Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Worst tank of WWII

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Panzerfaust77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Worst tank of WWII

Worst tank of WW2? For me it would have to the late-model British cruiser tanks like the Crusader. There were poorer tanks out there for sure, but they were inferior due to their vintage (the Italian tanks), by design (the German tanks like the PzI and PzII) or because there were intentional stop gaps (the US Grants etc).

The Crusader was crap due to out-dated thinking and political in-fighting.

The Crusader still used riveted construction, mounted the weak 2pdr gun (why must he British insist on naming their weapons after he weight of the shell?!) and had armor that was no better than it's predecessors.

It had stupid little MG turrets that gassed their gunners from their own MG fumes.

Despite being based on Christie suspension, it had worse off-road performance that most of it's contemporaries and was infamously unreliable. The fact that the British proudly fielded such a terrible tank as their MBT in 42/43 cannot be defended. It says a great deal that they were all left behind in Africa.

A close second must be the Churchill tank - a dinosaur. Sponson-mounted hull guns in 1940?! Did British tank development just stop in 1918?
Old 03-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Spitvalve

Not since Post #42 in this thread have I heard such military insight and logic, and heard it so well stated.
Panzerfaust77, You Sir are a genius!
I think we're the first two people to agree on a tank. Do we win a Tamiya of our choice from Karen/Girltankette?

Mike.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Panzerfaust77

ORIGINAL: Spitvalve

Not since Post #42 in this thread have I heard such military insight and logic, and heard it so well stated.
Panzerfaust77, You Sir are a genius!
I think we're the first two people to agree on a tank. Do we win a Tamiya of our choice from Karen/Girltankette?

Mike.
Sounds good
Old 03-06-2010, 02:11 PM
germantanker

ORIGINAL: Panzerfaust77

Worst tank of WW2? For me it would have to the late-model British cruiser tanks like the Crusader. There were poorer tanks out there for sure, but they were inferior due to their vintage (the Italian tanks), by design (the German tanks like the PzI and PzII) or because there were intentional stop gaps (the US Grants etc).

The Crusader was crap due to out-dated thinking and political in-fighting.

The Crusader still used riveted construction, mounted the weak 2pdr gun (why must he British insist on naming their weapons after he weight of the shell?!) and had armor that was no better than it's predecessors.

It had stupid little MG turrets that gassed their gunners from their own MG fumes.

Despite being based on Christie suspension, it had worse off-road performance that most of it's contemporaries and was infamously unreliable. The fact that the British proudly fielded such a terrible tank as their MBT in 42/43 cannot be defended. It says a great deal that they were all left behind in Africa.

A close second must be the Churchill tank - a dinosaur. Sponson-mounted hull guns in 1940?! Did British tank development just stop in 1918?

I really enjoyed your insight here, I must honestly say that British tanks have never been my forte' but it has made me want to learn more about them, which was what I was hoping to gain when I started the thread. Healthy opinions expressed and clearly communicated, very often encourage others to do more research, including myself. Thanks again. Sorry no tank from AAF
Old 03-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Panzerfaust77

ORIGINAL: germantanker
I really enjoyed your insight here, I must honestly say that British tanks have never been my forte' but it has made me want to learn more about them, which was what I was hoping to gain when I started the thread. Healthy opinions expressed and clearly communicated, very often encourage others to do more research, including myself. Thanks again. Sorry no tank from AAF[img][/img]
Thanks! I like the design of the British tanks, particularly the Valentine. They look 'good'. But they were poor in every real sense because of stupid politics and bad thinking and they can't be excused for their age (like the abysmal Italian L3/35!). The Valentine for example had a tiny one-man turret which greatly reduced it's effectiveness. We also had a chance to field Czech LT-38s, the same tanks the Jerries used to storm Poland and France, but we turned them down in favour of inferior domestic contracts!

Revisionist make a big deal about the inferiority of the German tanks that hit France in may '40 but THIS is what the BEF had to face them with!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68029.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	1392195