Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

new found hobby...RC tank :-)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

new found hobby...RC tank :-)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:23 PM
efcee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new found hobby...RC tank :-)

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, just recently got my Heng Long German Tiger I tank, it's a S&S version...got it from MatoMart about a month ago. I just completed breaking in the gearboxes, then I corrected the position of the cupola, that's pretty much it right now....I actually started painting the tank, detailing and weathering it. I plan on upgrading to metal tracks, sprockets, and idlers...the metal suspension and wheels can come later I'm guessing...I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I can get these upgrades cheap online...also can someone please advise how I can waterproof my tank...links, vids, how to's would be appreciated...thanks...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38031.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1185497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58651.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1185498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12861.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1185499  
Old 04-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Ern

Default RE: new found hobby...RC tank :-)

Welcome aboard... the Tiger's looking good - you've been busy! Being from north of the border you may want to look at Mato for upgrade parts... https://matomart.com/product.php?c=1000040

or RC Command here in the states is going crazy on what he's getting in lately - lots of good stuff!! Check him out to - if the shipping isn't bad to Canada you can't go wrong with them or their service http://www.rccommand.com/
Old 04-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Ern

Someone just asked about waterproofing last week... here's a old thread that may help you out http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_46...2Ctight/tm.htm

If you want to search for more, go to the bottom of the page and you will see a search text box [above the Google logo] Type in what you are looking for, eg: waterproofing, and hit the search button. That will only search the Tank Forum. The search at the top of the page searches all of RC Universe forums snf you'll get lost the replies
Old 04-22-2009, 09:39 PM
efcee

thanks on Ern...Mato is good for shipping up in here, but they're really limited on what accesories you can get...however they might just have the metal sprockets, idlers, and tracks that i need...have you ever dealt with tankzone (http://www.tankzone.co.uk/cart/henglong.htm) they have a LOT of parts and accessories, but the shipping might be a bit more...
Old 04-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Ern

I've never dealt with Tankzone because when I joined here there were a lot of negative comments and extremely long delays in getting orders completed. Check out RC Commands site. It seems like he has been getting new things in every week and is constantly improving his stock. If you don't see what you are looking for, email Bill at RCCommand from the web site and tell him what you are looking for. You will see him occassionally here on the forum as well - great to deal with!
Old 04-22-2009, 10:57 PM
efcee

Really...hmmm, I've heard different...anyhow thank you for telling me someone from RCcommands that I can contact, I'll definitely hit up Bill for my future accesories/parts needs...
Old 04-23-2009, 01:47 AM
ssrc30

ORIGINAL: efcee

thanks on Ern...Mato is good for shipping up in here, but they're really limited on what accesories you can get...however they might just have the metal sprockets, idlers, and tracks that i need...have you ever dealt with tankzone (http://www.tankzone.co.uk/cart/henglong.htm) they have a LOT of parts and accessories, but the shipping might be a bit more...

Tankzone is good but they are REALLY expensive. Everything you get at Tankzone you can also get at RCCommand. Try them, they got the best deals anywhere.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:01 AM
chinito_03

i would suggest getting a metal hull... its a great upgreat and easy to make water tight.. hehehhehe,...
recently made my metal hull water tight..

how for online store... try
US
http://www.rccommand.com
http://www.rctankwars.com

the only store that i know from canada is mato..

daryl
Old 04-23-2009, 02:04 AM
ssrc30

118 bucks at RCCommand, ya can't go wrong for the added strength lol.... I wanna see someone bring out a metal upper hull for the Tiger, metal turret would be nice too someday. I think that would be the cats ass on that one for sure lol....

And yes, Mato is the only store in Canada with HL parts, unless someone knows something I don't. They don't sell much in the way of upgrades there though.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:58 PM
efcee

Thanks for info everyone...I'll check out both RCCommand and RCTankWars...the metal hull for sure will be added on my upgrade list...
Old 04-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Freddi79

Metal hull I think is a must for all RC tank enthusiast.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:56 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Ern & all...

TankZone is a retailer... but if you look about at the makers sites like Imperial Modellbau, Axel Modellau/SchumoKits, AFV Model, and others, you'll find all the parts TZ carries, but direct from the maker. Not to mention you won't get shafted by the higher shipping from the UK.

It PAYS to site-roam guys... Perhaps someone should put up a list of the MAKER'S sites so we don't have to put up with TankZone, and that ~originally~ decent place called BackYard Armor.

And PLEASE include all the almost-scale places like Build-a-Rama, 21c, etc. as well as good places to get Verlinden, Legends & Lore, and other 1/16 & 120mm figs (Like ResinGuru, MojoResin, and the eccentric Jimmy Flintstone (maker of Col. Hogan, Col. Klink, Sgt Schultz, Oddball and Sgt. Guffy!)

WhiteWolf
- fighting off yet another bout of pneumo!
Old 04-25-2009, 01:17 AM
Ern

Hey WhiteWolf... thanks for the info.. I didn't know you can order direct.

Hope you get better soon - I've been down all week with a Whooping Cough that is kicking my butt [that's why I've been on here so much - not enough energy & lung capacity to do much else]. The drugs are kicking in and doing their thing though and I'm coming around.

Also, I've seen the Oddball, but didn't know they made a Schultz. Might have to get me one of those! Nice change from the standard tank commanders [if he fits in the cupola!!]

Wow! I just ordered one!! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37230.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	1186746  
Old 04-25-2009, 08:50 AM
efcee

Ern that's a cool looking fig...which site did you order that from?
Old 04-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Ern

Jimmy Flintstone's... he has a Oddball character from Kelly's Heros too, but the photo doesn't load... http://www.jimmyflintstonestudios.co...=search_list&s[search]=120+mm&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0

What would be very cool is a Hessler character [see avatar pic] from Battle of the Bulge or the fat face German guy from Kelly's Heros
Old 04-25-2009, 08:58 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Guys:

I've got 'em all (Oddball, Guffy, & Hogan, no Klink and Schultz yet) just need to get out and assemble/prime 'em so they show better in the pictures. Got a whack of others too... planned for dioramas bnefore the throat went bust, and it all got boxed for the move last summer. ~still~ looking for the two Kirin Monte Cassino figs for my Pz.B 41 diorama, but they are rare as all h@ll.

The shame about Oddball is he's VERY tall... at 1/16 scale measurements he's over 7'. Donald Sutherland is tall, he ain't that tall. He's also posed outside the tank, in a trench-coat holding a few gold bars, doesn't have a tanker's helmet on. Imperial's US figures has one that looks a lot like him, and I thought Squadron carried one that looked like him too...

When you have time, brouse the online catalogues... sometimes you see a fig that can be adapted with a simple arm movement, frmoval or deletion of an accessory, or a simple altered paint job. I'll be using a U-boat commander as my Dumas Dauntless 'captain' because he looks the part, after I alter his cap badge. I may even use Hogan when the boat is in 'party-on, dude' mode (cause he's holding a film camera)

WhiteWolf