Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Transition 'bridge' for tanks.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Transition 'bridge' for tanks.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:21 AM
mrunktonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transition 'bridge' for tanks.

Hey all,

I need a convenient way to get my Panther from manuvers in the front yard via the driveway to my deck. Lifting it from the deck to the driveway was becoming a PITA, so I came up with this bridge. It's sort of a cross between a bridge and a ramp and is similar to common deck bridges used everywhere by the railroads. I couldn't get the deck as low and wide as I wanted it because of the intended location so this will have to do. The 'girders' are machined from poplar and rest is 3/16" luan ply. It's just over 4' long and about 11 1/2" wide. Thanks for peekin'.

Cheers, BOb

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28110.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1269431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21573.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1269432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95400.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1269433  
Old 09-06-2009, 09:07 AM
torpedochief

Default RE: Transition 'bridge' for tanks.

Now that is a good idea!

Thanks

Don
Old 09-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Flyn Chris

Great idea Bob!
Old 09-06-2009, 11:42 AM
blitzkrieg65

Very Cool Bob, thanks for sharing that will work well for a battle field too,, you can get stuck if you don't drive it right!

The Blitz
Old 09-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Wight

Brilliant!
Looks very well built.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:05 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks awesome! You wouldn't happened to have put together a set of drawings with any dimensions for plans would you? It could be widened to be a universal bridge that fits all of the tanks.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:36 AM
mrunktonkey

ORIGINAL: philipat

Looks awesome! You wouldn't happened to have put together a set of drawings with any dimensions for plans would you? It could be widened to be a universal bridge that fits all of the tanks.
Thank you for the kind words everyone. I didn't make plans, but will be happy to take some additional pics and toss them up if you'd like along with the dimensions Iused. The dimesnions can be easily altered to fit any 1:16 or 1:24 tank out there. The construction is extremely easy and straight forward. Ihave a cabinet shop, so I was able to dimension the wood as I chose, but workable pieces close enough can be purchased in the molding dept. in any HD or Lowes. A hand saw, wood glue, clamps and some rattle can paint is about all else you'll need.

Cheers, Bob

Old 09-07-2009, 09:46 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More pics and dimensions would be great! thanks.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:47 AM
Ern

[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 09-09-2009, 08:17 AM
mrunktonkey

Here are some additional photos and dimensions that can be used to build your own transition ramp or bridge. Pic #1 shows the details from one end. This bridge is built from the inside out. I’m going to give the inside dimensions as they are the most relevant. The thickness of the stock used will determine what the outside dimensions become. I think the subsequent photos make it fairly clear where adjustments will need to be made to accommodate the outside dimensions. If not, I'll try to help.
The length is 50". The inside width is 9 ½”, allowing ¼” on each side of the Panther’s tracks. The tread or decks are 2” wide. The decks are 1/8” luan plywood nailed to 1/2 “ X 1 ½” poplar sides forming an ‘L’. The cross ‘beams’ are 5/8”X ¾” poplar milled to a ‘T’ shape and nailed on 5” centers to the treads… see pic #2. The pads on each end are ¼” poplar milled on the underside at the appropriate approach angle, using a rasp. Make your two ‘L’s first forming the basic structure then glue & nail the beams to it. A brad gun is your friend here, but small screws will work fine also, if you don’t have a gun or don’t want to use brads.
After you’ve got the main structure complete, you can add the side supports. These are more 1/8” luan 2 ¾” wide with smaller vertical beams attached on 4” centers roughly as shown in pic 3. The beams can be either machined from a single piece as shown in pic #4 or made from two pieces glued up. You can also use just a single flat piece 1/8” X ½” glued a little closer together to simulate beam reinforcement. The supports are glued to the sides and a cap piece installed across both.

And there you have it. A coat of leftover house paint will form a good base for whatever topcoat you’d like to apply.

Cheers, Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96249.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1271640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36911.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1271641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43172.jpg
Views:	13