Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Best way to add a blackwash?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Best way to add a blackwash?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 04:29 PM
bananapirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to add a blackwash?

Iused enamels and thinners but it kinda melts the paint. WAter and accrylics just beads up like water does. What works best?

I have heard Humbrol thinners are less harsh on paint, anyone have experience with it?

Old 01-07-2010, 04:47 PM
j z

Default RE: Best way to add a blackwash?

I have used tamiya paints thinned with rubbing alcohol and that always worked good for me. Doesn't bead up and definitely wont melt plastic. Regards, J Z
Old 01-07-2010, 05:18 PM
DeadTom

May I ask how these washes are applied? Brush, air-brush?
I have never been this detailed with painting models and this is newer territory for me.
thanks,
DT
Old 01-07-2010, 05:57 PM
kclank

ORIGINAL: bananapirate

I used enamels and thinners but it kinda melts the paint. WAter and accrylics just beads up like water does. What works best?

I have heard Humbrol thinners are less harsh on paint, anyone have experience with it?

I have had some success with ink thinned with alcohol. Flowed on with a brush then blown of with air Also can be applied with an air brush in very light coats.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:11 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

try diluted oils
Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 PM
dazman

I used water colors using an airbrush.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Bagheera

Tanks I'll give them a try. New ideas a good thing

Tanks
Old 01-07-2010, 08:54 PM
bananapirate

I have to say mixing acrylics with rubbing alcohol works great! Thanks!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 PM
BiggTony

Be Careful of the amount of dilution medium used whenworking withAcrylics, whether alcohol or water. Although you may achieve the desired transparency, longevity of your painted product may be in jeopardy, unless you intend to varnish, which is unlikely cause no one wants a glossy tank. Acrylics being diluted to a point of being a wash and applied to plastics will most definitely be able to be rubbed off with little effort (depending on the mix ratio.) If your talking acrylic enamel, that's a different story.

I would recommend using matte medium or airbrush medium by liquitex. Then add a little water to your liking. The matte medium will not disrupt the acrylics ability to adhere and allow you to achieve the desired consistency or hue. The airbrush medium is actually matte medium mixed with water at the proper ratio for airbrush users, but can be use for bristle brush work as well.

If you want a more lasting paint that has the quality of adhering like enamel, then I would recommend Acrylic ink. It can be diluted with paint thinner or water and not lose it's ability to adhere.

This is a Super Sculpey sculpture I did several years back using Acrylics, andAcrylic inks. Hopefully you can see the faint blue wash?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:29 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

What are you sealing the paint with before the wash? Dull Coat or a similar product will protect the paint and you can wash to your hearts content. With the diluted acrylics... try applying a wider wash with a sponge brush or even air brush it. Works well on my Shermans. If you are looking for a PIN WASH, same rule applies- Seal it with a clear coat and you can use whatever you want and it won't directly attack the paint.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:37 PM
timslocum

I have found that using large brushes for washes works for me. I use enamels thinned with cheap paint thinner from the hardware store. I bought a gallon for what a couple of small bottles would have been from the LHS.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:08 AM
bananapirate

ORIGINAL: edoubleaz

What are you sealing the paint with before the wash? Dull Coat or a similar product will protect the paint and you can wash to your hearts content. With the diluted acrylics... try applying a wider wash with a sponge brush or even air brush it. Works well on my Shermans. If you are looking for a PIN WASH, same rule applies- Seal it with a clear coat and you can use whatever you want and it won't directly attack the paint.
I went to the hobby shop earlier and thought exactly that when i saw the dullcaot. I picked some up and will do that