RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   Looking for reference material for Pershiong (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/10333134-looking-reference-material-pershiong.html)

strong622 02-13-2011 11:13 AM

Looking for reference material for Pershiong

Looking for pictures, web sites anything for Pershing either WW2 or Korea. Also looking for pictures of camo option for Pershing, color pictures would help.

Danny<br type="_moz" />

harleridr 02-13-2011 11:33 AM

RE: Looking for reference material for Pershiong

look at Squadron Signal publications. They have a booklet on Korean War armour.
I believe most were not camoed but rather Left O.D.
Harle

Socioanthroman 02-13-2011 11:48 AM

They do have some Persh. with tiger printed fronts that are pretty kool looking let me see if I can find them.

strong622 02-13-2011 12:00 PM

I only saw the Patton Tank with tiger fronts also some Shermans and chaffee tanks also.

pattoncommander 02-13-2011 12:03 PM

Danny, Here are three listings of good publications;

M-26 Pershing Walk Around series by David Doyle. Squadron Signal 5706
The M-26 Pershing & Variants, Troy D Thiel Schiffer Military History Book, Atglen, PA
M-26-M-46 Pershing Tank 1943-53, New Vanguard by Steven Zaloga. (* the name is misleading as the M-46 was named for Patton)

The Pershing didn't use much camo at all. In WW II it was too late and during Korea, not much camo was used outside of camo nets.
There was a unit that did use a white patch camo scheme in Korea, winter 1951, but I don't know the unit nor did I see any there. Pershings and the M-46 Patton were all a plain-Jane OD with regulation Geneva Convention stars and white block letter ID. My unit had M-46s and used a yellow triangle on the turret with green unit numbers and white stripes on the gun tube to ID the company from the air, but otherwise, straight reg markings and no camo. (my avitar)

Hope this helps. Are you planning to do a Pershing? Which era, be glad to help.
Bill

pattoncommander 02-13-2011 12:12 PM

Pershings did NOT use tiger face decor. Any Pershing with those colors is historically incorrect. The decor was used only for Operations Ripper and Killer April-May 1951 and included the "new" M-46, Easy 8 Shermans and M-24 Chaffees. Shermans from the 3d Inf Div also had a large division patch painted on the tanks as well as tiger face. Pershings from the 1 & 2nd Marine Divisions who took part, used only authorized Marine markings. The Pershing at Ft Knox wears the tiger markings as that M-26 is a stand-in for the unavailable M-46s used by the unit who donated the tank.

Glen B 02-13-2011 01:31 PM

Thanks :)  for posting this, my next tank purchase may be a Pershing.

I will be looking at doing it up in Korean War markings.

strong622 02-13-2011 02:08 PM

Pattoncommander, I just purchased the HL M26 and trying to find a paint scheme. I was hoping for something unusual. Did not matter what era. I am waiting for a book M26/46 Pershing Tank 1943-1953. Hopefully it has some color prints. Thanks for your input.

Danny<br type="_moz" />

hdbeast 02-13-2011 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: strong622

Looking for pictures, web sites anything for Pershing either WW2 or Korea. Also looking for pictures of camo option for Pershing, color pictures would help.

Danny<br type="_moz" />

Here's some detail type pictures of the M26 Pershing that may help you. http://svsm.org/gallery/M26?page=1

Gary

pattoncommander 02-13-2011 03:44 PM

Danny, Model Master 1911 is a good WW II color. The HL Pershing is a Korean era tank and the color is good. I did a post a while ago on War Room , Authenticating an M-26 Pershing' with suggestions for building an accurate M-26. For korea, you will have to add fender braces and remove the aux periscopes for the driver-bog and for the most part, remove the skirts. Some Marine units kept the skirts, but most were trashed or folded up for MG ammo stowage.

Here are two additional publications I neglected to include;
Armor in korea, by Jim Mesko, Squadron Signal 6038.
Tank War Korea, by Simon Dunstan. Arms & Armour Press Tanks Illustrated #14.

Armor in korea does include an "M-46" from the 64th Tk Bn, 3d ID with white splotch camo. (pg48) It is an extremely inaccurate drawing and is simply a Pershing with added compensating idler and mufflers drawn in. Even the rear deck is incorrect, sprocket in the wrong place, and has the M-3 90mm gun and not the M-3A1. ....but the camo scheme is there and the only unit that I am aware of which used any camo scheme.

strong622 02-13-2011 06:57 PM

Thanks for the info.