Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Hot Dog! New HL Tiger I with new accessories!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Hot Dog! New HL Tiger I with new accessories!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 03:33 PM
NWarty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Dog! New HL Tiger I with new accessories!

Hey guys!
Forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere.

My HL Tiger I from rccommand.com arrived today at lunchtime. Well, opening the cardboard, I said to myself, "This looks like a smaller box than I was expecting". I pulled the Tiger out to find that it was packed sideways into a nice looking, window-style box with velcro flap. Cool. I pulled the HL "accessory box" out to find that the German Tank Commander is the Tamiya KT tank commander with headphones and poseable arms! Sweet...

The mantle is corrected, as is the pistol port on the turrent. The barrel is still in the recoil position (no big deal since I ordered the aluminum extention for rctank.de last night). The cupola is still 45 degrees off.

Putting the battery in, I hit the machine gun. WOW!!!! The hull machine gun lights up, NOT the coax!

She drives like a champ, smokes like chimney, and looks great. The only problem is that Mr. Chinese Assembly line guy didn't put a screw in the left sprocket. Meh, easily fixed.

Man, I'm grinning like a Chesire Cat right now. My wife thinks I'm a dork. Will try to post pics tonight as I'm at work at the moment.

Blake
Old 10-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Ern

Default RE: Hot Dog! New HL Tiger I with new accessories!

Enjoy it Blake and welcome to the forum! What tank are you going to get next? Don't say, "This is it" because it will never happen! Once you start playing and adding metal bits and tracks you'll be hooked! I've got two Tigers [one undegoing a full metal, late model transformation] and a King Tiger on the way from The Blitz any day now. Is it for airsoft shooting or are you going to get into IR battling?

Don't worry about the wife... they all think we're dorks I believe [although you will see a few in pictures at IR battle days]. Mine just rolled her eyes when I got my first and said she was going to dig out her Barbies. I posted her comments and someone told me to help her get them out... and use them for targets!!

Ernie
Old 10-26-2009, 04:26 PM
NWarty

Thanks Ernie!

It's an airsoft version as there aren't any clubs in the Puget Sound area (that I know of). I've put about 20 rounds through the gun and was expecting something wimpy. The sucker shot clear across my yard at max elevation, roughly 60+ feet, so I was happy with that. I will do the creepingdeath turrent hopefully sometime in the spring. The new commander figure was a great sight as I was already planning to buy an aftermarket figure. He does come with separate earphones.

And yeah, I'm already thinking about the next tank. Possibly the King Tiger or Sherm. [>:] The Tiger will get metal sprockets, idlers and tracks within the next couple of months or so.

After several days of playing, I'll go ahead and start breaking her down for painting. I've already decided on the scheme and will do a Kursk Tiger, #233. I stepped away from scale armor modeling back in the late 90's, but it's gonna be a blast painting something this big.

Many thanks,
Blake
Old 10-26-2009, 06:15 PM
torpedochief

Alright Blake!!!

Enjoy that TIGER! They are wonderful.

Don
Old 10-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Fireman Tim
My Feedback: (3)

I got a Tiger I from Mato a few months back with the exact same corrections you got. Open her up and you will probably find the new RX18 board. You will need to get the replacement barrel if you want one with the right length.

Does anyone know if the HL panzer IVs come with the new RX18 board?
Old 10-26-2009, 06:35 PM
SteelFist

Hi F T

Just acquired a HL Pz IV and it came with the RX-18 fitted as standard, metal gears and suspension. I'm in the UK so I don't know if it would be different in the US.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Fireman Tim

Thanks SteelFist.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:40 PM
chinito_03

1st of all welcome blake... enjoy your tiger.. and of course you'll have a lot of fun upgrading it..
sherman would be a great 2nd tank in your hand.. hehehehehhe

daryl
Old 10-27-2009, 01:07 AM
NWarty

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas. I've had a lot of fun with her today.

Spent this past evening painting up the Tank Commander. Lots of skins effects and drybrushing on the jacket. Will finish him up tomorrow with some pewter highlights on the buckle and emblems, earphone wiring and sealed with dullcote.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36097.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1302786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59878.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1302787  
Old 10-27-2009, 03:34 AM
Wibblywobbly

It looks like HL are finally doing what we all wished that they would do, and turn out a quality product. That commander looks the business, excellent paintwork there and I wish I could do figure painting. The hatch detail looks like it has been improved too. One little tip for the sound, fit a 1ohm speaker, and a 22kb potentiometer as a volume control. It seperates the sounds and you get a lot more clarity for very little money. It is also worth looking at the wiring and changing the on/off switch for something that will handle the current, I use a toggle switch.

