RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   Clark electronics TK20 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11137871-clark-electronics-tk20.html)

FreakyDude 07-07-2012 05:26 PM

RE: Clark electronics TK20

all kinds of news about these boards but no real reviews? A couple videos taken in a guys garage by the look of them.<div>I have yet to see anything that has lived up to the promises made and I am seeing some pretty big promises being made here.</div><div>
</div><div>Don't take this the wrong way because I honestly hope the boards are as good as what is being said, if they are it will be a great thing for the hobby.</div><div>I see issues but I also see the possibilities.</div><div>
</div><div>AFV432 you have one of these boards so how about that review? too much sizzle and no steak so far</div>

B.A.D.A.S.S.Force 07-08-2012 12:49 AM

Among all the various programmable options, I missed this one earlier when skimming through the descriptions, so for those interested, the TK-20 board also has the repair mode available for the primary weapon to make your Bergepanther or other repair vehicle or station too.

I realize there aren't many real world test videos or in-depth reviews from any long-time &amp; respected forum members or from any proven unbiased TK-20 owners just yet, but I believe all these optional cards started in similar fashion anyway ... with big dreams, a lot of hard work, &amp; some initial garage or home videos to show their potential to anyone who might be interested &amp; willing to try them out on mostly blind faith that they work as advertised. Since the board hasn't been publicly verified by enough users yet, it's understandable it would be met with some reserved skepticism on its true functionality.

Regardless, I cannot help myself right now ... with a $60 price range, the more I read over all the various programmable options on the CSCII page (which the TK-20 is supposed to have too), the more my interest grows for this board. Maybe they are everything as good as what the options seem to suggest they can be, maybe they aren't, but I certainly am leaning towards jumping in blind on these myself by getting a couple for my Panther G &amp; KV-1 HL tanks anyway. Just need to find out when the newer version will be available as well as how to order them.

~ Craig ~

tomhugill 07-08-2012 01:07 AM

For the doubters:
http://www.youtube.com/user/devil8393
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/devil8393">

<br type="_moz" />
</a>

Rebellion13 07-08-2012 07:54 AM

I wasn't a doubter, but I watched it anyway. Looks promising. And if the price tag remains as stated or close to it, here is one more viable option.

Cheers
Wade

Panther G 07-08-2012 02:40 PM

Well, from what i have seen it is the same old multi stepped sound used in every other system other than El-Mod and the DBC3 with the Benedinni system. I preffer a system where you can actually load your own true engine and cannon sounds. These are a great improvement over the standard HL offering but i really like the DBC3 the more I see and use it. No it is not a low buck solution but i am not looking for one. Most of my tanks are set up with Tamiya systems and there is no low buck about that.<div> What I would say was the most desirable system is one that gives you the abillity to add your own sounds which ever system that may be for any given hobbiest.</div>

Rebellion13 07-08-2012 03:21 PM

I agree, when I was deciding on a system I took price into account. But after its all said and done it does play a part, just not a significant one anymore, for me that is. The dbc/benedini sounds great, and I want my tanks to sound realistic. Not saying this system won't, but I have to agree with "G" on this. Just my opinion though.

Cheers
Wade

borealis 07-08-2012 10:36 PM

I wonder if Clark did use a repair mode compatible with the IBU and the Mako, since a different IR pattern would act against the diffusion of such a cool feature.

I want to recall that the IBU IR repair code is available for free to everybody requesting it.

B.A.D.A.S.S.Force 08-22-2012 09:11 AM

Well, I received notice the other day that Clark is expected to be ready to start shipping the newest version of the TK-20 boards some time late next week, or 1st week September.

He again quoted me the price of the board itself was still going to be $60, with a shipping cost to the USA of $4 to $5.

~ Craig ~

mustclime 08-22-2012 09:35 AM

Very interesting, I am looking for something to run my E100 project and am not looking forward to paying 500 for all the bulletproof tamiya stuff.....I do not care about a smoker but I do not want glitches I still see with the rx18 stuff....I wish there was a better option that did not cost an arm an and a leg.

