Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New to RC tanks

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Flyn Chris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC tanks

After getting intrigued with RC tanks especially the 1/16 scale recently, I wanted something already built as I no longer have the patience for kit building/molding, too many other distractions in my life now. So I started to read some post here and ordered a HL Panther from RC Command after seeing many recommendations for them here. I wanted a Tiger 1 or a T-34/85 but they were both out of stock so the Panther was my third choice. I live in the in northern WI and I wanted something with wide treads for the snow, being an avid WW II buff, especially the eastern front, I knew the importance of low ground pressure with regards to wider tracks and the snow.

Many, many, many moons ago, my brother and I built a several hundred 1/72 WWII kits, including assorted vehicles (tanks, half tracks, armored cars, trucks, etc.), artillery pieces and squads of men, we made huge scenery boards (early on with hexes printed on them, later we went to tape measures and 3D terrain) and spent many hours playing Panzer Leader with the models instead of the tokens.

But I digress, as I already have a couple of RC Helis with different types of batteries, I was looking at something like these for quick/balance charging of the different battery packs. http://tinyurl.com/n9dr36

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated about this or other chargers as well as about the tank.

Thank you, Chris
Old 07-12-2009, 09:09 PM
angusx

Default RE: New to RC tanks

As it happens, my first (and second and third RC tank) was an HL Panther (from Raidentech) about a year and a half ago. I finally got one that worked for more than a picosecond and it had a very easy life in an apartment building until very recently. In fact, only yesterday I took it to a friend's place upstate, where I currently am, and it did extremely well cross country (with a 3800 NIMH battery) roaring up 45 degree inclines and fearlessly pulverizing dandelions and terrifying ticks.

It performed much better and is an excellent replacement for my by now totally shredded Tiger I (with a standard battery) which was my previous rural RC vehicle.

There are many who would complain (and rightly so) about the accuracy of rendition of the Panther, widely known as the Pantiger or Piger. Nevertheless, for me at least it's been surprisingly capable and a lot of fun (particularly after I glued a drive sprocket back on after it it fell off within seconds of it first hitting the grass. Some maintenance is required).
Old 07-13-2009, 07:03 AM
starskey

Hi get yourself a HL Tiger I, Panzer III or IV there are all kinds of parts, bit and bobs, and upgrades you can get from model shops and the internet.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:23 PM
SNOWTANK

The Panther or "Pantiger" affectionally called due to the inaccurracies of the Tank, was my first Tank and still remains my most reliable tank with no upgrades whatsoever. My buddy jokingly says that you can't kill the Tank. It certaintly has remained reliable through a lot of abuse. Great starter Tank to learn from and get familiar with the operation and handling. It handles great btw. Think of it as your first car.

RC Command has a picture of the new Panther in thier photo gallery of Panther. This is an accurate version adn should be out Ihope in 2009 sometime.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:42 PM
SNOWTANK

The Panther or "Pantiger" affectionally called due to the inaccurracies of the Tank, was my first Tank and still remains my most reliable tank with no upgrades whatsoever. My buddy jokingly says that you can't kill the Tank. It certaintly has remained reliable through a lot of abuse. Great starter Tank to learn from and get familiar with the operation and handling. It handles great btw. Think of it as your first car.

RC Command has a picture of the new Panther in thier photo gallery of Panther. This is an accurate version adn should be out Ihope in 2009 sometime.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Flyn Chris

I had long talk with Bill today from RC Command and he went overthing, anyway he had a camo Tiger 1 available so I ordered that one. I'm sure am looking forward to getting it now, pretty exicted.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:42 PM
mrunktonkey

Hey Chris,

Congrats on the Panther purchase!I can't seethe charger URL you put up but here is one that I'm considering for myself. I believe the HL 1/16 tanks use Tamiya connectors. http://www.all-battery.com/TenergySm...rger01014.aspx

FWIW, I'm kinda where you are and think I'm going to buy a Panther also. My problem is I can't figure out which way to go.. I can purchase a 1/16 Panther with all audio and smoke functionality + metal wheels but plastic tracks and gears for $87 delivered from RaidenTech. (RaidenTech is sold out of most 1/16 HLtanks with metal gear and tracks.) The other option is to order from RC Command. Theirs is $184 delivered, but has metal gears, tracks and a 2000 MAH battery.

