Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

400 or 480 motor options

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:05 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: 400 or 480 motor options

ORIGINAL: Buckeye36

Thanks, think I got it through my thick skull now...[img][/img]
Your welcome
Old 09-25-2011, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone tell me if its normal for the Promax 480 ACC348 to be so noisey? I also don't see the motor making the tank any faster than normal. I also don't see a difference in speed. I have a 10T pinion installed.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have a ProMax, but my 480 is louder than my 380 was.  Your gears will be running faster and that could be some of the noise, especially if they aren't meshing well.  On that note, have you checked the mesh between the pinion and the first gear?  You could be losing something there, too.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:08 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

ORIGINAL: dlobmwm3

Can anyone tell me if its normal for the Promax 480 ACC348 to be so noisey? I also don't see the motor making the tank any faster than normal. I also don't see a difference in speed. I have a 10T pinion installed.

The intention of installing "better" motors is to slow the tank down, offering more torque to allow the tank to still maneuver around after taking hits and not become a pillbox. The stock Tamiya pinions are a 10-T as well so is that what you're using? Pinion mesh can and will cause noise, especially if the wrong pitch is being used.

I haven't fired up my long can motors but it wouldn't surprise me if they were somewhat noisier. I will not use them if they are. Have you oiled the bearings in the motors?

I know, nothing is more aggravating than a noisy drive-train. [:@] I hear it in almost every video placed here on the forum. Sometimes just a 'tweek' on the motor mount to adjust the pinion mesh is all it needs. I've seen/heard it with stock Tamiya gearboxes too. []

~ Jeff
Old 09-26-2011, 07:23 AM

Thanks fellas. I do have aftermarket 10-T pinions and left the stock motors in tact completely in case I wanted to swap motors out again. The pinions and first gear seem to mesh correctly as far as I can see. The pinions also have the set screws. I did not lubricate the motor. How would I lubricate it, WD-40 and where on the motor?
Old 09-26-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks fellas. I do have aftermarket 10-T pinions and left the stock motors in tact completely in case I wanted to swap motors out again. The pinions and first gear seem to mesh correctly as far as I can see. The pinions also have the set screws. I did not lubricate the motor. How would I lubricate it, WD-40 and where on the motor?
NO WD-40!!!!!

I use a plastic safe oil (from the hobby store) to oil everything. At the end of the motor shaft there are 2 bushings ... one on each end. Just a drop on each end will be enough and rotate the motor by hand first so when it is first turned over with the battery it won't spin it off.

This is where you're getting you noise from.

~ Jeff
Old 09-26-2011, 08:19 AM

Thanks Jeff. I will try that tonight.

ORIGINAL: Panther F

NO WD-40!!!!!

I use a plastic safe oil (from the hobby store) to oil everything. At the end of the motor shaft there are 2 bushings ... one on each end. Just a drop on each end will be enough and rotate the motor by hand first so when it is first turned over with the battery it won't spin it off.

~ Jeff
Old 09-26-2011, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys something else about the speed 400 6v motors the Rpm shown in the chart is at 6v if your running at 7,4 there is an extra 4000 rpm to take into consideration.You cant increase the voltage and not incease the speed.

regards pete
Old 09-26-2011, 09:33 AM

Thanks Jeff. I will try that tonight.

ORIGINAL: Panther F

NO WD-40!!!!!

~ Jeff
Old 10-29-2014, 04:45 AM

I'm bumping this thread...I know it's old.

I have a set of brass gearboxes coming from Asiatam and I plan to upgrade the motors to 400s. My experience with the PzIII tells me that they'll just fit and give better torque. However, it seems that most of the 400 options have disappeared from the market. I can't even find Graupners here anymore. The only ones left seem to be the Promax and Electrifly 400s.

Does anyone have any experience with either? I'm trying to determine which would be better. TIA.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:25 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had a set of Elecrifly 400s in a Tamiya tank. It didn't work well, as the motors were timed to run faster in forward. Since in a Tam the motors run in opposite directions, one side went faster. Sure, you can adjust the trim on the DMD, but it wasn't what I wanted.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used 8 Promax 400 motors so far in different projects and have had no trouble whatsoever. Direct replacement for HL gearboxes, haven't needed to try on Tamiya.

You'll just need to pull the pinion of the HL motor shaft.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the GWS motors and they're available at tower hobbies, they give an obvious RPM and torque boost & the run very well. I have a few sets for the tanks that need them!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJSS5&P=0 Out of Stock womp womp
Old 10-29-2014, 01:17 PM

I can gaurantee the Promax 400 motors will work and you will not have any issues with them.
On ALL asiatam gearboxes you will need to get 2 shorter screws though as the stock screws from the asiatam motors will actually go in far enough to hit the windings on the 400. Not because the motor is shorter but because it has thicker and more wire making it a much much better motor.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:59 PM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey Curtis, sent you a PM a couple hours ago. Get that one?

Last edited by Max-U52; 10-29-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Strato50
I like the GWS motors and they're available at tower hobbies, they give an obvious RPM and torque boost & the run very well. I have a few sets for the tanks that need them!

Very Cool... Thank You for the Link, I'm gonna pick up a couple to play with...

Where is a good place to pick up suitable Pinion Gears for use in my Taigen Steel Gearboxes (Tiger 1 and Jagpanther)?

Thanks In Advance...

-gus
Old 10-29-2014, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff489
I've had a set of Elecrifly 400s in a Tamiya tank. It didn't work well, as the motors were timed to run faster in forward. Since in a Tam the motors run in opposite directions, one side went faster. Sure, you can adjust the trim on the DMD, but it wasn't what I wanted.
Good to know. Someone at one point indicated that these are not timed...glad to get ground truth from experience. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Strato50

The HL pinions use 2.3-mm shafts. The GWS motors use 2.5-mm shafts. Do you have to do anything with the pinions to make them work?

Originally Posted by Augustus1967
Very Cool... Thank You for the Link, I'm gonna pick up a couple to play with...

Where is a good place to pick up suitable Pinion Gears for use in my Taigen Steel Gearboxes (Tiger 1 and Jagpanther)?

Thanks In Advance...

-gus
I've used the Duratrax Vendetta pinions on the basic HL steel gearboxes. They come in various tooth counts, too.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by FreakyDude
I can gaurantee the Promax 400 motors will work and you will not have any issues with them.
On ALL asiatam gearboxes you will need to get 2 shorter screws though as the stock screws from the asiatam motors will actually go in far enough to hit the windings on the 400. Not because the motor is shorter but because it has thicker and more wire making it a much much better motor.
You mean the 2.5-mm mounting screws? What is the proper length for the Promax motors? Looks like these will probably be the ones that I get.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by philipat
You mean the 2.5-mm mounting screws? What is the proper length for the Promax motors? Looks like these will probably be the ones that I get.
I'll measure a set when I get a chance but yes, it is ever so small but it will make a huge difference with motor life. With regular screws you hear the tick as the motor rolls over and past the wire, eventually the wire does wear down but that is not good for a motor.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:37 PM

Awesome! Thanks.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:22 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm interested in some around 1000-1500kv brushed 360 motors if you guys know of any. I am testing some gearboxes and the motors I have right now are just too fast. I want a smaller kv motor for more torque and less speed. If you guys can recommend a few for me besides Mabuchi with specs I would be more than grateful I can find plenty of motors but if there are no specs I cannot use them. I need to know torque values, rpm/v, and such.