YHR 08-22-2012 10:53 AM

What are the glitchs I am hearing about with the RX18??? Please elaborate.

The cost of this unit is unbelievably low. I will be interested if they can actually be sold and serviced for this cost. How do you get shipping to the USA for $4.00?? Are they subsidizing the shipping out of the already low $60 retail cost???

When are these available?.

mustclime 08-22-2012 12:14 PM

glitchs = 1)tank shuts down after a shot,restarts but does nothing but make motor sounds2)tank starts doing track recoil after you set it to not do it in the middle of the battle 3)hit lights on apple start comming on when you turn the turret or ask the tank to do anything in the middle of a battle.....I have a dburc2 and a dburc3 with a sound card...both tanks have 400 motors and 3:1 gears and both tanks are running on 5000ma batteries with a fresh charge...the dbu were from phil so I assume they are done right. This kind of preformance is not acceptable, I wait months to do a battle and haveing a tank that glitches out is not working for me.

yellowshaker 08-22-2012 01:04 PM

Scott, try elmod in the E50

YHR 08-22-2012 02:26 PM

I'll pm you tonight. I have some ideas,but don't want to sidetrack this Clark thread.

B.A.D.A.S.S.Force 09-03-2012 09:10 PM

Well Clark has supposedly started shipping the newest TK-20 boards as of yesterday. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/thumbup.gif

I ordered 2.

Just wondering who else here has ordered, &amp; how many, hoping to get them from this first batch?

~ Craig ~

YHR 09-03-2012 09:28 PM

I have one on the way

Airbrushler 09-03-2012 10:03 PM

what's this board suppose to be capable of

tomhugill 09-03-2012 10:57 PM

Read the thread and you will see,' plenty of vids etc up..... But for the lazy among you it's a fully plug and play replacement for theRX18 featuring Tamiya compatable battle system, Tamiya beating sound, repair mode, lights, hobby radio compatible etc all for $60 ($50 with introductory offer) and $3 shipping..... Not bad eh

<br type="_moz" />

Airbrushler 09-04-2012 12:27 AM

ORIGINAL: tomhugill

Read the thread and you will see,' plenty of vids etc up..... But for the lazy among you it's a fully plug and play replacement for theRX18 featuring Tamiya compatable battle system, Tamiya beating sound, repair mode, lights, hobby radio compatible etc all for $60 ($50 with introductory offer) and $3 shipping..... Not bad eh

<br type=''_moz'' />

i wasn't being lazy when it was first talked about so many things were said and not said the it was confusing this is why i asked again what it was capable of
i am on page 1 of the thread advertising the link but i will wait to see what others say about how it works and go from there

Murdock73 09-04-2012 02:51 AM

Here you can see a full static function demo of the TK-20

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYhxMMB-DJM&amp;feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

YHR 09-04-2012 05:20 AM

<br type=''_moz'' />

The only drawback I see is the stick mapping. That will take some getting use to. If it delivers as advertised, this will be an incredible value. You can wire it up to accept a TBU as well, which for standardization is great. The only thing it doesn't do, is allow you to program your own sounds, but at $ 60 I think I could live with that. Only Tiger sounds available as well right now, but I am sure more are coming.

As soon as this arrives I will test it, and give you an update. It has a 3 watt output as well, so that should be plenty loud enough. There are quite a few people on the UK forum who have one on the way as well. There should be a lot of consumer reviews on it soon.

The TK 20 is $ 60, the TK 30 is $90. I believe the TK 30 is a better quality sound, but it is still in the prototype stage. Either way this is some pretty serious competition for all the others.

Cheers

tomhugill 09-04-2012 05:37 AM

Tbh though theyre so cheap that the lack of programming sound isn't too bad. Hell you could have 4/5 of these for the cost of an Elmod or Tamiya system! I'm hoping that creative use of altering channels can make the stick mapping more sensible.