What I'm thinking is that if / whenI wear out the plastic gears and tracks I can replace them with the metalsystem pretty easily for the price difference. Or do the plastic tracksand gears wear out so quickly, it isn't worth the time to fool with them in the first place? Any thoughts much appreciated. Thank you in advance and good luck with your Panther!
Old 07-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Flyn Chris

Hi Bob, from what I've read here is the plastic tracks work well and it's not to much a matter of wearing out. The price I was going to pay for the Panther from RC Command was $105 shipped with the metal gear box and 2000mah NiMh battery. Bill told that the battery will last up to 45min. They will be coming out with a new 3:1 reduction all steel gear set later on so the tanks will operate at more realistic speeds. I feel pretty comfortable with dealing with Bill and his prices are in line with most other dealers. I know if I have any questions or problems, he will more then happy to help out.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Or do the plastic tracks and gears wear out so quickly

They are pretty crappy imho. also if your are just charging nimh then I would go with this, I use this one and it its pretty nice http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LG2673&P=1

Wade
Old 07-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Flyn Chris

Hi Wade, I found a used one like that on eBay, I've got bid on it now and we'll see.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:15 AM
TexasSP

If you already use lipo batteries and need a good charger I highly recommend going with a hyperion. By far they are the best chargers I have ever used and the newer models have balancers built in for lipo. They will also charge nimh, nicad, and life batteries. Here is a link with several different hyperion models.

http://www.rc-monster.com/chargers.php

Well worth the money and Mike at rc-monster is a great guy to deal with. One of the best in the RC world to tell the truth.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:01 AM
mrunktonkey

Hey Chris,
Well, I ordered my Panther from RC Command yesterday afternoon! I had an email exchange w/Bill and based on his recommendations for reliability, decided the best option for me was to get the upgrade version with the metal gear boxes, wheels and tracks + installation. I also purchased an extra 2000 mah battery for $22.This is a b’day present to me and I’m hoping to have it by the 23rd. Woohoo!
Hey Wade,
Does that charger you recommended have the correct plug for these tank batteries? Thank you!
Old 07-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Flyn Chris

Great news Bob, good for you! We'll have to compare notes on what we think of these tanks and what upgrades we should do, although it looks like you've a good start already

Hi Wade, those like some nice chargers.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:47 PM
mrunktonkey

Thanks Chris!  I didn't think I'd have the time to install those drivetrain upgrades later, so for me it was best to have them done upfront. I'll probably do some minor finish upgrades first, like some light weathering maybe. How about you? I've been reading up on those techniques posted here the other day. I haven't used my Paasche airbrush in about a decade so I'm a little rusty. An upgrade to the sound system might be cool or perhaps the main gun. OTOH, that's just speculation as the stock systems may work just fine they way they are, who knows? 

Old 07-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Flyn Chris

Yea talk about rusty, I haven't done any modeling in over 25 years, the closest to that would be the Z-scale setup about 8 years ago. I was working on till life/work got in the way so never got to the detailing. I got it up and running but not it sits in basement gathering dust, I keep trying to get one of sons to take it over, I guess now it'll be up to one of the grandkids.

Like you, I’ll probably want to do some weathering and maybe some minor detailing. I'm gonna have to get a Hobby store and re-acquire the necessary items. Do you have any recommendations on painting set-ups?
Old 07-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey Wade,

Does that charger you recommended have the correct plug for these tank batteries? Thank you

You know what? I don't recall lol, Not sure if it came with any connectors or not, but you can get an adapter at a local hobby shop

Wade
Old 07-16-2009, 07:31 AM
mrunktonkey

Chris, if you're looking for an airbrush, this is the one I have http://www.airbrushoutlet.com/hset.html.. it looks like it hasn’t changed in the 15 odd years since I bought mine. This is a single action model, easy to use and very easy to clean. You can always use a tank with a regulator to drive it if you don’t have a compressor. Remember that I’m about ten years or so out of date, I’m sure other options are available that I’m totally unaware of.HTH.

I think I'll probably wait untilmy Panther arrives, grab the extra battery and find a smart charger locally. We'vegot some nice hobby shopsin this area and I'd prefer tosupport them anyhow. Would be nice if some of them carried 1/16 tanks, but none dothat I knowof. .. bummer that.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Flyn Chris

Hey Bob, I stopped by a local Hobby store (Hobbytown) and talked with the owner, he had several airbrushed instock, he showed me the one he uses and highly recommended was an Aztek http://www.testors.com/product/13711...n_Airbrush_Set he had this one on sale for $100, so I picked it up, some paint, dulcoat and assotered other bits. I have a small quiet compressior with a one gallon tank with regulator already so I'm good go. I'm going to have to learn how to do this stuff all over again.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:43 AM
mrunktonkey

Chris, good score. Azteks are very nice brushes. You’re lucky having a quiet running compressor, wish I could say that. I’m going to have to begin a little research to learn more about the paint schemes used on the Panther. You must be getting pretty excited, I’m guessing your Tiger might be arriving today?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:01 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Panther offers a lot of modeling challenges. When you get to the point where you want to try some of them, let the board know, we can help with that