Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Airbrush compressor help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Ern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbrush compressor help

Now that everyone's talked me into giving it a try, and trying to stay on a budget, will this compressor work for painting a few tanks? I want to do it right though, so if this won't work please tell me why and what I should be looking for. I was looking at the Paasche D500 but read a bad review saying that it pulses and was not recommended.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Centr...spagenameZWDVW

Sorry to post another airbrush question, but most of the online material deals with painting fingernails and cars...
Old 04-22-2009, 11:45 AM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: Airbrush compressor help

yes that one will work ive got one all most like it works great for doing models and rc tanks and cars picked it up 20 years ago and still works good . And here is a link about compressors for airbrushes . http://www.howtoairbrush.com/compres...irbrushing.htm

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 04-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Ern

Thanks Jimmy! I found that site and have been reading a bunch, and it is what got me wondering if 30psi was sufficient. The compressor page talks about 10-20psi for some paints, and 40-60psi for others and I wasn't sure about the paints for our needs. I believe that I've read that they are thinned, but wasn't sure where they fall in the range
Old 04-22-2009, 12:08 PM
hdbeast

Ern, I have a small airbrush compressor like that, I used it for years, it carried the Badger name and works fine for small projects, mine still works after 25 years, that one looks like the ones sold at Harbor Freight if you have one in your area, they also sell online if you don't.

Here is a article to read about using compressed air tanks to compressors. http://www.craigcentral.com/models/airsource.pdf

Compressed air tanks can be leased and we use them on the job for finish nail guns when it's a small job and don't want the sound of a compressor running. I lease three different sizes from about two feet tall to four feet tall, you pay deposit and the cost to fill.

Gary
Old 04-22-2009, 12:09 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

For the model type hobby we dont need top of the line like they use for body and pin strip work on cars some guy's just use the cans of air but that can add up if you paint alot some guy's will only buy a compressor with a tank on it ive got a 4 gallon I use at work but you have to turn it way down for painting works good for a nail gun so at home I use one just like the one your looking at with a single action airbrush for years painting 1/35 armor and planes and now 1/16 tanks just picked up a dual action airbrush this winter will be using it after finish paint booth in basement .

did this model with it years a go .

thanks
jimmy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36354.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1185209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55943.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1185210  
Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 PM
efcee

Hey Ern, not sure if you already bought a compressor...but I'd check out TCP Global's store on eBay http://stores.ebay.ca/TCPGlobal-AutoBodyDepot
They carry a various types of compressor, parts, airbrush kits...got an airbrush compressor combo for under $100 shipped to Canada...
Old 04-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Ern

Thanks efcee... No, I haven't got one yet but am watching a couple on eBay. Thanks for the link!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Ern

If you're looking for an airbrush compressor, I just found a 20% coupon for Harbor Freight online. I've never even heard of them [except here] and just found out they have two store in town. They have the Central Pneumatic compressors for airbrushes... coupon can only be used in stores though

http://dealspl.us/harborfreight-coupons

http://www.teamcny.com/jeep/images/f...eighcoupon.jpg
Old 04-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I bought Harbor Freight's Airbrush and compressor set nearly 12 months ago on the recommendation of another forum member and have not yet regreted it despite having used it all year and painted 20 tanks, and counting! (tho on reflection it was about the only good thing I bought from them... )
It's not the best but its not bad - and the dual action airbrush that comes in the kit is definitely better than the single action Badger 200 I bought afterwards - that cost more than the origial airbrush and compressor put together [:@]