George Jure 09-04-2012 06:02 PM

Hello

Been following this post and product for a while. I look forward to reading YHR`s review of the product. Could someone please explain the term " stick mapping " ? I am new to this hobby and it`s electronics.

Thanks
George

Green Amphibian 09-04-2012 06:20 PM

George,

That is what function the tank performs for a given movement of a control stick or sticks. Sometimes you can change them with the radio set up and mixes.

Herman<br type="_moz"/>

B.A.D.A.S.S.Force 09-04-2012 10:03 PM

ORIGINAL: YHR

The only drawback I see is the stick mapping. That will take some getting use to. If it delivers as advertised, this will be an incredible value. You can wire it up to accept a TBU as well, which for standardization is great. The only thing it doesn't do, is allow you to program your own sounds, but at $ 60 I think I could live with that. Only Tiger sounds available as well right now, but I am sure more are coming.

As soon as this arrives I will test it, and give you an update. It has a 3 watt output as well, so that should be plenty loud enough. There are quite a few people on the UK forum who have one on the way as well. There should be a lot of consumer reviews on it soon.

The TK 20 is $ 60, the TK 30 is $90. I believe the TK 30 is a better quality sound, but it is still in the prototype stage. Either way this is some pretty serious competition for all the others.

Cheers
The first TK-20 batch very well may be all Tiger sounds used in it, but the boards will be intended to be used for all German tanks, not just Tiger tanks. This is why the TK-20 might not be everyone's cup of tea, specifically because the intended sound sets released are going to be very limited, as well as sounds cannot be changed as you mentioned. There will be no other specific German sound sets created for other German tanks, at least that wasn't the plan revealed by Clark for the TK-20 boards.

Next on the sound set release list for the TK-20 boards was supposed to be a single Russian sound package, to be followed by a single Allied sound package, on something like a monthly schedule for each set's release. So even though each package may be using all the sounds for a particular tank, &amp; might be perfect for that tank, they would also have to be used for any similar armor from the same nation. Maybe at some point Clark will release sound sets for various tanks from the same nation on the TK-20, but doubtful, because that seems to be the plan for the TK-30 boards, which definitely will have better sound. The TK-30 boards will be offered in various tank specific sound sets to correctly portray each specific tank model, not just for portraying all the armor from a single nation like the TK-20. As far as I know Clark hasn't provided a full or even partial list yet of the various tanks he will be creating sounds packages up for the TK-30 boards, but the first batch of the boards will also have Tiger sounds.

Things may have changed in the way of plans for the boards since my last contact with Clark, but that is what I had learned, so If anyone knows more accurate up to date information, please correct anything or everything I've stated if need be, thanks.

~ Craig ~

tomhugill 09-05-2012 04:26 AM

Are you sure about that Craig? I was under the impression the first tk20 has maybach sounds for the panther tiger and king tiger which all share the same engine. I could be mistaken though.

borealis 09-05-2012 06:25 AM

A single package might be acceptable for russian tanks... much less for german ones (a PZ IV and a Tiger sound very different), and unacceptable for US ones (a radial and a multibank engine are completely different).

At least the same soundset variety offered by the S.L.U. should be available, imho

mustclime 09-05-2012 06:46 AM

If you can get slu.....they seem to out of stock a lot...........the stick set up is kinda a deal braker for me, it would leave me a sitting duckon the battle field.

B.A.D.A.S.S.Force 09-05-2012 09:12 AM

Are you sure about that Craig? I was under the impression the first tk20 has maybach sounds for the panther tiger and king tiger which all share the same engine. I could be mistaken though.
Well, I am only sharing the limited discussion I had, so I am not 100% sure, but I believe your impression is not mistaken, &amp; your example actually goes right along with what was said. Only 1 German sound set is offered, but whenever tanks did share the same engines, the engine sounds of the offered package will be OK across those various tanks as expected. But there are more sounds than just the engine in this one package, &amp; there are other German tanks which do not use the V-12 Maybach HL PL230 engine.