Speakers can be found in most cheap radio's, CD players etc, so always cannibalise them before you throw them out. They are also an excellent source of colour coded wiring and those elusive Chinese plugs.

Have fun...and whistle goodbye to your bank balance!

Rob G
Old 10-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Fireman Tim

One little tip for the sound, fit a 1ohm speaker, and a 22kb potentiometer as a volume control. It seperates the sounds and you get a lot more clarity for very little money.
My tiger's speaker is terrible. I can't hear the cannon fire over the engine noise. On the other hand, my T-34 with HL RX18 is clear as day.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:50 AM
NWarty

Well, the smoke unit quit working after a couple of hours of play and even after adding five or so drops into the exhaust tubes. At least it gives me an excuse to crack her open and take a look at her insides.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:01 AM
mrunktonkey

Here's a good 'how to' on cracking 'er open. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743482A long nosed phillips will eliminate the need to remove any road wheels to reach the mid-body screws. I'll suggest you leave in the two rear most screws on the bottom side areas as they keep the back panel attached with the smoke hoses and all. Good luck on the fix.. my smoke generator quit working after about 45 seconds... I just haven't bothered with it yet.

BTW, the paint job you did on the TC looks very nice!

Cheers, Bob
Old 10-27-2009, 10:15 AM
NWarty

Bob,
Thank you much! Got the hull opened and put back together this morning. Upon visual inspection of the smoke unit, the motor is working fine and the oil is getting sucked down the hose. Probably a bad element at this point.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:35 AM
The_Stuff

nice to hear they worked on the tiger 1's. i know lots liked them still but there was some issues to be fixed lol.

rc's. they are addicting. i know!
Old 10-27-2009, 04:00 PM
NWarty

Rats....the element on the smoke unit is broken. Plenty of oil in the system and it wasn't overfilled. Will probably break down and buy a couple of spares from Mato tonight.

The bright side is that I've taken apart the tank twice now and getting more confident. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing
Old 10-27-2009, 04:27 PM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

Search on here, thread not that long ago about "fuse wire" being used as a replacement element, but I know there are more than just that thread as well.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:54 PM
NWarty

Oh I found that one already and have been searching high and low for threads. I may just end up saving myself a headache and just order a couple of spares.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:41 PM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

From my time on here, improving the stock smoker would seem a good idea, vs. buying new. Some may indeed last a long time, but the smoker failing is way up the list on components that are obviously "weak" from the get-go.

This compared to things such as batteries, airsoft, motors/transmission, etc.

I would expect based on the previous threads, the element is the weak part...or else no one would be replacing it.

Not trying to be snotty, just relating what I've seen over the years here, with the goal of potentially saving you some money/aggravation in the long run.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:40 PM
NWarty

D535,
No bud, you're not being snotty at all! I just got a little discouraged when I opened up the smoker and saw the brown around the element and saw the microscopic break in the darned thing. What I may end up doing is buying a couple of spares, and then experimenting/repairing the broken one. Once I build up enough confidence, I think I can move onto bigger modifications. Seems like a good place to start.

Now, if I can just track down a good panzer crew loader...although the S&T Productions loader looks awesome. [>:]

Blake
Old 10-28-2009, 08:15 AM
mrunktonkey

Blake, when you find a good wire replacement, please post it. The smokers on both my PanTiger and Tiger1 quit working pretty quickly when the tanks were new. I haven’t bothered to look at the PanTiger’s unit but as I have the Tiger1 apart for a paint job, will check it’s smoker over before I button it back up.
There is also a proportional smoker available for these tanks for around $15 that might be worth looking into if you’re going to replace the stocker. Phil (Blitz) at RCTankWars.com has them and a wiring diagram to go with it.

Cheers, Bob
Old 10-28-2009, 09:47 AM
cheap tank

try the wire from an old hair dryer it has worked for me. the smokers from trains work evan better and are not to expensive if you look on the auction site. i have used them in scale ships and one tank.