Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

DBC Battle system

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:30 PM
EOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DBC Battle system

Ok someone on the southern left coast requested That I post this info. He felt it would be better that way, coming from a customer rather than a distributor.
Anyway the members of the Detroit Tank Command have been doing tech testing and we found that the DBC battle system when used as the blitz assembes them have a firing range between 60 and 70 feet and will take hits from a Tamiya system all the way too 80 feet. This was done on a flat running (rubberized) surface indoors at a high school.
The HL tanks used wth the DBC were the Tiger 1 and 2, Panzer III and IV, KV1 and stug III and they were all consistant in their firing and recieving ranges
I wish I had some pictures but we all forgot the cameras. Just food for thought for all interested.

EOT
Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: DBC Battle system

OK so where are you going with this. The Tamiya system claims a max of 90 ft. SO I guess you are letting DBC users know that they may have to move in closer to score hits.

Have you tried taking a Tamiya TBU and installing it to a DBC and see what that outcome is.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:23 AM
EOT

YHR,
Where am I going with this?.................HHMM nowhere! I've looked on several tank forums an I haven't been able to find any listings foremitting orrecieving ranges for the IR systems. Now the guy in east armpit anywhere has an idea of why he or she can take hits from a Tamiya tank and notsend them at the same far range.As far as putting Tamiya components in a DBCsome people I've met, withfar more live brain cellsthan me, tell me the Tamiya and DBC systems are apples and oranges as far ascomponents go and that Tamiya uses higher voltage on the emitter hence the extra range. Even if one could fit the Tamiya components theDBC has lower voltage and the range would be roughly the same as DBCdue too the voltage difference.We also found theTamiya system was erratic atthe advertised 90 feet sending hits but spot on at 80 feet.Believe me we were all suprised with what we found fromboth battle units.
Am I saying one is better- nojust listing what we found in our testing .

EOT
Old 01-15-2010, 06:28 PM

Thanks EOT, I am considering one of these from Phil for a Panzer III and IV. Good info to noobs

Be well,

David
Old 01-15-2010, 07:11 PM
YHR

I actually use a Tamiya TBU with a DBC and haven't had any issues yet.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting your results, it's always good to have real life results. I've never really tested maximum ranges because finding a spot was tricky, and none of the battles I've had involved that sort of range.

For reference, both the Tamiya MFU and DBC send full battery voltage to the IR LED (minus the switching losses). The difference is in the IR LED itself, and the current limiting resistor, which results in a different firing range. A Tamiya IR LED can be fit to a DBC just fine, but the resistor would need to be tuned to ensure that the LED is over or under-driven. Unfortunately, I haven't found an economical source for an IR LED that exactly matches the Tamiya IR LED, the one I use is the closest economical one I've found so far (though I do have a few more to test when I find time).

A TBU will plug directly into the DBC, they both use the same pinout. They are quite different inside, which can result in a slightly different hit range and angle.

For optimum battling equality at long ranges, a TBU and Tamiya LED should match a FO Tamiya tank. For shorter ranges or less competitive ventures, a DBU and LED offer reasonable performance at a good price.

Cheers,
David

ORIGINAL: EOT

YHR,
Where am I going with this?.................HHMM nowhere! I've looked on several tank forums an I haven't been able to find any listings for emitting or recieving ranges for the IR systems. Now the guy in east armpit anywhere has an idea of why he or she can take hits from a Tamiya tank and not send them at the same far range[img][/img]. As far as putting Tamiya components in a DBC some people I've met, with far more live brain cells than me, tell me the Tamiya and DBC systems are apples and oranges as far as components go and that Tamiya uses higher voltage on the emitter hence the extra range. Even if one could fit the Tamiya components the DBC has lower voltage and the range would be roughly the same as DBC due too the voltage difference. We also found the Tamiya system was erratic at the advertised 90 feet sending hits but spot on at 80 feet. Believe me we were all suprised with what we found from both battle units.
Am I saying one is better- no just listing what we found in our testing [img][/img] .

EOT
Old 01-16-2010, 11:35 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: YHR

I actually use a Tamiya TBU with a DBC and haven't had any issues yet.
What EOT is saying is that the range of the DBC is less than the Tamiya Battle system,we dont have any problems with the DBC's all that we have tested work great but only to a shorter range than the Tamiya. so in a Battle the Tamiya Tanks can pick you off from a longer range and The DBC equiped tankscant hit them from over 60 feet .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55264.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	1357229  
Old 01-16-2010, 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: darkith

Thanks for posting your results, it's always good to have real life results. I've never really tested maximum ranges because finding a spot was tricky, and none of the battles I've had involved that sort of range.