So with the case of the German sound package, since those 3 tanks (&amp; some of their variants) shared basically the same engine, the engine sounds will sound fairly accurate no matter which tank uses them. However, what about main gun sounds or other sounds, a single German sound package just cannot be spot on for each &amp; every different German tank &amp; their specific sounds, &amp; neither will the Russian or Allied package when they are released. Still, all the sounds will be such a vast improvement over any of the offered HL stock sounds, &amp; with all the other improvements, for $60 to me it's a no brainer anyway.

For those who are more critical of wanting all the sounds in the package being specific for the tank the board goes into, the TK-30 for $90 will be the best option between the 2 boards.

~ Craig ~

AFV432 09-05-2012 11:28 AM

Clarks initial mind set was he didnt think these would sell very boy i hope he's mistaken
thus the limited sound sets available at the moment

the Tiger is the first and we are working on soundsets for as many tanks as we can get our hands on so the sky is the limit really lol

clarks initial thoughts was for a direct RX18 replacement but without all the nasty bits ie killer track recoil (the tk20 is the same as the Tamiya set up)

2 styles of recoil are available Tamiya and servo recoil

the tk18 is a direct RX18 style with h/long handset retained and the airsoft function with the bonus of much better sound

hope that helps clear things up slightly

i cant wait till you guys get yours as the " proof will be in the pudding" as they say
just remember to follow all the instructions on clarks website and all should be good ;)

we did have the experimental version running off a planet 2.4ghz and it would seem the stick setup can be altered at least in the driving style
by switching receiver cables
we are still hanging out for a latest version tk20 and 30 here to get our teeth into then we will have more on it :)

Rob

B.A.D.A.S.S.Force 09-05-2012 12:31 PM

ORIGINAL: AFV432

Clarks initial mind set was he didnt think these would sell very boy i hope he's mistaken

the Tiger is the first and we are working on soundsets for as many tanks as we can get our hands on so the sky is the limit really lol

Rob

Rob, are you hinting, should the TK-20 be a huge hit, that Clark could possibly be thinking to release other TK-20 German, Russian, &amp; Allied sound sets after the initial sets, which will have different sounds to accommodate more tanks? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...n/confused.gif

This would be fantastic news, as Clark had earlier implied that the TK-20 was only going to have very limited sound sets (he mentioned 1 German, 1 Russian, &amp; 1 Allied version), &amp; that all the hard work in collecting &amp; creating all the many specific tank sound sets was going to be reserved for the making of the more advanced TK-30 boards.

If that is the case, then it's a 180&ordm; stance from my understanding of what he mentioned just about a month ago concerning the plans for the TK-20 ... another feature I had asked about, which Clark also answered with a firm "no", was about plans on releasing a board with easy access to user changeable sounds ... hopefully he can be persuaded to do a 180&ordm; on that decision as well ... we can always hope, can't we? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

~ Craig ~

Panther G 09-05-2012 12:33 PM

Looks and sounds really good, non model specific aside. The the turret traverse is entirely to fast for a WWII tank though. May be accurate for a modern tank but a Tiger I did not turn that fast, nor did the Panther.<div> The price is really the hook. If this thing does all it is supposed to do who cares what model the sound is supposed to be for. It's far and above the quality of a stock HL.</div>

YHR 09-05-2012 05:01 PM

With a little work a Benedini could be mated with this to give you the unique engine sounds, and programmability. That is my primary interest in testing

George Jure 09-05-2012 05:36 PM

Hello

Reg. the turret traverse speed, could you not put in line a resistor to reduce the voltage going to the traverse motor to get the desired speed effect. All it would take is measuring the voltage going to the traverse motor and try a few resistors. Ohm`s Law ; I (current mA) = E(voltage) / R( resistance ohms) adjust the formula R = E/I and you get the value resistor you need or near enough to experiment with a few values.

