Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
 INFO needed on Gear box & reductions >

INFO needed on Gear box & reductions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

INFO needed on Gear box & reductions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default INFO needed on Gear box & reductions

I currently own a Tamiya Tiger I and would like more information on the "best" way to bring the tank down to scale speed. I currently own the gear reductions via ETO Armor, but was thinking about purchasing the Gear box from IMPACT. I also plan on running metal tracks that I purchased (IMPACT).

-Are there any pros & cons between the two items?

-Anyone else sale quality metal gearboxes besides IMPACT? Is it worth the $135.00 + $35.00 shipping cost?

-Is there another way to bring it to scale speed besides the above mentioned methods?

Assistance would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 11-01-2009, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: INFO needed on Gear box & reductions

One of my Tamiya Tiger I's has Impact gearboxes in them but I use the Tamiya tracks (not metal), and yes they do slow your tank down (15-17mph scale speed). I do think they're worth it if your going with metal tracks, the only con though is the noise from them (the noise on mine haven't reduced that much yet). Jeff in our club swears by them and he runs Impacts with metal gears in all the tanks he battles with. On the tiger another con is if one of the pins backs out it could strip your gearbox (happened to me), so always check your pins before and after running your tank (just like real tanks). I haven't tried ETO's gear reductions, is that the pinions or the heavy competition gearboxes? Sevo says for the competition gearboxes there is a geardown you buy seperate.....I just wish he'd lower his prices to around $200 for his gearboxes.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:38 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is link to the orignator of the modified Heng Long Gear box. You can make you own If you want. Takes some time, and make sure you wear gloves.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5965586/mpage_1/key_gearbox/tm.htm]Perry S's gear box mods[/link]
Old 11-01-2009, 04:47 PM

Just so your aware caribmar your going to have to modify the mounting points on the lower hull to mount the HL gearboxes, and their just as loud as Impacts (maybe more) [&:]:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyhnvwMxTeY
Old 11-01-2009, 05:13 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Since you already have the gear reduction units from ETO, go with them and see what you got. As long as you do not hammer on them (even with metal tracks) you should be okay. Now driving outside with rocks and debris is another story. The beauty of the Tamiya gearbox is that there are replacement parts available if and when you do need them. I've been driving mine for 6 years and even though there are not metal tracks on the existing builds, they have held up well. They do have some battle dates on them but for the most part I drive them like a tank and not an R/C car.

Story is the IMPACTS are very noisy and do not have a very lengthy warranty with them. Even with beefing them up they are suspect to failing, but I have not seen how they were driven either.

I would still give the Tamiya units a try since you already invested in the reduction units.

- Jeff
Old 11-01-2009, 05:40 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Oh also, the nice thing about those gear reduction units is that they come with 10, 12, and 14 tooth gears to dial your tank speed in. Plus, they have ball bearings installed in the units.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:10 PM

like all tankers that seeks perfection, I am more adventurous in trying new things
1. that is doing all my homework
2. not busting expenditure
3. if #2 happened, hide it well from wife

I had gearboxes from Schumo reduction unit, HL's metal gear (reduction 3:1) and impact

All works very well, none had broken down so far.
There is some noticeable better performance between one another. But it would be more fun to find out the truth yourself, and be your own "engineer"

The only difference for all good gearbox solution is - PRICE

Here are some information
CRCM
http://www.customrcmodels.com/id455.htm

impact
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzBHFrr3cAY

HL
this is most common, you will find dozens searching at youtube.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:16 AM

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

ETO has technically two gear down systems. One is the Schumo, ZUH19, a bolt on reduction that comes with 3 pinions to dial in your speed. The other is a simple 8 tooth pinion gear, which gives you about a 15% reduction in speed, but requires a slight mod to the trans frame to ease the motor closer the the primary drive gear, as the 8 tooth pinion is of course smaller in diameter than the stock 10 toother. Both work well, I use them both.
I wish I could lower the price on the HD series. They are below cost now. Each of the steel spur gears, the smaller ones, are over 50 bucks each. Apparently no one told the maker that in a "crisis" you don't raise prices almost 50% in 18 months. The gears are hardened steel, though, unlike some other offerings in the hobby, and ride on bronze bushings, again unlike some other offerings. When these few I have are gone, there will be no more of the HD series, as I doubt I'll find another cache of Type 1 TU's.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:25 AM

You know what you should do to sell them is make a video on say youtube showing how they perform, kind of abusing them.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:40 AM

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Yup, thought of that. Got to get the antique video camera repaired first, actually it's in for repair, but not ready yet. The vids from Odessa are too staid to show abuse. Should have videoed the teenagers using, and abusing, them last summer. Now that was a workout.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for the information. I don't like the idea of the IMPACT gearboxes making so much sound so I'll stick with what I have, the gear reductions. Also the helpful information saved me 160.00 bones!