Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Even the King Tiger can have teethHere is a link to a video of my Matorro King Tiger and its upgrade

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Even the King Tiger can have teethHere is a link to a video of my Matorro King Tiger and its upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:23 AM
thomasjohnmurphy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Even the King Tiger can have teethHere is a link to a video of my Matorro King Tiger and its upgrade

Here is a link to a video of my Matorro King Tiger and its upgraded airsoft cannon. There have been quesitons on whether to go with IR or Airsoft. The stock airsoft units are quite weak and have convinced people that IR is the way to go. If they were to get themselves a more powerful airsoft cannon they would most likely reconsider that decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46y2G-OElfc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56909.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1202919  
Old 05-21-2009, 07:47 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Even the King Tiger can have teethHere is a link to a video of my Matorro King Tiger and its upgrade

LOOKINGGOODASALWAYS!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Even the King Tiger can have teethHere is a link to a video of my Matorro King Tiger and its upgrade

I can't watch th video cuz I'm at work and they filter that type of stuff out. I'm sure it's cool based on your previous posts. I hope thy keep selling AS models. I think everyone knows where I stand on guns in tanks though. If you drive your tank alone IR does nothing for you and is a useless function. If the quality was better I bet they would have a much better following.
Perry
Old 05-21-2009, 02:11 PM
michelekingtiger

i agree with Perry S. here! i dont see the big fasination with IR? its boring, if a tank comes with a gun then use it not replace it with a boring laser, but i do understand that the guns on HL tanks arent the most reliable but still as thomasjohnmurphy as shown here you can easily get round them. i think everyone should throw IR away grab a load of paintball or metal pellets and fire away having a REAL tank battle for once
Old 05-21-2009, 03:29 PM
pattonrocked45

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you fellows!
its story time, when I was about 8 or 9 years old for my birthday I got an authentic laser tag kit. It had one lousy gun. the novelty wore off after the third laser shot. I'd put the star on my sister and make her run around, that got boring too. I put it on the dog...boring, eventually i found 3 more kids that had the one gun kit. we got together and came to the conclusion, you guessed it....boring!
I seen a couple IR matches and even all these years later...boring. Tjm, Perry, and MKT I'd party with you guys. Someone else brought up insurance as to why no one airsofts in public or whatever. since when did rc tanking become an espn type spectator sport? I have invented these cool personel protectors (see the picture below.)
Back tomy story. The followingChristmas I was a Ralphie and got a crosman 760 pumpmaster. I loved that bbgun and spent all of winter, spring and summer shooting it. I still have thatgun and stilllove it as much as theday I got it.Inmy opinion IR sucks andmarching music is more for spectators too.

Name:	Ig11747.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1203160  
Old 05-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: michelekingtiger

i agree with Perry S. here! i dont see the big fasination with IR? its boring, if a tank comes with a gun then use it not replace it with a boring laser, but i do understand that the guns on HL tanks arent the most reliable but still as thomasjohnmurphy as shown here you can easily get round them. i think everyone should throw IR away grab a load of paintball or metal pellets and fire away having a REAL tank battle for once
michelekingtiger, seeing IR isn't enough. Once you join a group of tankers like yourself and form sides to engage in IRbattle your opinion will change. Two sides of a coin my friend.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:47 PM
pattonrocked45

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first off Panther no one can see IR!!! also why do IR tanks have elevation it seems rather pointless when there are fan shots.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: pattonrocked45

first off Panther no one can see IR!!! also why do IR tanks have elevation it seems rather pointless when there are fan shots.
DUH ... no kidding you can't see it. It was in reference to michelekingtiger commentnot seeing the fascination in IR. You have to participate in it firstand not be so judgmental. But everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:21 PM
michelekingtiger

right lets not turn this into a heated discussion lol, panther f im not saying IR is crap or anything, and most likely your right cos i aint tried it yet so i dont really know about it first hand, am really just going on what i hear bout it in these forums, does seem ex*****e though? like $100 for like a tag laser system?
Old 05-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: michelekingtiger

right lets not turn this into a heated discussion lol, panther f im not saying IR is crap or anything, and most likely your right cos i aint tried it yet so i dont really know about it first hand, am really just going on what i hear bout it in these forums, does seem ex*****e though? like $100 for like a tag laser system?
Oh man, what's wrong with a little heated discussion once in a while? It's not like this board hasn't seen them before. All I was saying isthat IR is fun once you try it, but it's not for everyone for sure. Once the initial cost is made there's no maintenance or running out of ammo. Don't have to worry about the environment or ruining someones tank. It's just clean fun, kinda like a video game but without the screen.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:09 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