For reference, both the Tamiya MFU and DBC send full battery voltage to the IR LED (minus the switching losses). The difference is in the IR LED itself, and the current limiting resistor, which results in a different firing range. A Tamiya IR LED can be fit to a DBC just fine, but the resistor would need to be tuned to ensure that the LED is over or under-driven. Unfortunately, I haven't found an economical source for an IR LED that exactly matches the Tamiya IR LED, the one I use is the closest economical one I've found so far (though I do have a few more to test when I find time).

A TBU will plug directly into the DBC, they both use the same pinout. They are quite different inside, which can result in a slightly different hit range and angle.

For optimum battling equality at long ranges, a TBU and Tamiya LED should match a FO Tamiya tank. For shorter ranges or less competitive ventures, a DBU and LED offer reasonable performance at a good price.

Cheers,
David

ORIGINAL: EOT

YHR,
Where am I going with this?.................HHMM nowhere! I've looked on several tank forums an I haven't been able to find any listings for emitting or recieving ranges for the IR systems. Now the guy in east armpit anywhere has an idea of why he or she can take hits from a Tamiya tank and not send them at the same far range[img][/img]. As far as putting Tamiya components in a DBC some people I've met, with far more live brain cells than me, tell me the Tamiya and DBC systems are apples and oranges as far as components go and that Tamiya uses higher voltage on the emitter hence the extra range. Even if one could fit the Tamiya components the DBC has lower voltage and the range would be roughly the same as DBC due too the voltage difference. We also found the Tamiya system was erratic at the advertised 90 feet sending hits but spot on at 80 feet. Believe me we were all suprised with what we found from both battle units.
Am I saying one is better- no just listing what we found in our testing [img][/img] .

EOT

Viper Excellent paint job on that King Tiger![sm=thumbup.gif]

Hey Darkith,

All of these DBC that they test I used my own High Powered LED![sm=punching.gif] I have been sending it out with kits where I know they are in a competitive club and battle against Tamiya Tanks! Merle Morhing found them, I can send you the link and spec fo the LED's. I tested them in my tanks first, and found they worked great, and I even use them with my EL MOD setups!

On a side note, I have attended and competed in well over 10 battle days from LA to Phoenix to San Diego! And I have yet to once take a shot or get shot at from further then 50 feet, so too me I do not feel any disadvantage when I am out there on the field!

The Blitz

RCTankWars.com
Old 01-17-2010, 12:43 AM
EOT

Darkith,

I stand corrected and thank you for the information. Seems my souces weren't quite acurrate . I definately don't want to be spreading misinformation . I have 3 of your battle systems installed and I'm very happy with the performance and will continue putting them in my HL's. Realistically with terain and obstructions (buildings, trees, and such) its a non issue too me.

YHR,
Would you happen to know what the maximum Range is on the IR emmiter is on your set up for the battle system ?

Blitz,
your smiley face looks pretty red on my screen.....................take a deep breath....focus...calm down...........or I'll send the guys with the black helicopters after you (thats an inside joke between him and I for everyone else reading this) LOL

To anyone reading this thread I have no hidden agenda or axe to grind with this post. I was only putting the information our club has found out. If anyone has actual real world information on the EL-mod system or the impact system it would be great to know what it is.

EOT
Old 01-17-2010, 01:18 AM
YHR

It is good info, no need to apologize, I just wasn't sure exactly what your agenda was.

I am constanly on the look out for IR emitters. I have varous emitters. With my method of mounting them it is very easy to just plug in one and try it out. I also harested some lenses out of and old lazer tag rifle. If I really want some distance I'll install one of these. It focuses the beam and adds some distance. With the snow and limited run areas right now it would be hard for me to fiield test them, so sorry I have no real data to share.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:23 AM

=Blitz,
your smiley face looks pretty red on my screen.....................take a deep breath....focus...calm down...........or I'll send the guys with the black helicopters after you (thats an inside joke between him and I for everyone else reading this) LOL[img][/img]

To anyone reading this thread I have no hidden agenda or axe to grind with this post. I was only putting the information our club has found out. If anyone has actual real world information on the EL-mod system or the impact system it would be great to know what it is.

EOT

[/quote]

Hey EOT,

No red on my face not sure what your talking about, your info is very accurate the voltage with Tamiya in therory maybe the same with the DBC, and the pulse maybe the same but the circuit does not act the same as a Tamiya,, it is close yes! And I have modfied these assembled units to work at a higher level![sm=punching.gif] That is all I ever said, and the test results have provem that to be true![X(] If someone proves me wrong then that is even better for the Hobby!

The Blitz

RCTankWars.com