.php/products/eclipse/

And this is the product description for the HP-CS from that site.

This multi-purpose, high-paint-flow, high-detail Eclipse Series airbrush covers a wide range of uses. Commonly used to spray premixed or heavier paints, it is well suited for uses demanding precise control of spray when applying moderate-to-large amounts of paint to a variety of surfaces and to various-sized areas. This Eclipse Series brush has established a new benchmark for excellence in an all-purpose airbrush.

· Gravity-feed airbrush features a unique 0.35-mm needle and nozzle combination for fine-detail spraying, but with high-paint-flow capacity

· Generous 1/3 oz. sized cup is designed with a new funnel shape, which makes for easy clean up and more efficient paint flow

· Automotive artists, fine artists and students will appreciate how well the Eclipse CS sprays heavier acrylics and Medea Textile Colors, while maintaining high-detail spray characteristics

I hope this helps at least a little. I don't believe you can wrong with that brush. But that's just my humble opinion, because it works well for me and the techniques I employ in my model making.

Best of Luck!

Squid
Old 03-29-2009, 07:04 PM
SoulAssassin

Ok Streetsquid u got me convinced. Im getting the HP-CS. Thank you everybody for your advice.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:21 PM
hdbeast

SoulAssassin, look here if you haven't already ordered your Airbrush, these guys are here in Ca and are great to order from. http://www.coastairbrush.com/products.asp?cat=32

Gary
Old 03-29-2009, 10:25 PM
SoulAssassin

Thanks hdbeast but I found a new set with an Iwata Smart Jet compressor on ebay for 280 and free shipping.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:58 PM
chinito_03

hi, am planning t use a spray paint whch is on a can... so any advice on how to use it? cuz am used to m airbrush but i left it n CA and am here in TX...
Old 03-30-2009, 12:15 AM
streetsquid

Chinito 03,

For what it's worth there are a few tricks that will help with successful spray painting.

1. Submerge the can of paint in warm water before spraying. Make sure the water is not hot! Hot water can cause too much expansion in the can and create a dangerous amount of internal pressure, which in turn could cause the can to explode. But if you submerge the can in warm water then take it out and shake it frequently you will get much better results. Should take 15-20 minutes in the warm water, and shake the can for about 45-60 seconds at least 5-6 times during that 20 minute period. The warm water will warm the paint, making it less viscous and shaking it will get the agitator moving inside to do it's job. Between the heat and agitator the paint becomes more evenly suspended in the carrier fluid (solvents) which means it will flow much more easily, as well as lay down in a smooth level surface.

2. Don't spray the paint too thick. Several light coats is ALWAYS better than one heavy coat. In fact it's best to start with 2-3 light mist coats that almost appear to be be rough and not completely cover the underlying plastic. These light mist coats give "tooth" or something for the later coats of paint to stick to. Once you have applied several mist coats, then go ahead and spray on several heavier "wet" coats. These wet coats of paint will stick to the tooth coat you applied previously. Using this method also ensure a nice smooth and even finish with good adhesion.

3. As with any successful paint job (rattle can, airbrush, or brush) prep is paramount. Make sure all of the parts you are painting are clean and dry. If you don't have a purpose made plastic prep you can use rubbing alcohol as a good alternative to remove dirt, dust, and skin oils. If you have metal parts use a decent metal primer before adding the final color coat.

I hope this helps, but if you have questions or need clarification let me know!

Streetsquid
Old 03-30-2009, 12:32 AM
chinito_03

thanks.. ill try it tomorrow..
Old 03-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 for Iwata. I upgraded my Paasche VLS for an Iwata CM-B Custom Micron.