Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Matorro King Tiger- A Noob Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Matorro King Tiger- A Noob Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Chiller1064

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matorro King Tiger- A Noob Question

I'm new to RC and I am looking at purchasing the Matorro 1:16 King Tiger off eBay. Before I plunk down $109+$50 for shipping I have some questions:

a) Overall quality of the tank. Looks like the ones for sale are not the "pinkish" KTs, but the newer versions.
b) I'm just going to have fun with it- not do any serious, hard core battles. Is this a good entry point?
c) If not, what do you recommend?

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2009, 08:48 PM
torpedochief

Default RE: Matorro King Tiger- A Noob Question

I recommend that you get your tank from Phil at RC TANK WARS. If you get it off Ebay then you have no support if something does go wrong. With Phil youget the support and you kow as well as I do that you will do some upgrades. Phil has just what you need

http://www.rctankwars.com/Products.asp

Enjoy!!

Don
Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 PM
crxsidan85

rc tank wars is a great place to purchase it. i had a newer matorro king tiger and i liked it. smooth runner but i gave it up for a tamiya king tiger that i since lost interest in and sold. wish i hadnt sold it but oh well. youll be happy with it.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Ern

A second vote for buying it from Phil @ rctankwars. He seems to be a great guy and is very active on this forum. You can tell he is really into this hobby, takes pride in his work, and inspects everything before he send it out guaranteeing that the tank will work. And as Don said, he can make modifications should you want any upgrading. The price is almost identical, but you can't even put a price on the support you will get buying from him and the peace of mind that you tank will work. I recently asked about the KT and was told that the failure rate straight from the factory was about 25%!
Old 04-28-2009, 12:49 AM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hit the post button twice so I removed one of the duplicate's

BIGMIG
Old 04-28-2009, 12:51 AM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello chiller 1064,

If your new like you say at RC tanks,I would wait a day or two before you buy and let some of the guys who have the Mattoro KT have a chance to reply to your question.I do not own one and have never owned one.I only know what I have seen here on the forum about them.

If you want a suggestion ???? I will say this for what ever its worth to you.The HL Smoke and sound tanks (what ever model you choose ) is going to be very hard to beat for the money and just plain over-all performance.There are replacement parts for just about the whole tank,and if you shop around the parts are pretty cheap.
I'm sure some of the members who have first hand knowelege of the KT will be able to tell you how good or bad that particular tank is.

I can also tell you that Raidentec sells most all of the HL S&S Models now with Metal Tracks for $109.00 dollars and $119.00 dollars
depending on the model one chooses.I also think their free shipping code is still in effect for shipping anywhere in the lower 48 states
and the code is ( CJFREESHIPPING ) There is no other place I know of that offer's these tanks with Smoke and Sound
features plus the metal tracks for this kind of money and FREE shipping.If there was I would post it here.

I will also add that right now in the war room someone is unhappy because they are having a problem with a tank and getting the problem resolved that they had bought from Raidentec.I can also say that I have bought a lot of tanks and three boats from them with no problems.They were allmost sold out of all their tanks over the past hollidays X-MAS -but look like they have now finnaly been getting restocked (so they have been selling a heck of a lot of tanks to someone ).And also some of the last Items I bought from them I did use their free shipping coupon-and I would guess there are a lot of other guys here on the forum that have done the same

Just so you know I have no connection with them and when I bought there paid the same as everyone else.I'm into a different part of the hobby's now and no longer buying any Tanks.I still look over some of the tank threads and saw you ask and knowing that you are new decided to post this for you for what ever it's worth.It makes no difference to me where you buy or how much you pay,that is up to you.Good luck and have fun with what ever you end up getting.I know I had a lot of fun with them.

