Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tracks coming off drive wheels!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tracks coming off drive wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Freddi79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracks coming off drive wheels!

So here I am early in the morning itching to test my new metal drive sprockets and idlers....but with what tracks you ask? Thanks to matomart that delayed my metal tracks I decided to put back the plastic ones for now for a test run. It took a hell of a time trying to put it back on but I managed to succeed! So here I am now in my back yard testing out this Tiger of mine, when I noticed when I'm doing a sharp turn or over ground that had lots of resistance, the plastic track would slightly come off the drive wheels?!!! Then I would just put them back into place.......>.<

Now here's my question, I have aligned the road wheels the best I can..well at least to my knowledge they are. When I get my metal tracks, will it eliminate this problem with the tracks coming off the drive wheels? Is there something I have re-adjust slightly?

-cheers
Old 04-25-2009, 10:15 AM
efcee

Default RE: Tracks coming off drive wheels!

How'd you put them back on? Maybe it's loos...I remember you mentioning that you cut it right off as you couldn't figure out on pushing the pins that links the tracks together...did you use your spare links?
Old 04-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: Freddi79

So here I am now in my back yard testing out this Tiger of mine, when I noticed when I'm doing a sharp turn or over ground that had lots of resistance, the plastic track would slightly come off the drive wheels?!!!
-cheers
You'll find that with almost all tanks. Just slow down, don't take sharp turns on those surfaces and look for a better rear idler/tensioner.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:22 AM
blitzkrieg65

Here are a few places to start!

Put the tank on a block run it, see if the drive sprocket is wobbly, is the drive sprocket itself on the axle correctly? Maybe you have flash in one or more of your teeth on the sprocket or on a section of track! Does the shaft to your drive sprocket have excessive slop from side to side,, can you pull the sprocket out a 1/4 inch, if you can that is too much, go inside and glue down the bushing or bend the frame in to lock down the drive axle play!
Also is your rear idler wheel excessively sloppy,, tighten that up! Then dive it on the ground and look closely to see if you can see what is happening it will perfrom different under load so this is the real test!

The Blitz
Old 04-25-2009, 11:50 AM
chinito_03

blitz,

what if the track is too loose... does is slightly loose track from the idler too?

thanks
daryl
Old 04-25-2009, 01:38 PM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: chinito_03

blitz,

what if the track is too loose... does is slightly loose track from the idler too?

thanks
daryl
Hey Daryl,

Yes that is why they have developed the rear idler tenstioner, so you hcan take out that odd amount of slop, like a half a link! If you take out a link its too tight if you add it back its too loose! The first rear idler tensioners where a little sloppy themself I believe that RCCommand has a new version that looks like a better design!

The Blitz
Old 04-25-2009, 01:47 PM
chinito_03

blitz,

yeah i got the metal hull.. it came with the idler..
so i guess am gonna remove 1 link...
1 q again.. is the tensioner adjustable? cuz i havent twick my tnsioner..
thanks

daryl