Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

My sherman Firefly from a kit 1601 build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

My sherman Firefly from a kit 1601 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:28 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
Default My sherman Firefly from a kit 1601 build

Im waiting for some parts for the KT so im going to get a start on the Sherman Firefly conversion from a old 1974 1601 kit a lot of difference from the latest Sherman Kit old style single motor gearbox no speaker no dmd units the road wheels run on a plastic pin no bearings there not even brass to correct this you have to buy new suspension parts some you can get some you cant would like to see a bigger bearing and replacement cap kit for this version of a Sherman
hint hint the bearings out for the latest Sherman wont work on this older kit but will still work as is .Upgrades will be Impact gearboxes with Graupner 400 motors will add Tamiya DMD units and speaker box will also add a HL turret ring system and Tamiya elevation mech with Tamiya recoil for the Firefly conversion if it wont all fit will change elevation to small servo setup and thanks to Bubbajoexx for making the 17 pounder barrel and recoil mount for me .

Thanks
Jimmy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86576.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1194691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53663.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1194692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88883.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1194693  
Old 05-09-2009, 09:48 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My sherman Firefly from a kit 1601 build

Hey Jimmy,

How fast do you want to finish this? I think the new Sherman will be out soon, you could put its VVSS bogies, tracks, idlers and sprocket on your Firefly and sell off the unused parts.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:23 AM
bowlman

Hi Swathy not in big hurry on finishing the Firefly I think I remember you posting that there would be a upgrade kit for changing to VVSS bogies it would be great to do it right I have another Sherman coming next week to do the M4A3E8 with T-23 turret the kit is newer not the latest but has a DMD unit in it so hope it has the updated suspension in it .

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 05-11-2009, 10:29 AM
bowlman

swathy is Mato going to make a upgrade to VVSS suspension kit that would work on the Tamiya Sherman id hate to ripe apart the Mato Sherman just for the VVSS parts .

Thanks
Jimmy