Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya 1:16 Tanks - Which one of these would you have if you could?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya 1:16 Tanks - Which one of these would you have if you could?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:36 AM
Pepperami

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya 1:16 Tanks - Which one of these would you have if you could?

Hello guys

Bored at work, looking to make a decision on which Tank to buy, im looking around at different ones, and these are the ones i've narrowed my choices to

Tamiya German RC Leopard 2 A6 Main Battle Tank around £750-£800 (can't see metal track hop up or other upgrades tho maybe its coz its so new?)

Tamiya 1/16 German Panther Type G Tank with Full Option

Tamiya 1/16 German Jagpanther Tank Destroyer Kit (does this come with full option it doesnt state it in the site description?)

Both of these are around the £550

My last choice, only because its slightly more, is the Tamiya 1/16 German Panzer J Tank Kit with Option Kit Priced around the £650-£700 mark

As i really am new to the Tank scene, if your able to give a little info as to WHY you would choose the tank it might be really helpful

Maybe you wouldn't choose ANY of them, and again, a reason would be great

Its nice to be able to get feedback from you guys and you ALL have more experience than I currently do!

ANY ADVICE OR HELP WOULD BE GRACIOUSLY RECIEVED!

Thanks!

Chris

Old 05-14-2009, 08:06 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya 1:16 Tanks - Which one of these would you have if you could?

What era do you like the best? I've heard the Leo does not need any upgrades but the metal arms from IMPACT is an improvement from the plastic. The Leo is a high performance kit with different gearboxes that you build and is set apart from the other conventional kits that Tamiya has released. I have not built this one yet.

I have or have built most of them. The Panther and Jagdpanther are big and there are a few upgrades that are needed. The Panzer IV is the newest on the market, and considerably smaller than the 2 other German WWII tanks as mentioned above. From all the reports from owners it builds nice right out of the box and needs no upgrades.

As far as my choice? Get them all.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:05 AM
pcomm1

I agree with Panther F and have also built all the Tamiya tanks with the exception of the Leo, though I watched a friend build the Leo and observed the pros and cons of that kit. My 2 cents and why:

Define your build goal, such as, contest level detailed PE shelf queen, indoor carpet runner, backyard play tank or high performance running, tough, durable, TBU (Tamiya Battle Unit) RC club tank and then budget accordingly.

1. Tamiya German RC Leopard 2 A6 Main Battle Tank: Skip this tank unless your looking for an expensive shelf queen or an indoor carpet runner. I observed that it would be a very challenging build for a first time try. Fundamentally the Leopard is a presentation model, the plastic hull does not seem to be a durable "outdoor runner" without many costly performance upgrades and fixes to it.

2. Tamiya 1/16 German Panther Type G Tank with Full Option: A simple, basic Tamiya kit build, but does require some aftermarket parts to be a good TBU battle tank or some detail parts to get it to look better on your shelf.

3. Tamiya 1/16 German Jagpanther Tank Destroyer Kit (does this come with full option it doesn't state it in the site description? THE ANSWER is YES): A simple, basic Tamiya kit build, but does require some aftermarket parts to be a good TBU battle tank (just like the Panther G).

4. My last choice, only because its slightly more, is the Tamiya 1/16 German Panzer J Tank Kit with Option Kit Priced around the £650-£700 mark: A FUN basic Tamiya kit build, DOES NOT require aftermarket parts to be a good TBU battle tank.

5. Tamiya RC Tank Modeling Wisdom usually suggests starting with the Sherman Tank. It goes together easily out of the box and without the assembly challenges found with the German Armor Tamiya kits and is a very good runner built stock. That means the chance of a successful and completed and good looking build is very good indeed for a first time try.

