Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Question..

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Freddi79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question..

Is it true that you'll need a much more powerful battery after installing Metal drive wheels/idlers/tracks? I have a 2000mah that came with my HL tiger S&S, is that enough power for these upgrades?
Old 04-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Ern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question..

Freddi, if you are still using the stock battery, then I'd get a new one anyway. What kind of run time are you getting out of it? Of the three tanks I've bought, two stock batteries wouldn't even take a charge, and the one in the Bulldog I got my nephew dies after maybe 15 minutes. I'm using the Trinity Reference 3000 mAh and get tired of driving it before the battery runs down. Well over an hour run time, and that is with metal gears & tracks, Creeping Death turret with the black light for the tracer system on, headlights, and a 5v Novak fan running cooling the board. I love the Trinity battery. They are a lot smaller than the stock battery [length and width so there's room for the wires and connectors in the battery box], and you can get the 3000 mAh on eBay for around $25 - Tower Hobbies [a sponsor of this site] has them too.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...nity+reference
Old 04-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question..

The size of the battery isn't really what determins it's power. That is a different element of it's own. A larger capacity battery will give you longer run times, which is always a bennifit. batteries are rated in capacity and the amount of voltage it can discharge at a given rate. I'm sure there are menbers here that can explain it better than I so I'll leave that too them.

The stock battery that comes with the HL tanks are not the greatest quallity in the first place so you should get better ones anyway. Beleive it or not the battery packs that Radio Shack sell are actually very nice packs at a reasonable price. You might want to try one of them.