Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
 PzKpfw IV Ausf D (Back Dated) >

PzKpfw IV Ausf D (Back Dated)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

PzKpfw IV Ausf D (Back Dated)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PzKpfw IV Ausf D (Back Dated)

Craig, Really glad to read that things are looking better for your mom and what Panther F said is all so true.

YHR, your faith will bring you though. For the last 3 years we have been helping my wife's youngest sister with her fight against fatal breast cancer, and to make it all but impossible, this time last year her husband was diagnosed with the same type of brain tumor that just killed Senator Ted Kennedy. So, as time passes the worst possible outcome, as in no hope, moves closer for that married couple. They are both in their early 40's with a cool little boy to care for and raise. And my wife's parents are in their late 80's and that presents another set of special health care issues and requires one to help. And of course it doesn't end there, other family members have their less serious, but very important to them issues, that they need help with, but hey you deal with stuff as it happens and keep the faith.

And the back story to all this is that after the death of a relative, in my bachelor, South Bay beach life style days and in my early 30's, I discovered I had inherited, so to speak, a 10 year old little boy. We made it OK, he has graduated college and now has a neat wife and 2 pretty little girls. That was over 25 years ago when I got that little gift. So, you never know what life has in store for one. Now days I work on my fun tanks late at night and swim to stay relative sane and fit enough for work and enjoy it all, no matter what it turns out to be. Take care and as they used to say in the SAR Unit I worked in, one hand for the helicopter and one hand for yourself. You got to survive to be able to lend a helping hand.

John
Old 09-03-2009, 03:48 AM

Armchairgeneral,
Thanks I'm glad you are enjoying this thread, or finding it informative and useful.

As far as attaching things I generally use a variety of adhesives depending the materials being attached and how strong I need a particular joint to be. I always make that assessment based on the size (weight) of the part, the material it is made from, the size of the attachment point, and how much abuse it will take or the likelihood of it being knocked off.

For most plastic to plastic joints I choose to use solvent (Tenax7 or even straight MEK [Methyl Ethyl Keytone]) it's water thin so you can use an applicator bottle or apply it with a brush. It dries very quickly, completely clear, and gives an amazingly strong joint in tensil, tear, and sheer strength

I will use superglue (CA) as well, but I generally use that to reinforce plastic parts that have already been joined using solvent. I use a "gap filling" viscosity, and use that to build up a generous fillet (usually on the underside of the part) to make the joint stronger. CA is also ideal for joining dissimiliar materials (like photo-etch to plastic). It's great in tensil and tear strength, but because it is so hard (brittle) when it's dry is has a very very low sheer strength.

I do occasionally use two-part epoxy (5 minute) in some metal to metal applications

I will also use rubber cement, or plain old water soluble Elmer's brand white glue on parts I might want to easily remove at a later time. Say for example the center cap covering the screw on a drive sprocket. I will glue that on using rubber cement. It's strong enough to hold it in place during normal operation of the tank, but still temporary enough I can easily remove it without damaging the part should I ever need to get at that screw to remove the sprocket.

Hope that helps!

Squid
Old 09-03-2009, 03:57 AM

YHR (Dan) - pcomm1 (John)
Gentlemen thank you for the kind words, and support, and thank you also for sharing a little of your own situations, it does help to realize that others have experienced similar things.

Never imagined this would be as tough as it has been. My dad passed away at the end of 2007, but he went very quickly one week and one day from diagnosis to when he passed. There was never any question that it was terminal, just a matter of how quickly it would take him. We all had the chance to make peace with it and say our goodbyes.

But with my mom it has been a lot more taxing because it's been a rollercoaster of emotions. They would tell her she was done with surgery and be going home in two days, then BAM! Sorry no you now have to go back into surgery, or we're really concerned about this, we're not sure she's gonna make it. There was one three week period, that I was at the hospital 12-15 hours a day.

I'm just glad she is doing better, and all is moving in the right direction. She is going to be leaving me to move in with my sister in a week or two, that will give me a chance to get back to some resemblance of normalcy. And man I need it!

Thanks again!

Squid (Craig)
Old 09-04-2009, 05:13 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll look forward to picking up on this story when you are ready. Take care.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:24 PM

Hey Dan thanks!
Hopefully won't be too long.

I've already jumped back onto the Sherman build (Accurized M4A3 75mm W), and I have some commission painting and weathering projects on the bench as well. But I too am definitely looking forward to finishing this one up.

Then I can move onto my Stug III (early) backdate project which should prove to be even more extensive and challenging!

Kindest regards,

Craig
Old 11-04-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How's the progress on this build?

BTW...where do you get your rare earth magnets? And can you get small steel disks from the same place or do you find some scrap steel and cut them?
Old 11-04-2009, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my rare earth magnets off the world famous auction site. Vendors offer many different sizes and quantities.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:07 AM

Philipat,
Sorry for the short delay in responding. The project is still static at the moment as my Accurized Sherman and several paying commission projects as well as some small scale stuff has taken priority over the Panzer. I knew going in that it would be a lengthy project simply because it is my favorite tank and I wanted to do it "right".

I bought a bunch of different size magnets from a tool vendor at RC Expo in California last year, but as Swathdiver mentioned the rare earth magnets are not difficult to find either online or in most local markets. I think they would be readily available at most big box home improvements centers (You know the big 2 here in the states), hobby and craft stores (think Michael's) electronics stores like Radio Shack, and even Wal-Mart.

As far as finding or cutting out a corresponding steel disk. My personal preference is to use the head of a nail, it's already a disk shape, and is thin enough that it doesn't take much grinding to sink it into and flush with the surface of the plastic. But as Swathdiver also mentioned the magnets come in different shapes and sizes. I chose the disks because that's what the vendor had plus there were no corners to deal with. Meaning things with square corners are usually more easily snagged or pulled free, not an issues with the disk shape.

Squid

Old 11-05-2009, 06:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks...nail heads. Didn't even think of that one! Great idea.