BIGMIG Larry
Old 04-28-2009, 07:34 AM
gorehound

Hi

I had one of the Matorro King Tigers but did not keep it long for a variety of reasons and am not sure I would recommend it as a starter tank for somebody getting into the hobby unless you are desparate your first tank is a KT. Detail wise it looks nice and is better than the Tamiya one in some cosmetic areas, noteably the turret hangers and zimmerit - if you want a zimmed tank that is. It does still need some work (metal grills being the main one) if you want it to look accurate but if you are happy with some small details missing then it is fine. Where the thing falls down is the mechanics and electronics. The gearboxes are not exactly strong and would not support metal tracks for long. To upgrade them takes a fair bit of work as you would need to put Heng Long metal boxes in and they are completely different. The stock tracks are not the strongest and break under hard turning on all but the smoothest surface and once you run out of replacement sections that come with the tank you will need to get metal replacements if you want longevity and then you hit the gearbox issue mentioned previously. The electrics in my one were not too great and the sound was shockingly bad although I beleive the newer ones are better. If, or should I say once, you fry the electrics getting replacements will be tricky and you would be best to go down the Heng Long RX14 or RX18 route. I also had problems with the alignment of the idler and drive wheels that meant it kept trying to skip the tracks but I do not know if that is a common problem. When I looked at the effort and cost of upgrading I felt it was not worth it so sold it on.

I may have been spoilt as I already have a couple of Tamiya King Tigers but most of my comparisons (basically everything except the detailing) were against the Heng Long as they are in the same budget. I would tend to agree with BigMig when he says that the Heng Long are a good starter tank. They all have their own little issues but are easy to fix on a budget and the upgrade options are limitless, not something that can be said for the Matorro KT. The choice of Heng Long tanks is also good with the later ones being exceptionally good like the Panzer III, STUG, PANZER IV and my favourite the Jagdpanther which is large and impressive like the King Tiger.

I am sure others will have different opinions but I though it best to state mine so you get all sides. The one recomendations I will make though is buy it from one of the reputable sellers that are mentioned previously whatever you buy as otherwise you could be stuck with a dead tank and no support. RCcommand and Mato are two I have used and both are excellent but others will be mentioned who are eaqully as good.

I hope this helps
Gorehound

Old 04-28-2009, 12:04 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

what is their web site
Old 04-28-2009, 12:22 PM
chinito_03

ORIGINAL: thomasjohnmurphy

what is their web site
rccommand.com
rctankwars.com
Old 04-28-2009, 01:21 PM
kennywsp
My Feedback: (3)

I would go for A different tank for your first one as others have said. Maybe a tauch panzer or a PZ3. The stug from RC command is very nice also. Do you want one that shoots or I.R?.
On the King tiger I bought it from rctankwars. I like it and have had no problem with it But the turret rotation and gun power falls short of the heng long tanks.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:22 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

the slow turrel it actually great. The gun can always be upgraded. Mine shoots well over 100 feet now.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:31 PM
kennywsp
My Feedback: (3)

Well the slow turning would be nice if it was the same speed in either direction. Gun used to shoot o.k, now when I shoot the BB drops out end of barrel
Old 04-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

The Matorro stuff is not all that great out of the box, altho all of my examples are 1st gen from over a year ago, and I'm lead to believe their current crop is a little better?
The Blitz upgrades/tweaks the stuff he sells to an acceptable level, but as a starter tank I'd recommend one of the later HL's like the Pz III or M41.
The older models are not without redemption, as they can take most of the later HL parts except the gearboxes.
(the Asiatam Tiger hull will fit the Tiger and SturmTiger, and the Blitz can modify the KT to accept them for a fee)

HTH
Mart
Old 05-01-2009, 07:52 PM
petersen43

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Matorro King Tiger which I actually liked alot. I sold it to buy a Tamiya King Tiger used off of ebay, but in retrospect I should have kept the Matorro. The only major thing that bugged the hell outta me was the ride height. The roadwheels sit about 3/8th of an inch too high which drops the KT height by 3/8". I had plans to drop the Matorro KT upper onto a Tamiya lower hull, but never got around to it before I sold it. Detail is as good or better in some respects than Tamiya KT in my opinion. The hull detail parts in fact look like they're from the same mold. Here's a side by side for reference, the Tamiya KT is the unpainted one. I would buy another one if it came my way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48248.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1190330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26289.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1190331  
Old 05-04-2009, 02:46 AM
militarytrophies

Hi Guys, I just bought the Matorr0 1:16 King Tiger and the smoke oil lines are leaking, do any of you know how to remove the top so that I can fix it?

Cheers Al Magarry