I'll put my 2 cents in this. In respect to airsoft, I just like to have an airsoft cannon as I think it is neat to shoot things , like my son's Tonka truck Although to really enjoy you need other tanks. I met up one night with 2 other tankers who also had upgraded airsoft guns. We got the paintballs out and went to town on each other for over an hours. After all was said and done my stomach was sore from laughing too hard, and...... we left a hell of a mess (on the tanks and on the walls of my friend's garage). I agree, airsoft battles is one sure way of destroying a perfectly good tank. Luckily I had a beater Panther which (some may call is cheating) had a laser pointer attached to the barrel which made it a lot easier to hit my opponents. The downside of airsoft is the number of breakdowns (airsoft guns are not reliable and when paintballs are used all it takes is one breaking in the chamber or barrel to ruin the gun. I'm lucky, as I have lots of spares as replacements. I tried IR once with another tanker and it was ok. It was sunny out so the distance to register a hit was minimal. So why not have one tank of each (airsoft and IR) Heck they are cheap enough.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Ern

Well said TJM! While mine are both airsoft, have one of each and go for whatever mood you're in. I wouldn't mind exploring the club scene one day if one pops up around me. I have four of the small VSTank*R models and they are a blast for table top battling [for 5-10 minutes and the batteries die]
Old 05-22-2009, 06:01 AM
thomasjohnmurphy

Here's another video of my upgraded Matorro King Tiger aisrsoft gun. I try to show you what the mods look like (I have 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4zFSuU4NXw

I apologize for my messy work station (lol)

Old 05-22-2009, 07:50 AM
shenlonco

Yea i bet if all the HL tanks came with a 200 to 250 FPS air gun that was made better like a maruiand did not break down all the time more than half these IR guy's would stick with the airsoft guns!!
Old 05-22-2009, 08:03 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a pretty cool mod. Ilike the way you've kept some inner barrel and made it easy to disemble. Can you remove the madbull inner barrel if you have to clean it when a paintball breaks?

Are you making similar segmented gun tubes for the other tanks, like the Bulldog, Tiger, Panther and PzIV F2?
Old 05-22-2009, 09:46 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

I've done the same thing for my Tigers (extended barrel) The Panther, Bulldog Panzer IV F2 are all short enough you don't need to have them separate to upgrade. I custom make the Panzer IV F1 barrels and have a friend make my Panzer III barrels. I Think the new KV1 will be an easy custom barrel.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:18 AM
philipat

I got one of your upgrades and put it into my Bulldog and the BB seemed to stray a bit. Every fourth or fifth shot would hit the inside of the muzzle brake and ricochet to the side or just not shoot straight. They hit hard enough to split the seam in the muzzle brake. I think each of the longer gun tubes would benefit from have a liner that ran the length of the gun tube.

Is the setup that you're using easy to clean if a paintball breaks? Or would you have to replace the airsoft gun?
Old 05-23-2009, 06:52 AM
thomasjohnmurphy

I now test my guns for not just power but accuracy. Your gun must be exerting pressure on one side of the bb when its in the chamber causing the bb to fly off in that direction. When I find that happening I now remove the barrel and rubber seal and turn then away from the direction of the spin. Ideally you want to have that spin going upward (that is the hop up allowing the bb to fly straight counter acting gravity) As well, for tanks that have a muzzle break I reinforce the inside of the muzzle break with milliput because with the longer barrels, even with a straight shooting gun there is a chance that a bb will be misdirected and hit it and as you have experienced it can damage it. The inner brass sleeve was to reduce friction when a bb hits it as well allow to it to be fitted to the other half of the outer barrel with another brass insert. It just works better than not having a brass insert.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:50 AM
shenlonco

ORIGINAL: philipat

I got one of your upgrades and put it into my Bulldog and the BB seemed to stray a bit. Every fourth or fifth shot would hit the inside of the muzzle brake and ricochet to the side or just not shoot straight. They hit hard enough to split the seam in the muzzle brake. I think each of the longer gun tubes would benefit from have a liner that ran the length of the gun tube.

