Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Which gear box to get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:53 AM
goldminer7759

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which gear box to get?

My son's Pershing has managed to eat the metal gear box that came in it. RC Command has three options for a replacement.
1.] Regular metal gear box for $26.00
2.] Steel gear box for $37.00
3.] 3 to 1 reduction metal gear box for $50.00

The tank has metal tracks and I want some input on which gear box will give the longest life. He runs the tank mostly outdoors in the grass and dirt. Does not abuse it but he does run it hard. Thanks for any help or ideas!
Old 04-19-2009, 09:09 AM
blitzkrieg65

Default RE: Which gear box to get?

ORIGINAL: goldminer7759

My son's Pershing has managed to eat the metal gear box that came in it. RC Command has three options for a replacement.
1.] Regular metal gear box for $26.00
2.] Steel gear box for $37.00
3.] 3 to 1 reduction metal gear box for $50.00

The tank has metal tracks and I want some input on which gear box will give the longest life. He runs the tank mostly outdoors in the grass and dirt. Does not abuse it but he does run it hard. Thanks for any help or ideas!
The Pershing by design of the sprocket is one of the slowest tanks, I think if you go with the steel stock gearbox you will not loose speed, maybe gain slightly because its is a higher quality gearbox! IF you are going do IR Battles or want to climb steep hills, but sacrifice the speed that you have already then go with the 3:1 box IMHO

The Blitz
Old 04-19-2009, 09:45 AM
thomasjohnmurphy

and if you get the 3:1 gearbox you (WILL) need faster motors (speed 400s). I have that set-up in my tiger and Jagdtiger (both have metal tracks) . I think the steel gears would be good, You can always replace the 10t pinion with an 8 tooth one. I had that set up on my tiger and jagdtiger which worked well. I and using that on a KT with metal tracks and its fine but 3:1 with a speed 400 would be ideal
Old 04-19-2009, 03:37 PM
goldminer7759

Thanks for the input! I will order the steel gearbox this week.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:41 PM
oddball77

I just received a steel gearbox from Rccommand this week for my Jagdpanther..It is great..you will love it.