6. But this is my recommendation with a word of caution for a first time build: If the Allied Sherman tank is not a favorite modeling subject, and it isn't a favorite of mine, go for any of the German panzers including the Tiger IE. They will provide for good modeling entertainment. Unless your committed to your project, both in terms of overall cost and the time and focus required to finish the project, well it won't get done. The purchase of the kit is just the start. You'll need to budget for anything you do not already have like the rc radio set, batteries, charger, paint, glue, airbrush outfit, and any detail parts/performance/durability/improvement fix it parts too. So, write up an inclusive – complete "rc tank project build budget" before you buy anything and see if the numbers make sense for you!

There are a bunch of Tamiya savvy modelers here who will make the time to help you though your first build, if required. Welcome and enjoy your build

Old 05-14-2009, 11:08 AM
EugeniRUS

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy from Hong Kong thus you will save some money.
And start with sherman.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:21 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get a static Porsche King Tiger. Then install El Mod electronics with Heng Long turret and barrel mechanical gear.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:38 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's your Leo 2 upgrades: http://afv-model.com/4711shop/index.php
Old 05-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I own most of those. From your list, I'd select the Jagdpanther, as I think it just looks sexy. And it's reasonably priced. I've got one that I have battled in local clubs, and the lack of a turret is no handicap based on my battle experience. It is nice build, and requires no upgrades to be a reliable runner.

I would recommend you choose whether you want ball bearings on the road wheels before you build it. They make it roll easier, and that makes the batteries go farther. The tank comes with brass bushings on the roadwheels (which work) but for their slight added resistance (in contrast to bearings). My point is, just make the decision now, one way or the other. Because after you build it, you won't be able to add bearings, as the roadwheels get glued together permanently. All other elective options may be added later if you so choose.

Not on your list is the Tamiya Sherman, which is IMHO the best Tamiya tank for a person just starting. Many of my fellow club members run them stock, and they're still going after several years of 6 battles per year.

I WOULD NOT buy any tank or kit that needs additional parts (other than a radio and battery) or extra work to become Tamiya compatible for my first tank if I could afford a Tamiya. If you have the money budgeted (and you seem to), get a Tamiya. Modding tanks can be fun, but only if you have one tank that runs good already, or lack the funds to do anything else. In such a case, modding a tank such as a static kit, or Heng Long can be very enjoyable, and you can add parts over time, and thus spread out the cost. I've done it many times. You'll find when modding a tank, it's hard to have just one and the possibilities are endless.

I'd also recommend going over to Tank Fest on 27-28 June at the Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset [link]http://www.tankmuseum.org/ixbin/indexplus?record=ART1399[/link]. UK Tamiya tankers usually show up and do some battling there (they did last year). You can get a real feel for the hobby and see some of their tanks up close up, and maybe even drive a few. There's no substitute for a good club.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Pepperami

Hiya Guys,

Thanks for the replies!

I decided to go for the Tamiya 1/16 German Panzer J Tank Kit with Option Kit (56026)

Reasons really are that I like the look of it, its a good TGU right out the box, and it should be an interesting build

I do like the New A6 tank, but as its been pointed out to me, not a lot of people have them, mostly all the people doing the R/C Tanks prefer the WWII ones, so the Panzer J Seemed a good choice as I would like at some point to do some battles

I am not a novice to the Model scene I should have said, I'm 45yrs old in a few months, and I've done pretty much all there is to do on the R/C Scene from the Traxx T-Max to the Baja B5 SS and the Nitro and Li-Po Heli's

I've not touched too much on the artwork side of things, so I would need help with Q on that subject for sure!

I have a Spektrum DX7 Transmitter which I HOPE will do the job, I just need to get batteries and chargers, got the Reciever with the Transmitter AR7 I think?

Thanks for the input guys!!

Chris
Old 05-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

DX7 = way good!
Old 05-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Pepperami

DX7 is brand new, brought it for a Heli Project that never took off, so I kept it as I use it for Phoenix Flight Sim as well, dont do a Tank sim do they lol
Old 05-14-2009, 02:07 PM
pcomm1

ORIGINAL: Pepperami

Hiya Guys,

Thanks for the replies!

