Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
 Turret accrutements for Panther. >

Turret accrutements for Panther.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Turret accrutements for Panther.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turret accrutements for Panther.

Friends, after seeing some of the fine work that Karel 47 has been doing,I took a page from his Panther detailing post and made up a batch of "J" shaped hangers out of0.015" thick X 1/8" wide brass. After carefully marking out each location,they were then CA`d into place.When the track links
were hung onto them I then bent the brass onto the links,the top row was bent up,and the bottom row was bent down,keeping them secure. Although
I airbrushed them the same color as the tank,before they were bent I used flat black on the brass ends afterwardsso they would almost disappear.
The track links seem to add more bulkiness to the tank,and I`m happy with that.

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30135.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	1499064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49069.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	1499065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86859.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	1499066  
Old 09-12-2010, 06:45 AM

Default RE: Turret accrutements for Panther.

nice done yes it make the panther more dangerous looking too
Old 09-12-2010, 08:05 AM
My Feedback: (3)

HLPanther?
Old 09-12-2010, 12:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks very good. although in  most cases the links where hung horizontally. The Panthers came from the factory with "J" hooks welded to the tops of the turrets just for this purpose. To hang spare track links  but they where spaced to hang horizontally.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:13 PM

Greg, Thanks for the input on how the tracks were hung on the turret. Karel 47 has made his the proper way with "J" hooks at the top edge of his turret,and you know he is a stickler for detail. With the season now changing maybe I`ll make the change since w`ell be indoors more often.
Karel 47,thanks for your compliment, the track links do make the Panther G look more brutish.

Charlie
Old 09-12-2010, 01:40 PM

NP sailor. It looks very good. there is no limitations to how it was done so dont worry about it. It all deoends on how you like it. alot of tanks also hund spare roadwheels from the back of the turret like i did on mine. i'lll get some picks up.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:46 PM

Old 09-12-2010, 02:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Panther G

The Panthers came from the factory with ''J'' hooks welded to the tops of the turrets just for this purpose.

sorry Panther, but they did not come from the factory with any brackets welded to the turret this was in-fact a field modification there were several different type's of bracket used some Panthers even had two types of bracket attached to the turret some like Panthers from 116Pz Div had bolts welded to the rear side of the turret for a spare wheel to be hung and not all Panthers had this done even in the same company's
116 Pz.Div

Houffalize Panther also 116 Pz.Div

Old 09-12-2010, 02:27 PM

yes there are different solutions for the hooks possible, for instance mine the fleshhooks i called them that way there were only one or two panthers in kampfgrupe Peiper were field modifications wanted by the squadron or the tankcommander at hand ... that's why so many different type of fastenings

Here i add fotos from an other SMAZ member Luc Vandevoorde his combination for a zimmerit panther G with only two hooks like the KT's have welded on the turret
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19408.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1499315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74566.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1499316  
Old 09-12-2010, 02:46 PM

Well rivet you may be correct that not all panthers came with hooks but i have seen pics of them roll off the factory floor with them. So again as i always say, almost anything was possible. this may have been just the way that particular factory did it. There could have been and where some slight differences from factory to factory. Now. I in no way intend on debating your knowledge as everyone knows you are one of the most reputable sources of info. But I have seen these pics.  Most methods where likely field modifications as Karel says. But I know what i saw and read. Cheers mate. On a different matter, what is your opinion on the best 1:6 scale Panther model made. which manufacturer would you consider the best. I really like the Armortek Panther that they just started producing, but they usually only make them for a short period of time. Mark's panthers are really nice also and have them in 1:8th scale also, which may be a more realistic scale for me to get into. The 1:6th are amazing but probably just a little too ambitious for me.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:57 PM

well i rechecked some of my reference materials and yes rivet you may be correct. I may have had this confused with the tigers, which i have seen with track holders straight from the factory. Most where probably field modifications as karel says. I hate to dispute your info as it always seems you are correct. LOL but i know i have seen at least 1 Panther with them at the factory. just have to find the ref. material.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Panther, you have thrown a fair argument in there one of the factories may have fitted the hooks, I will have a look through my material over the next few days but I do know that there were various types of bracket and fitted in various positions on the turret.

forget the 1/8 Panther from Mark this was discontinued some time ago, as for best 1/6 well that depends on who you talk to some will say one some will say the other a bit like the Tamiya/Heng Long debate.

Armourtek, made from all metal incredibly heavy you will need 4 guys to lift this one, very well detailed as either the Panther or the Jagdpanther comes completely in kit form there are various up-grade detail parts available some more costly than others Mike Stannard has almost doubled the price of his parts over the last few years, this tank runs well and will keep you busy in the garage for quite a few months building the kit.
cost of the kit will be lower hull £1995 plus the top £1695 plus the motion pack to make the tank move £1295 plus the sound unit £450 and the smoke unit £99 Total £5534 or $8301 or 6640€ this does not include 24v battery, Radio gear, Paint, thread lock and last but not least shipping

Mark 1 Tanks mostly GRP with metal running gear approximately half the weight of the Armourtek, the detail is not quite as sharp as the Armourtek again there are quite a few up-grade detail parts available runs very well especially off road with the chain drive motors but if you get one of these make sure you tell Mark that you want the latest tracks as these are much better than the old type, tank come fully built but you can ask him to supply it in a base color and paint it yourself in fact you can install all your own electrics it depends on what you want or Mark will supply the tank fully painted and running with any markings that you want.
Cost of the kit is £3100 or $4650 or3720€ rolling chassis with motors or fully built ready to go £3800 or $5700 or 4560€ for the completed model you will need to add shipping and if you want to add more detail and personally I would add the Armourpax tools you will have to negotiate with Mark, also get the Benadini sound unit this may add extra cash but it's well worth the etra.

Which ever tank you choose you can add more detail and spend a serious amount of cash, making parts is a way of keeping cost's down, which ever tank you get you will not be disappointed and put your own mark on things with your own work like weld lines paint work ETC, I'm known very well to both companies so don't forget to say HI from me, it may get you a bit of discount (no promises) and if I'm very lucky I may get a free cup of tea next time I see them (no promises) Mark 1 tanks is away on honeymoon at the moment he will be back as an un-happily married man in 2 weeks time.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:37 PM

Yeah, i think that if and when i do commit it will be one of Marks Panther's. I may change my mind if a new model comes out but most likely a Panther, as you could figure is my all time favorite. He has a Comet available now too I beleive so it is getting tough too choose. I have looked at the Armorpax stuff. Awesome just excellent. Mark has packages with these parts set up for sale with his tanks i think. Is Alex still doing Marks primary construction. i have not heard much about Alex lately.
I do think the fiberglass with some reinforcement is the better way to go concerning weight issues. i have a truck so all i would need to do is build ramps, which i could do with my eyes closed.
I am actually getting kid of tired of building and modding as it has consumed more of my time than i care to let it. I haven't driven 1 0f my tanks in months. and i'm sure my motorcycle is quite dissappointed in me. havent even seen her in a month. LOL