Is the setup that you're using easy to clean if a paintball breaks? Or would you have to replace the airsoft gun?
What brand BB's you using I find that the larger ones cause the guns to shoot not as straight due to over hopping...Let me know what you are using for BB's and i can let you know of a brand that's a little smaller....or it could be your quality of the bbs causing bad shooting also.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:52 AM
thomasjohnmurphy

Matrix or elite bbs (0.20g bb) In respect to hop-up, sometimes the modified guns have it sometimes they don't. I even at times create my own hop-up using my a small dab of silicone. Its a hit and miss but I've got it down pretty good now, I find with smaller bbs you give up a lot of power. The ones I use are about 5.98mm +/- .01mm high gloss
Old 05-23-2009, 09:55 AM
shenlonco

ORIGINAL: thomasjohnmurphy

Matrix or elite bbs (0.20g bb) In respect to hop-up, sometimes the modified guns have it sometimes they don't. I even at times create my own hop-up using my a small dab of silicone. Its a hit and miss but I've got it down pretty good now, I find with smaller bbs you give up a lot of power. The ones I use are about 5.98mm +/- .01mm high gloss
Hi Thomas the best way to make a hop up is to drill a hole in the barrel and some how use a little round rubber peice that is angled like this entering the barrel and fits in the hole tight then you can adjust it and then CA glue it in place some airsoft guns have them like this hope this hhelps.

Name:	Gd93990.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1204081  
Old 05-23-2009, 10:22 AM
thomasjohnmurphy

I'll try that. looks like it should work.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:36 AM
shenlonco

I'll try that. looks like it should work.
Cool you just got to adjust how deep down in the hile the hop up should be to put the right up spin on the BB's when they fly past it...It should be near the end of the barrel where the bbs first fly into it.

It should work airsoft guns use this type of hop up.

Good luck
Old 05-24-2009, 06:17 AM
philipat

I now test my guns for not just power but accuracy. Your gun must be exerting pressure on one side of the bb when its in the chamber causing the bb to fly off in that direction. When I find that happening I now remove the barrel and rubber seal and turn then away from the direction of the spin. Ideally you want to have that spin going upward (that is the hop up allowing the bb to fly straight counter acting gravity) As well, for tanks that have a muzzle break I reinforce the inside of the muzzle break with milliput because with the longer barrels, even with a straight shooting gun there is a chance that a bb will be misdirected and hit it and as you have experienced it can damage it. The inner brass sleeve was to reduce friction when a bb hits it as well allow to it to be fitted to the other half of the outer barrel with another brass insert. It just works better than not having a brass insert.
Not sure what it was. Might have been exerting pressure on one side. I just got the gun and inner barrel from you and had to re-bore the plastic gun tube to make it fit. Maybe the re-boring wasn't exactly straight. Good idea with the milliput. The reduced friction is a good reason to do the inner brass sleeve on all of the longer gun tubes.

When you do the upgraded guns for people now, do you get their turret or outer plastic sleeve from them to work the whole thing as a system?

Old 05-24-2009, 06:29 AM
thomasjohnmurphy

I just do the gun and inner barrel. the brass sleeve is something new I've tried (especially with the King Tiger) I also did it with my Jagdtiger, I will be doing the same thing with the Jagdpanther when I finally get one. I did use a brass sleeve for the outer barrel of a Pershing. It worked great. The inner barrel would slide right in. i will probably to the same thing for my Bulldog when I get around to it.