I decided to go for the Tamiya 1/16 German Panzer J Tank Kit with Option Kit (56026)

Reasons really are that I like the look of it, its a good TGU right out the box, and it should be an interesting build

You'll enjoy the Pz4 build and this is a peek at mine, almost finished and ready to battle.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98810.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	1198027  
Old 05-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Pepperami

Nice, VERY nice!
Old 05-14-2009, 04:31 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Very nice JOHN /pcomm1

Love that PZIV !!!!

C'mon down to TEXAS in sept!!!.... we can run our PZIV's against the opposition....

I would get a Panther or a Peshing or PZIV,,,, ahhh darn.. I also love the SHERMAN, TIGER1, KT....how about just get one
TAMIYA of each model... can't have just one!!!!!!!!!!!

-TOMAS
TX ARMOR
Old 05-14-2009, 06:17 PM
phasor

While I agree with most replies, I have to say that the Tamiya Leopard 2A6 is a must-have for anyone deep into RC Tanking. It is miles ahead than other Tamiya tanks in terms of design and features (best-sounding tank, fiber optic cabling for lighting, 7 lighting combinations, a reliable stock track that does not require upgrade, gun stabilizing option, etc.) .Also, it is the only Tamiya tank that features a main gun muzzle end with body color but glows red-orange when gun fires. I dare say all this as I currently have 12 Tamiya tanks. NO, It is not a shelf queen. I have two of these and both have been reliable runners at park grounds with steep slopes and heavy grass. Check out you-tube videos for some leopards and the kind of abuse some owners have subjected them.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:01 PM
SoulAssassin

My choice would be the Jagdpanther.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:02 PM
pcomm1

Thank you Tomas and Pepperami.

Tomas, the incredible battlefield photos of your Pz4, that you posted last year, plus the Saumur Museum panzer were my build inspirations. I would clearly enjoy running my Pz4 at your Texas field, one day, paired with your Pz4 against all that opposition, as long as my yankee tail has a safe passage get in and out pass.

And little Mike will mail out Monday!

And phasor, glad to hear your Leo can take it, but still very rare to find one around running outdoors and getting bashed and dirty. I would still hazard to guess that most Tamiya Leopards grace a modeler's display case and never see the sun or dirt. That does not necessarily mean they are not superior kits. They are beautiful kits, they are just not really meant to be hard used and dirt abused weekend play tanks. The Leo kit also came to exist as a corporate toy for the 1 to 1 scale Leo's builder besides a kit to market to the consumer. A batch of Leos was released RTR, crated in a nice wood box and sold out at $2500.00 and up per unit in Germany (about 5 years ago)!

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51761.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1198152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68534.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1198153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55297.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1198154  
Old 05-14-2009, 07:38 PM
thebronze

I'd go with a Tiger 1...Pretty damm good outta the box...And more "upgrades" than You could shake a stick at
Old 05-14-2009, 07:58 PM
gorehound

HI

Like some of the other members I have built all the tanks bar the new PAnzer IV and Jagdpanther and they all have their good and bad points. I recently got the LEo and it performs very well out doors so far but does spend time on the shelf after a clean. It is superb fun and when fitted with the stabilization unit looks cool when going over rough terain. My own personal favourite is the King TIger but that is because I like the actual tank.

One point I will make is about buying from HK. Recently most parcels from that part of the world coming into UK have been hit by customs and mean big duty payments. The lady who runs the collection office at my local Parcel Force told me that previously they were never hit but now she has queues of folks handing over large sums of dosh to get their parcels out of ransom (including myself) so I would factor this into a price. There are a couple of sellers on evilbay selling the Jagdpanther and Panther for the same price as HK and with free P&P so work out a lot cheaper for UK buyers. You could drop them a question to see what else they have on offer?

cheers
Old 05-14-2009, 10:46 PM
HG1980
Banned

go for the PZIV