George

AFV432 09-06-2012 06:22 AM

ORIGINAL: B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: AFV432

Rob

Rob, are you hinting, should the TK-20 be a huge hit, that Clark could possibly be thinking to release other TK-20 German, Russian, &amp; Allied sound sets after the initial sets, which will have different sounds to accommodate more tanks? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...n/confused.gif

This would be fantastic news, as Clark had earlier implied that the TK-20 was only going to have very limited sound sets (he mentioned 1 German, 1 Russian, &amp; 1 Allied version), &amp; that all the hard work in collecting &amp; creating all the many specific tank sound sets was going to be reserved for the making of the more advanced TK-30 boards.

If that is the case, then it's a 180&ordm; stance from my understanding of what he mentioned just about a month ago concerning the plans for the TK-20 ... another feature I had asked about, which Clark also answered with a firm "no", was about plans on releasing a board with easy access to user changeable sounds ... hopefully he can be persuaded to do a 180&ordm; on that decision as well ... we can always hope, can't we? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

~ Craig ~

This certainly is the aim now craig
we are helping clark secure more soundsets from actual tanks and yes they will be model specific
who nows what the future holds people may opt straight for the tk30 and with the tk60 in development we may see a "User" defined sound system

ive pushed clark for this but its just going to add more money to the boards which he doesnt want at the moment.
His main aim is to get a reliable decent sounding Tamiya able battling board which i beleive he has

Looks and sounds really good, non model specific aside. The the turret traverse isentirelyto fast for a WWII tank though. May be accurate for a modern tank but a Tiger I did not turn that fast, nor did the Panther.<div>The price is really the hook. If this thing does all it is supposed to do who cares what model the sound is supposed to be for. It's far and above the quality of a stock HL.</div>
Greg with the tk20 and 30 the more stick you give the rotation the faster it goes or you can creap round if you like ;)

George that certainly is an option but i dont think it will be needed at all ;)

Rob

FreakyDude 09-06-2012 11:05 AM

Can I have a potatoes peeler on one with a french frie maker lol.<div>
</div><div>Me thinks a dash of reality needs to be injected here.  The boards haven't even reached anybody and the demands for change are hitting the air waves. Maybe folks should wait and see if the changes are needed in the first place.</div>

Rebellion13 09-06-2012 11:37 AM

Haven't worked on a French fry maker, but I am working on using the smoker to spin some cotton candy out the tubes. I think this system looks promising.

Cheers
Wade

B.A.D.A.S.S.Force 09-06-2012 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Rebellion13

Haven't worked on a French fry maker, but I am working on using the smoker to spin some cotton candy out the tubes. I think this system looks promising.

Cheers
Wade
I already make my own fries, so that's one option I'll pass on ... however, I'll take 2 of the cotton candy smokers Wade!!! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/thumbup.gif

~ Craig ~

mustclime 09-06-2012 11:51 AM

I have to say that the price is right......I may have to get one for the e100......

B.A.D.A.S.S.Force 09-11-2012 12:46 PM

Anyone here receive their TK-20 board(s) here in the US or Canada yet? I've read about several UK customers who have received them a few days ago.

I ordered two boards, which were shipped consecutively on the 3rd &amp; 4th last week. The tracking number for the first package has never worked, it has only ever shown this:
"Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office."

The second package tracking number had shown the status of "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" for about 5 days, with the status finally changing to "Processed Through Sort Facility" on Sept 9th, though the date stamp showed it arrived at the NY facility on Sept 7th.

So I'm still waiting for either package to show up at my door ... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/71_71.gif

~ Craig ~

mustclime 09-12-2012 04:47 AM

My e100 kit took over 2 weeks and it was just plastic in a box, I am not sure how customs will handle an ir tank combat systemhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...unge_smile.gif